Dodged the 2020 bullet - Page 7 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
View Poll Results: Will you get a new 2020 when available?
No 70 64.22%
Yes as soon as I can. 18 16.51%
When I pay my current AT off. 6 5.50%
Undecided a bit to much $$$$ 15 13.76%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

60Likes

post #61 of 152 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 03:24 PM

I feel bad for the issues some have had. I live 5 miles from the ocean and no corrosion issues yet on my 2018. I've ridden in the rain a lot (it is Florida and rain goes with the sun here) and up and down the coast along the sea. So far my bike still looks like new.

I am still leaning toward the 2020 AS model. They really did address most of the design issues that have bothered me. Cruise is a must as some of the straight boring highways here make me just want to keep twisting my wrist to dispose of the ASAP. Cruise helps me keep my license in my possession. The more I read my AT the more I want a few more HP as well. Having dual headlights should make night riding even better. The sooner I can see an alligator laying in the road the better. I'll never forget blasting out of a turn one night just to encounter about 20 alligators laying on the road apparently for warmth or who knows why but I hit the first 2 on my bike.

At least the kept the color choice pretty close to my tri-color anniversary scheme. There is only one production bike I've owned that seems to engage as many random people in conversation as the AT and that is my Ducati xDiavel S. That bike is the proverbial chick magnet ans well as everyone else. The AT really seems to draw a lot of attention when I stop. On a dollar spent per conversation started the AT wins with that metric. It is like pulling up on a Labradoddle or something like that.

I think the new version will retain a lot of that essence. Not a big fan of the cost increase but you have to pay to play. It is really a good all around bike. Just can see myself taking any more than about 500 mile trips on it. Too much dirt bike in the saddle for that and just a bit underpowered once up to about 80 compared to what I like.
Djairouks and AT-Dragon like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 152 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavshrdr View Post
I feel bad for the issues some have had. I live 5 miles from the ocean and no corrosion issues yet on my 2018. I've ridden in the rain a lot (it is Florida and rain goes with the sun here) and up and down the coast along the sea. So far my bike still looks like new.

I am still leaning toward the 2020 AS model. They really did address most of the design issues that have bothered me. Cruise is a must as some of the straight boring highways here make me just want to keep twisting my wrist to dispose of the ASAP. Cruise helps me keep my license in my possession. The more I read my AT the more I want a few more HP as well. Having dual headlights should make night riding even better. The sooner I can see an alligator laying in the road the better. I'll never forget blasting out of a turn one night just to encounter about 20 alligators laying on the road apparently for warmth or who knows why but I hit the first 2 on my bike.

At least the kept the color choice pretty close to my tri-color anniversary scheme. There is only one production bike I've owned that seems to engage as many random people in conversation as the AT and that is my Ducati xDiavel S. That bike is the proverbial chick magnet ans well as everyone else. The AT really seems to draw a lot of attention when I stop. On a dollar spent per conversation started the AT wins with that metric. It is like pulling up on a Labradoddle or something like that.

I think the new version will retain a lot of that essence. Not a big fan of the cost increase but you have to pay to play. It is really a good all around bike. Just can see myself taking any more than about 500 mile trips on it. Too much dirt bike in the saddle for that and just a bit underpowered once up to about 80 compared to what I like.
It is what it is, with any adventure bike you can only have one foot in each world at a time. It’s an issue of getting that nice 50/50 split and unfortunately you gotta give up some things that are good for the road to be good in the dirt and some things that are good for the dirt to be good on the road.. it not gonna be a GL1800B or a CRF150R but in my opinion for what it is and what it’s for, it dose do one outstanding job... And the 2020 is looking to up the game a bit..tho admittedly changing the split a bit to something like 40/60 (AT) and
60/40 (ATAS)

“If necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.” A.A.

Last edited by AT-Dragon; 10-05-2019 at 06:52 AM.
post #63 of 152 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 12:06 PM

I sure hope new models will suffer less from the gearbox, because I didn't read that they did any modification on this aspect !

Funny thing about the plastics, my new Triumph mecanic told me basically that my specialized plastic cleaner, is crap and the way they maintain everything pristine in their garage is using WD40, except on saddles and brakes of course !

I sure don't regret my switch, with the occasional off-road I do, a standard AT was overkill, I need far more touring capacity and in the 2020 models, this means I would have needed to go for DCT ATAS to be certain not getting a crappy gearbox... so 248Kg and only things I don't have on my Triumph are cornering lights/ABS, +4.8l of fuel and really I prefer a 19" for touring, so to me that's kind of crazy for a price tag in my country of 20'000CHF (rumored might be more).
Also a 6HP difference to me is much less interresant than having an actually lighter motorcycle.

