Dodged the 2020 bullet - Page 6 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
View Poll Results: Will you get a new 2020 when available?
No 70 64.22%
Yes as soon as I can. 18 16.51%
When I pay my current AT off. 6 5.50%
Undecided a bit to much $$$$ 15 13.76%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

60Likes

post #51 of 152 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djairouks View Post
Don't get me wrong, I would recommend the AT, to people who really want to do off-road, it really excels there, it's a fun bike to drive in mountain passes too or to have fun on weekends, but for more of a touring orientation with much less off-roading and everyday ease of use, it's not the best choice I see that now with experience, just no BMW for me [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/AfricaTwinForum/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG] thanks.

So if my needs weren't different now and my confidence in Honda wasn't what it is now, I would definitely buy the next AT and even recommend it as well. I am too much of a tourer and I attack quite hard on curvy roads, so overall the 21" is getting scary for me and as I don't do enough off-road, so that's why I'm also swapping. The issues I got are maybe not so wide spread that's fine, but it just confirms to me my choice of changing the motorcycle.

When I searched the used market here in Switzerland, I was suprised to find 132 ATs for sale lots with barely few Km from 2016, weird to find so many Honda since for years the best seller has been the MT-09 from 14 and there's only 114 of these. All the models from 2016 and some good mileage, show the same aging of plastics than mine, I guess it's just a question of time.
I totally understand. When I initially started bike shopping for the AT, I was thinking more along the lines of sport touring. I was really wanting an fjr. Long story short, I ended up getting the AT, but I'm so glad I did. I hadn't had a motorcycle in a few years and had moved to the mountains in north carolina. There is a whole world here of riding off pavement that would've made me so disappointed in such a street biased bike.

Everything is a compromise of some kind and the AT is a good mix for me. It suits my touring very well and I'm not sure what I'd replace it with at this point.

I'm truly sorry your bike gave you trouble... I do think we're fortunate in this day and age to have so many great choices. Bike shopping is one of the most enjoyable things there is! 🙂
Djairouks likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 152 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTwin View Post
Interesting comparison with Yamaha, my friends MT07 Tracer had two winter's in the UK and turned to cheese, my CRF is spotless in the same time period.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Oh I know Yamaha quality on the cheap models isn't so good, but at least it costs almost half the price of the AT !

My Yamaha I would say, is the last model they did with some quality before the MT line, I see plenty FZ8 or Fazer 8 like mine that still look fantastic, but the model began in 2010, back then Yamahas were better finished if you ask me. Nowadays I find only the R1 and FJR 1300 to be really well finished, it's a shame really !

Yamaha XJ6 : the one who started it all (sold)
Kawasaki Versys 650 : 1st trail and sportbike predator (sold after accident)
Yamaha FZ8 : sexiest of them all (sold )
Yamaha MT-09 : waking the hooligan in me (sold not to die...)
Africa Twin : taming the hooligan slightly
Fazer 8 : the every day jack of all tades

Last edited by Djairouks; 09-29-2019 at 03:51 PM.
post #53 of 152 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 05:57 PM

Garage
Reasons I have my order in for the New Africa Twin:

1. Weight of unit - Honda NC750 DCT weight is 500 lbs
Suzuki VStrom 650 weight is 490 lbs
BMW R1250 GS is 549 lbs
2020 Honda Africa Twin DCT Sports ES weight is 520 with the new light frame

So, not really a issue.

2. More power in the 2020 Honda Africa Twin DCT Sports is increased to 100 horse power. Any motorcycle that will run the speed limit is all I really need.

So, more power makes no difference to me, as it is not needed for most situations I will get into.

3. New frame with lower set high makes a big difference to me, as I could not even consider riding the 2019 Honda Africa Twin with out folks posted to catch me at every stop. The new lower seat height standard is 33.4 inches and you can buy a lower seat if needed. Only 1/4 of an inch higher than my 2016 model.

So, the new frame on the Honda Africa Twin is a big plus for me.

4. 525 drive chain as opposed to the 520 drive chain. Could get a BMW R 1250 GS with shaft drive, but it is $7000 more.

So, got no problem with chain life that is almost double that of the 520 drive chain.

5. Rims are spoked tubeless size 21 inch and 18 inch the perfect dirt size rims and tires.

So, on the road I will only have to plug the tire, and not change the tube. Over the years I believe I have had a flat on a motorcycle in every state. Plug a whole lot easier.

6. Electronic Suspension.

So, no more bent rims when I go to the dirt. I did bend and brake a few rims. Oh yeah, will not have to stop and let air out of the tire in the dirt and add air when on the pavement.

7. Extended Warranty a must with all these electric modules.

So, I will have to purchase the 8 year extended warranty at around a grand.

8. Cruise Control.

So, no more fingers going to sleep when spending long hours on the road

9. When you open the seat now you turn the key and the back seat comes off first. Easy push lever to remove the front seat now.

