Dodged the 2020 bullet - Page 3 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
View Poll Results: Will you get a new 2020 when available?
No 69 63.89%
Yes as soon as I can. 18 16.67%
When I pay my current AT off. 6 5.56%
Undecided a bit to much $$$$ 15 13.89%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

59Likes

post #21 of 152 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 03:06 AM

Iíve turned my 2016 AT into a virtually perfect bike for me and my needs. Iíve spent far too much on it and wonder how many of my upgrades would be able to transfer over, which in reality is probably not many, if any. I really donít fancy starting all over again as I know the new bike will be good, but thereís always areas that could be made better, and I always strive to make something better for me which means more £££ís thrown at it.

So no, Iíll be running my Ď16 bike for years to come.
jamnut likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 152 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 04:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANSOME View Post
I also see a few negative points already:
- Higher price. One of the selling points for the <2019 ATAS was how much bike you get for your dollar.
- The new Double Dash looks off. Couldn't they have incorporated speed and gear on the nav screen?
- The cruisecontrol switches should be on the left switchgear, so as to avoid jerking the throttle while trying to activate this function.
- Speaking of switchgear, I count fourteen (14!) different buttons on the left switchgear alone! That's probably clumsy to operate.
- The standard Africa Twin still has Tube Type tires.
- Personally I prefer the looks of the "old" bike.
Regarding your negative points above:
- Yes, too high price. In my country (Italy) they are expliciting targeting BMW's GS customers: they dropped the standard suspension Adv Sport configuration so we only got ES expensive version (around 20k euros!).
- The double dash unfortunately is needed because the Car Play takes ownership of the whole TFT and they needed a way to replicate basic info and engine lights. To me it looks off, too.
- Cruise control switches are well thought: in the video they show how easy (and natural) is using them with the right inch, in a single move you can switch it on and set the speed. I think they really studied it well.
- Switches on the left side looks overwhelming, but I think we need to see in real world how they perform. The touchable TFT will help a lot, I suppose. In the meantime they put the pass/high beam command in the proper place, at last.
- Standard AT is an off road machine, like they say. So it looks natural it has tubes. For sure there will be a lot of people looking for the tubeless wheels of the Adv!
- For a judgement about the look I'll wait to see it live, probably in EICMA 2019 at the beginning of november. The current is really nice, but some fresh design is welcome, in my opinion.

Having said that, I think I'll surely upgrade to an ES Adventure Sports, but not soon. I would like to use my MY2018 Standard some more time as I really like it (and I have to pay off debt )... I just need to replace a couple parts to make it more enjoyable (rear shock, mainly, probably with an AirTender unit).

post #23 of 152 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvArt View Post
So, I'd like to hear from the "2" as of this posting that said "As soon as I can"....
I've put a deposit down with my dealer, not sure what variant I will get until I see them in the metal. My early 16 bike is staying.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
AdvArt and AT-Dragon like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 152 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 06:27 AM

I will take my time on this. First of all, my bike is new. I have the 18 ATAS with just 12500km and, with all those extras I put on it cost me way too much to trade it so soon.

On the other hand I am not sure I like the looks of the new ATAS (I am not even looking at the standard one). I find the implementation of the cornering lights somewhat FAIL. Maybe the photos do not flatter it, but definitely it did not gave me the good impression of the 18 ATAS when I first looked at it (and fell for it instantly).

Still, I think it will eventually grow to me. But I shall be looking for a swap after 2-3 years. I do envy the screen, but this is not a dominant factor for me, neither is the subtle power increase.

In the meantime, I hope the wheels are interchangeable with the 2018 model and at a logical price....if yes, this is a swap I will do in a heartbeat.
post #25 of 152 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 08:31 AM

I prefer bikes with fewer electronics because I travel far (Asia, Africa), venture in remote areas off-road and even when I travel in Europe I do so without road assistance. In this context, my 2017 manual AT has proved an excellent bike with a few modifications and have already put 40K ml / 64K km on it in 2.5 years of ownership. I could be possibly tempted by the non-ATAS 2020 despite more electronics (it is a Honda after all), if there was a significant torque/power hike on the rear wheel - although I doubt it.
post #26 of 152 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 06:35 PM

Put me in the buy one as soon as I can with one caveat - if the V4 Multistrada is available about the same time, my $$$ are going there.

While I love a lot of thing about my ATAS DCT, I would spend thousands to mod the things I want to take care of that appear to be addressed in the 2020 model. For example, tubeless tires. That is a few thousand right there. Yes I could try and do the rim taping but that isn't the best solution. I would love an actual cruise control. I use a crappy clamp type throttle lock now but I love having and electric one like my other bikes. Having both headlights work together should mean better lighting and I am not opposed to that. The electronic suspension is a big plus on my XR and Multi so I would love to have that as well. A bit more motor, why not? Helps with another complaint of mine. Maybe with the bigger motor they'll get the fueling right. The lean surging on mine drives me crazy. Aftermarket power commander or similar is another chunk of money.

Maybe they will have fixed the crappy airflow that roasts my nuts on a hot day. The hot air on a 100F day just bathes my legs in hot air when going down the highway. I've never had another bike in my life (over 100 now) that roasts me the way the AT does on the highway on a hot day. I've had a lot roast the chestnuts when stopped on a hot day in traffic but nothing while moving like the AT. Will love to have Apple Car Play integration. I use it all the time on my other cars. Saves me a lot of time and I use Waze 100% of the time.

IF I made all the changes to my current AT I would throw thousands at it and it would still be worth what it is now without the mods. Mods are just like dumping money down a sinkhole with respect to resale. Maybe worth it for my short term enjoyment but if I have to deviate too far from stock, I probably bought the wrong bike in the first place...
post #27 of 152 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 10:29 PM

The ES very looks like a grown up motorcycle. I need a few more years of growing up before I move in that direction.&#x1f602;
post #28 of 152 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Wow up to 5 in as soon as I can...

ďIf necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.Ē A.A.
post #29 of 152 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 10:59 PM

If I was looking for a new bike I would jump at the 2020. Checks off most of my boxes. When I bought my 2018 I almost felt that way and it still pretty much meets all my needs. Cruise Control, tubeless tires and the improved screen with Apple Play would be real nice to have. But certainly not trading in my 2018 to get them. By the time I'm ready for a new bike who knows what options they'll have.
AT-Dragon likes this.
post #30 of 152 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dascooter View Post
If I was looking for a new bike I would jump at the 2020. Checks off most of my boxes. When I bought my 2018 I almost felt that way and it still pretty much meets all my needs. Cruise Control, tubeless tires and the improved screen with Apple Play would be real nice to have. But certainly not trading in my 2018 to get them. By the time I'm ready for a new bike who knows what options they'll have.
My guess would be.. sooner or later. Shaft drive.

30th anniversary DCT 'Sport.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page