Dodged the 2020 bullet - Page 9 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
View Poll Results: Will you get a new 2020 when available?
No 70 64.22%
Yes as soon as I can. 18 16.51%
When I pay my current AT off. 6 5.50%
Undecided a bit to much $$$$ 15 13.76%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

60Likes

post #81 of 152 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor99 View Post
Isn't that anything, be it an automobile, motorcycle, or a television? A thousand dollar iPhone isn't worth $200 two years later.

If you ask me, the "new" features of the 2020 is more about Honda catching up to what should have already been offered on earlier models than it is about introducing new technology. ****, my 2004 Road King has cruise control...

Conversely, If Honda had released the 2020 as nothing but a relabeled 2019 model, everyone would be bitching about the lack of improvements.
You can’t please everyone every time, I do, however, applaud Honda for listening and addressing/improving. And not just putting out the same model in different colors for years. They are, for the most part, giving the public what they asked for, yea some things did take longer then others (like cruise control). But it is here.. and there are also plenty of people out there that could give a rats rear hole about having cruise control on a bike and also ones who’d say I’d rather spend that extra 2k on aftermarket stuff (referring back to the fist part of this reply)...

“If necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.” A.A.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 152 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Dragon View Post
You can’t please everyone every time, I do, however, applaud Honda for listening and addressing/improving. And not just putting out the same model in different colors for years. They are, for the most part, giving the public what they asked for, yea some things did take longer then others (like cruise control). But it is here.. and there are also plenty of people out there that could give a rats rear hole about having cruise control on a bike and also ones who’d say I’d rather spend that extra 2k on aftermarket stuff (referring back to the fist part of this reply)...

My problem here is more on the philosophy, honestly it feels like looking at a BMW brochure, 6 models but I still didn't see anywhere clearly if centerstands are stock on the ATAS, also seems no heated grips and I don't think seats even exist. That to me are the things that help you on everyday touring, so seems the bill will be even worse, because you will still need to add options and OEM are too expensive.

I loved adding all my options on my AT and for stuff like the aux lights, I bought a crazy good kit from alliexpress, for less than 50$, did install myself, crash bars I got OM bars half price from Honda bars, I really don't buy in the prices of these "BMWesque" Hondas, that's where I think they are getting out of touch.

I really dislike the looks of the Yamaha Tracer 900 GT, that's why I didn't buy it, but look at specs, for curiosity I added all options like my Triumph and final price was 15'342Chf, so same price as the Tiger 800 and they have a shifter on the Yamaha.

BTW are the prices you told me in USA, without taxes depending on each states, that's why it's so cheap or not !?

Yamaha XJ6 : the one who started it all (sold)
Kawasaki Versys 650 : 1st trail and sportbike predator (sold after accident)
Yamaha FZ8 : sexiest of them all (sold )
Yamaha MT-09 : waking the hooligan in me (sold not to die...)
Africa Twin : taming the hooligan slightly
Fazer 8 : the every day jack of all tades

Last edited by Djairouks; 10-09-2019 at 10:51 AM.
post #83 of 152 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 02:57 PM

First impressions today in Sardiene

https://youtu.be/LUc5JYMZu5g
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 152 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djairouks View Post
My problem here is more on the philosophy, honestly it feels like looking at a BMW brochure, 6 models but I still didn't see anywhere clearly if centerstands are stock on the ATAS, also seems no heated grips

BTW are the prices you told me in USA, without taxes depending on each states, that's why it's so cheap or not !?
I would think the heated grips wouldn’t be something the just got rid of on the ATAS..

The price quotes were just STARTING prices(base model’s) and also not including any taxes/registration fees/ and here we have what’s called a destination charge, that is basically a the shipping charge to the dealer from the warehouse (usually around 450$).. Then the average sales taxes is around 6% or so in most cases

“If necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.” A.A.
post #85 of 152 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 01:51 PM

Here in Canada there are only 4 models. The base AT and the Adventure Sport with or without DCT. I was looking at the Honda Canada website and they don't list heated grips but almost every review I've seen or read says they are there.

I require heated grips, a centre stand, and drop protection. I'm pretty sure heated grips are standard, centre stand is optional, and the "light bars" are only good against light drops so I already expect to add accessories. My hope is that the aftermarket can provide some luggage options before I have to shell out the Honda dollars for the hard panniers. No price on those yet but I expect them to be over $2000 all in. Probably more like $3000 with the top box. My current SW-Motech panniers on my CB500X were $1500 total without the top box.

My understanding is that some places in the world are getting the option of an Adventure Sport without electronic suspension. That would bring the models up to 6. Not here.