I'm sure it will please people and be great, but the price is slightly overblown if you ask me, I got my 213Kg Tiger without cornering lights/ABS but heating seats, for 15'000CHF and all the same TFT, cruise control etc so I just couldn't justify nor afford to pay 5'000 more and lug Something that's 35kg heavier.
I just take a 5l 631gr jerrycan with me and the heating seat is allready making me a very happy camper, didn't expect this at all, but as I'm mostly riding solo the Tiger is much more adapted !

Yamaha XJ6 : the one who started it all (sold)
Kawasaki Versys 650 : 1st trail and sportbike predator (sold after accident)
Yamaha FZ8 : sexiest of them all (sold )
Yamaha MT-09 : waking the hooligan in me (sold not to die...)
Africa Twin : taming the hooligan slightly
Fazer 8 : the every day jack of all tades

Last edited by Djairouks; 10-05-2019 at 12:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 152 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 12:21 PM

Motorcycles are the best way to turn $20,000 into $5,000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gvmumbral likes this.
post #65 of 152 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djairouks View Post
I sure hope new models will suffer less from the gearbox, because I didn't read that they did any modification on this aspect.

I need far more touring capacity and in the 2020 models, this means I would have needed to go for DCT ATAS to be certain not getting a crappy gearbox.
I have no idea what you are talking about here. The gearbox on my bike is as smooth as butter and gear changes are nothing more than a click, 1st. Click, 2nd. Click, 3rd and so on. Up and down the gearbox. Over the past year I haven't heard of a single complaint, not one. About the gearbox on the 2018/19 Adventure Sports or Standard Africa Twin with DCT transmission. It might be different for the Manual bike... But that type never interested me.
So far as the 2020 DCT is concerned, I can't imagine how the could make it any better in such a way that owners of previous bikes would want to upgrade purely due to that. How it changes gear, as it's as close to perfect as is possible to imagine.
ArqCC likes this.

30th anniversary DCT 'Sport.
post #66 of 152 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motobiker View Post
I have no idea what you are talking about here. The gearbox on my bike is as smooth as butter and gear changes are nothing more than a click, 1st. Click, 2nd. Click, 3rd and so on. Up and down the gearbox. Over the past year I haven't heard of a single complaint, not one. About the gearbox on the 2018/19 Adventure Sports or Standard Africa Twin with DCT transmission. It might be different for the Manual bike... But that type never interested me.
So far as the 2020 DCT is concerned, I can't imagine how the could make it any better in such a way that owners of previous bikes would want to upgrade purely due to that. How it changes gear, as it's as close to perfect as is possible to imagine.
Well you can search the related posts here and on other forums, some 2016 manual bikes have false neutrals between 4-5, 5-6 and on my AT i got 3 times 5th to 6th in one weeks at 140kmh on the highway, resulting in almost crashing in the car behind, this is totally unpredictable and not driver related.
This was from the beginning, but after 34'000Km it intensified a lot.

As the DCT gearbox is different yes you didn't experience anything, I know this is a small percentage issue, still imagine yourself in my shoes, seeing death from close 3 times in a Week, I'm not even exagerating, this is really not fun and Honda didn't give a ****, so I saw no other solution than to change motorcycle.

That's why I said better buy the DCT 2020, which most likely will be great, but not for me !

post #67 of 152 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 08:23 AM

Red face

Djairouks I can understand you that you lost the trust in your bike. But I think you should kick your dealer under his ass that he not solved this problem for you. When you has this problem from the beginning then it is even more worse. If I was your dealer I took then machine back and give a new bike. There is also something as consumers rights if a product fails you have right for replacement or money back.
You may be expect that Honda would do something about it but what is Switzerland or EU for Honda ( not only Honda) nothing. A market where you have to put a lot of money in and with governments which can,t look on long term. All that environmental **** you get crazy of it. Like with diesel cars we paid for euro 6 now we are criminals and losing money because we can,t sell them anymore.
If you feel comfortable with your Tiger that is most important thing and I feel myself comfortable to spend 23000 euro for a brand new CRF1100 Adventure Sport ES with DCT.
post #68 of 152 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitf View Post
Djairouks I can understand you that you lost the trust in your bike. But I think you should kick your dealer under his ass that he not solved this problem for you. When you has this problem from the beginning then it is even more worse. If I was your dealer I took then machine back and give a new bike. There is also something as consumers rights if a product fails you have right for replacement or money back.
You may be expect that Honda would do something about it but what is Switzerland or EU for Honda ( not only Honda) nothing. A market where you have to put a lot of money in and with governments which can,t look on long term. All that environmental **** you get crazy of it. Like with diesel cars we paid for euro 6 now we are criminals and losing money because we can,t sell them anymore.
If you feel comfortable with your Tiger that is most important thing and I feel myself comfortable to spend 23000 euro for a brand new CRF1100 Adventure Sport ES with DCT.
Sure to each their own bike, AT is not bad per se, I had many fun trips but yeah the Tiger is better for what I do !