So, easy to get the book out from under the seat, and install the seat in the low position.

10. Will not be available for about 6 months

So, with my luck the next tsunami storm is about to total another Honda plant in Japan. It always takes me almost a year to get my new motorcycle from the time I ordered it. Also, I will be beyond rabbit if DCTFAN gets his before I do this time.

10. So, I ordered my 2020 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sport ES DCT about 5 minutes after I saw the bike about 5 days ago. Bad thing is I now have to get back into ducking practice before my wife finds out.

One thing about being in your mid 70’s is you know what to expect !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Besides I most likely will not live long enough to pay off this bike, but what a good time I will have going out!!!
SkipD, DCTFAN, ArqCC and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 152 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Can Ride View Post

BMW R1250 GS is 549 lbs

So, not really a issue.

2. More power in the 2020 Honda Africa Twin DCT Sports is increased to 100 horse power. Any motorcycle that will run the speed limit is all I really need.

So, more power makes no difference to me, as it is not needed for most situations I will get into.

3. New frame with lower set high makes a big difference to me, as I could not even consider riding the 2019 Honda Africa Twin with out folks posted to catch me at every stop. The new lower seat height standard is 33.4 inches and you can buy a lower seat if needed. Only 1/4 of an inch higher than my 2016 model.

4. 525 drive chain as opposed to the 520 drive chain. Could get a BMW R 1250 GS with shaft drive, but it is $7000 more.

So, got no problem with chain life that is almost double that of the 520 drive chain.

5. Rims are spoked tubeless size 21 inch and 18 inch the perfect dirt size rims and tires.

So, on the road I will only have to plug the tire, and not change the tube. Over the years I believe I have had a flat on a motorcycle in every state. Plug a whole lot easier.

So, no more bent rims when I go to the dirt. I did bend and brake a few rims. Oh yeah, will not have to stop and let air out of the tire in the dirt and add air when on the pavement.

8. Cruise Control.

9. When you open the seat now you turn the key and the back seat comes off first. Easy push lever to remove the front seat now.

So, easy to get the book out from under the seat, and install the seat in the low position.

So, with my luck the next tsunami storm is about to total another Honda plant in Japan. It always takes me almost a year to get my new motorcycle from the time I ordered it. Also, I will be beyond rabbit if DCTFAN gets his before I do this time.

10. So, I ordered my 2020 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sport ES DCT about 5 minutes after I saw the bike about 5 days ago. Bad thing is I now have to get back into ducking practice before my wife finds out.

One thing about being in your mid 70’s is you know what to expect !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Besides I most likely will not live long enough to pay off this bike, but what a good time I will have going out!!!
Yea it DOES have all the bells and whistles, to a tech w h o r e like me it IS the temptation of the the apple from Eden, but deliver me not into temptation but back to my 18 Adventure Sport
just for a while longer

“If necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.” A.A.
post #55 of 152 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 10:29 AM

Garage
Rest easy, OCR
I am passing on this iteration of the AT as I am still enjoying 65k+ miles on DCT #2
Just remember we're supposed to ride our age as far as speed goes
The 2020 CRF1100L should fit right in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltabi View Post
Me, too. Without a doubt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Can Ride View Post

BMW R1250 GS is 549 lbs

So, not really a issue.

8. Cruise Control.

Quote:
2016 CRF1000LD, '15 NC700XD, '14 CTX700ND
post #56 of 152 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 09:25 AM

Yes I bought one today traded my 2016 DCT for an 2020 DCT ES. The dealer will give his demo machine to me. Lot of money yes (22K) but I think I work for it and the free time which I have is for this hobby/life. I will not wait on all tests and reviews here on the internet with a lot of bullshit.
post #57 of 152 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitf View Post
Yes I bought one today traded my 2016 DCT for an 2020 DCT ES. The dealer will give his demo machine to me. Lot of money yes (22K) but I think I work for it and the free time which I have is for this hobby/life. I will not wait on all tests and reviews here on the internet with a lot of bullshit.
Great! Good for you...
Can’t wait to see some pics and hear your thoughts on the new bike when you finally get it...
deltabi likes this.

“If necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.” A.A.
post #58 of 152 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 03:00 AM

Yes I will let know it here and post some pitcures. Gerta also happy because 3500,00 euro of the total price is CO2 tax.
deltabi likes this.
post #59 of 152 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 12:59 PM

Ordered a 2020 DCT ES Tri-color last saturday. Only today Honda PT has fixed the price in 19.000,00 €! The bike will arrive by the end of October.
2020 ATAS ES goes for 17.900,00 €
deltabi likes this.
post #60 of 152 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 02:36 PM

The prices of accessories are unknown here in NL. You save 3k lucky man one EU my ass
ArqCC likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page