Dodged the 2020 bullet - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
View Poll Results: Will you get a new 2020 when available?
No 69 63.89%
Yes as soon as I can. 18 16.67%
When I pay my current AT off. 6 5.56%
Undecided a bit to much $$$$ 15 13.89%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

59Likes

post #11 of 152 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 11:41 AM

There is only one reason that would make me seriously consider trading up. and that is the 16,000 mile service. If the bikes designers have made a significant enough change to the bike that means this service is a lot less expensive in 'time' then that might be enough reason. Im not an early adopter of any bike, Im no guinea pig. I see a lot of positives for the new 'Sports. They have fixed the original bikes biggest issue for a great many owners, they have given buyers the option of going tubeless if they want to. Thats great.

However I remain very pleased with my own bike. And.. looking forward, There would have to be a big end of year discount next year that will mean I can swap without a great increase in my payments.

Im going to wait and see.. but right now, my answer is a firm NO.

30th anniversary DCT 'Sport.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 152 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 01:27 PM

I think the 2017 white/blue/red or red/black/white are the best looking variants. The only options I wish my 2017 had were the supposedly less likely to corrode spokes and cruise control. But I don't use cruise that often and I can change the spokes out if needed.

If I were in the market for an off-road oriented bike I'd buy a new 2018 and with the money saved throw on a set of panniers and possible a Touratech shock and be ready for the world. That is the bike would be ready but not necessarily the rider.

NC
post #13 of 152 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 02:54 PM

I voted no as I'm very happy with my 2016 Tri-colour manual. Was happy when I bought it with 4000 miles on it and since making many mods to improve what I thought was an already decent bike I really can't think of a reason I'd like to change it for something with many more upgrades than I'd know what to do with.
1100 miles without a glitch in my first year as owner has me trusting the bike to take me there and back without considering what may arise with a new model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 152 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANSOME View Post
- The cruisecontrol switches should be on the left switchgear, so as to avoid jerking the throttle while trying to activate this function.
- Speaking of switchgear, I count fourteen (14!) different buttons on the left switchgear alone! That's probably clumsy to operate.

I think that's something Honda really could improve on. The horn above the indicator on my 2019 takes a lot of getting used to after years and hundreds of thousands of km riding bikes of just about every other brand that have them the other way around. I'm still struggling a bit with it at times, I can only imagine with the new controller...finding the horn button will be like playing whack a mole. Also agree with Cruise control button needing to be on the left.

Had I not bought a 2019, I would have certainly considered it, but I'll be more than happy to keep my bike a couple years
post #15 of 152 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hmm a lot more “no’s” then I expected. But I do see the point, spending lots of $$ to make a great bike even better and not wanting to just jump on the next new thing. But for me that’s also half the fun ( ok and a few curse words when upgrades don’t go as planned ) modding, upgrading, farkels. Yea I get the “eye roll” and the “head shaking no” also the “more crap for your bike” from my ol’lady, but that’s is far as it goes with her, she knows I enjoy doing that stuff and I’m happy doing it, so at the end of the day she has no issues with me throwing money at my hobby. As for all the tech. BRING IT ON!!!! I’m a certifiable techno geek, ****, even both my door knobs are digital. So I absolutely L O V E that stuff, the more gadgets, switches and electronics the better and I gotta say that 2020 ATAS has got me drooling. But in the end it is just a “want” not a need. Eventually tho it will get the better of me and I will get one and star all over again. But new things are fun
Yarg Eggers likes this.

“If necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.” A.A.
post #16 of 152 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 07:18 PM

So, I'd like to hear from the "2" as of this posting that said "As soon as I can"....

2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
post #17 of 152 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 07:28 PM

For some people this will be a great great bike and they should upgrade. I go on really long arduous day trips on rough roads once a week and the current iteration is close to perfect for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #18 of 152 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvArt View Post
So, I'd like to hear from the "2" as of this posting that said "As soon as I can"....
I’m one of them, LOL, I should have put a couple more choices in my pole, all I really could say was that...
I’m not getting one right away but I most definitely will eventually get one.. So my “soon” is in the distant future...
AdvArt likes this.

“If necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.” A.A.
post #19 of 152 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 07:55 PM

Call your insurance agent first and get an estimate. Crossing the 1000 cc threshold may put it in a different rating category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #20 of 152 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 09:06 PM

No thanks. Cruise control would be nice - but I already have a throttle lock. I like my dash well enough thank you. I could care less about the extra CC's, though I'm glad the weight went down a pound. I wonder about the gas mileage? I do like the cornering lights. I bought my ATAS in April, and the rumors of a larger engine were pretty load - along with talk of cruise control. Because of that I got my ATAS for $11,500. I sold my CRF250L, and traded in an FZ-09 and a KLX140L to where it was an even 3 for 1 trade - even though the CRF and FZ were both 6 years old. At $17,000 (and $1,000 less trade in) I'd of had to pay over $7,000. I owe nothing on my ATAS - and I like that. With $7,000 difference I can afford to take several trips instead. Offer me one for my ATAS and $2,000 and I would at least consider it - but not for anything more than that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page