Honestly my dealership are good guys, but they can't do anything in Switzerland the market is a joke, we Always get more expensive models than neigbours, France, Germany, Italy and custommer service is BS we are too small, they would have never changed a whole bike for a false neutral, Honda would say it's user problem.

Anyway the problem is my first year, I might have had one or two False neutral and not on a highway at high speed, so I just brushed it off, as me not switching well, but second year i got more of them bike was allready 20'000ish Km and I didn't want to sell it because of this, but lately 3 in one Week almost crashing, even if the dealership had given me options which they didn't, the 2020 aren't available and I need my bike, but I lost faith in the bike and Honda to be honest… hopefully Triumph will have better custommer service, or I'll be back to the most flawless brand I owned, Yamaha, hopefully won't need to.

I have worked and lived in USA in 2010 and I can definitely say custommer services in europe, are almost all a joke, in the US I would have gone to the dealership and they would have taken this seriously, in Europe they will just do things to show they act, but make it last and in the end they expect you to just let it slide.

Last edited by Djairouks; 10-06-2019 at 09:40 AM.
post #69 of 152 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 11:28 AM

Costumer service is indeed a joke in Europe due to difficult laws and going to court cost you a lot of money. That you can also see on several Beemer sites. I see it also with products which I sell in my company products outside EU are more reliable.
Djairouks likes this.
post #70 of 152 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 01:05 PM

Just googled stock chain on Africa Twin and everything says a 525 is stock. I also can clearly see 525 on the chain on my 2017.

When you say 525 chain are you suggesting the pre 202o model was a 520 or that other bikes in general are a 520?

NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Can Ride View Post
Reasons I have my order in for the New Africa Twin:

1. Weight of unit - Honda NC750 DCT weight is 500 lbs
Suzuki VStrom 650 weight is 490 lbs
BMW R1250 GS is 549 lbs
2020 Honda Africa Twin DCT Sports ES weight is 520 with the new light frame

So, not really a issue.

2. More power in the 2020 Honda Africa Twin DCT Sports is increased to 100 horse power. Any motorcycle that will run the speed limit is all I really need.

So, more power makes no difference to me, as it is not needed for most situations I will get into.

3. New frame with lower set high makes a big difference to me, as I could not even consider riding the 2019 Honda Africa Twin with out folks posted to catch me at every stop. The new lower seat height standard is 33.4 inches and you can buy a lower seat if needed. Only 1/4 of an inch higher than my 2016 model.

So, the new frame on the Honda Africa Twin is a big plus for me.

4. 525 drive chain as opposed to the 520 drive chain. Could get a BMW R 1250 GS with shaft drive, but it is $7000 more.

So, got no problem with chain life that is almost double that of the 520 drive chain.

5. Rims are spoked tubeless size 21 inch and 18 inch the perfect dirt size rims and tires.

So, on the road I will only have to plug the tire, and not change the tube. Over the years I believe I have had a flat on a motorcycle in every state. Plug a whole lot easier.

6. Electronic Suspension.

So, no more bent rims when I go to the dirt. I did bend and brake a few rims. Oh yeah, will not have to stop and let air out of the tire in the dirt and add air when on the pavement.

7. Extended Warranty a must with all these electric modules.

So, I will have to purchase the 8 year extended warranty at around a grand.

8. Cruise Control.

So, no more fingers going to sleep when spending long hours on the road

9. When you open the seat now you turn the key and the back seat comes off first. Easy push lever to remove the front seat now.

So, easy to get the book out from under the seat, and install the seat in the low position.

10. Will not be available for about 6 months

So, with my luck the next tsunami storm is about to total another Honda plant in Japan. It always takes me almost a year to get my new motorcycle from the time I ordered it. Also, I will be beyond rabbit if DCTFAN gets his before I do this time.

10. So, I ordered my 2020 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sport ES DCT about 5 minutes after I saw the bike about 5 days ago. Bad thing is I now have to get back into ducking practice before my wife finds out.

One thing about being in your mid 70’s is you know what to expect !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Besides I most likely will not live long enough to pay off this bike, but what a good time I will have going out!!!

Last edited by Numbercruncher; 10-06-2019 at 01:16 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page