I am ordering my AT AS DCT in a few weeks when I have the time to go to my dealer and make a deal including trading in my current '17 CB500X. This was perfect timing for Honda to come out with an AT that fixes some of the little things I didn't like about the previous model as I have been looking for a bigger bike for adventure touring. I've done over 20,000 kms in 1.5 years on the CB500X. It works fine but I want cruise control for the long highway stretches and better capability off road when I'm there.

'17 CB500X / '20 AT AS (DCT?) in my future
post #86 of 152 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by circuitjc View Post
Here in Canada there are only 4 models. The base AT and the Adventure Sport with or without DCT. I was looking at the Honda Canada website and they don't list heated grips but almost every review I've seen or read says they are there.

I require heated grips, a centre stand, and drop protection. I'm pretty sure heated grips are standard, centre stand is optional, and the "light bars" are only good against light drops so I already expect to add accessories. My hope is that the aftermarket can provide some luggage options before I have to shell out the Honda dollars for the hard panniers. No price on those yet but I expect them to be over $2000 all in. Probably more like $3000 with the top box. My current SW-Motech panniers on my CB500X were $1500 total without the top box.

My understanding is that some places in the world are getting the option of an Adventure Sport without electronic suspension. That would bring the models up to 6. Not here.

I am ordering my AT AS DCT in a few weeks when I have the time to go to my dealer and make a deal including trading in my current '17 CB500X. This was perfect timing for Honda to come out with an AT that fixes some of the little things I didn't like about the previous model as I have been looking for a bigger bike for adventure touring. I've done over 20,000 kms in 1.5 years on the CB500X. It works fine but I want cruise control for the long highway stretches and better capability off road when I'm there.
Indeed in Switzerland there are 6 models, but as you explain I find pretty distastefull with such prices on ATAS here, to have to change crash bars and luggage and center stand adding more cost.
At least my Triumph was complete for less, It goes too much in the BMW dirrection here, less is more hehe !

post #87 of 152 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by circuitjc View Post

The heat grips are standard. Last week I have seen the prices of the accessories the center stand is here 184,00 euro there are serveral packs which you can buy from 600 to 3500 euro. I l wait for the aftermarket crash bars (OM or HEED) because what I see from the pictures the Honda version is same as the old one.
It is not known yet or Honda will have an introduction offer on the bike. I expect that my bike will arrive within 2 weeks.
post #88 of 152 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitf View Post
The heat grips are standard. Last week I have seen the prices of the accessories the center stand is here 184,00 euro there are serveral packs which you can buy from 600 to 3500 euro. I l wait for the aftermarket crash bars (OM or HEED) because what I see from the pictures the Honda version is same as the old one.
It is not known yet or Honda will have an introduction offer on the bike. I expect that my bike will arrive within 2 weeks.
I'm curious then, with heated grips standard and stand at 184, what can be 3500 euros I Don't see much more things than luggage !?

post #89 of 152 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djairouks View Post
I'm curious then, with heated grips standard and stand at 184, what can be 3500 euros I Don't see much more things than luggage !?

I didn’t see everything because it was just online. The dealer will call me if he has the complete overview.
Luggage motorprotection bars fog lights frame extensions for mounting suitcases. I expect that the price are including labour by the local dealer for mounting everything on your bike.
On my current bike I have mounted the complete set of OM which was 800 euro and it took me a 6 hours.
6 hours of labour incl workplace cos als 600.
If I have a update I let you know.

Kind regards
Djairouks likes this.
post #90 of 152 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Dragon View Post
Yes and no Davy F.... But Djairouks is not to blame so, yea IF DJ had rode his AT 50km a year only on sunny days at a speed a kid on a bike could pass him kept it in a temperature/humidity controlled environment, he WOULD have a nice clean brand new looking AT..... ????Hmmmm really ???? No. Honda did really really screw up on the first models. Now I commend Honda on addressing those issues and also listening to the feed back and improving the newer models. But the flagships launch was pretty much a “black eye” for Honda. The AT is an A D V E N T U R E bike, by definition it should be ok to get it wet, expect it to handle and operate in rough environments and bad terrain. Basically a mans bike that is not some “garage queen” baby that MUST be kept super clean and dry and just pushed around the garage for show. But yea HAD Djairouks just done that with his he would have a pretty new looking AT sitting at his place right now. But he didn’t, to me, it sounds like he rode it like an adventure bike SHOULD be ridden and, simply, it failed him, he did not fail the bike....
WOW....you obviously pigeonhole my bike as unused as it is immaculate, but don’t take into account I’ve taken it from Ireland all over the UK, France, Holland, Belgium, Germany in all sorts of weather. Therefore, I guess I haven’t failed the bike, nor it failed me.
dascooter likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page