Dodged the 2020 bullet - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
View Poll Results: Will you get a new 2020 when available?
No 50 64.10%
Yes as soon as I can. 14 17.95%
When I pay my current AT off. 4 5.13%
Undecided a bit to much $$$$ 10 12.82%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

38Likes

post #1 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Dodged the 2020 bullet

Well Iím glad I got my 2018 ATAS early this spring and still love this bike, I was thinking of waiting and see if the rumors were true about the 1100 in 2020. But then my brain overcame my impulse. Iím not a ďfirst yearí ANYTHING, I avoid first model years on everything I buy, inevitably, I believe, that the ďfirst yearsĒ are the problem years. Now thatís not to say later years will not have problems, but, in pretty much all complex items these are the years with the most issues. I will add at this point MAJOR KUDOS to Honda for listening to the publicís thoughts and responding to them, job well done there Honda. I understand itís a tough balancing act to get a product trike a motorcycle out, you pretty much have a limited time window for ALL the complex issues that need to be done and do it in a timely manner before your competition dose and put out a good solid product or you wonít be in business for long. But in the real world there are always issues and things happen, like the gas tank lining issue, the spoke issue, just things that or of course unwanted by Honda and the public but they do get addressed it only makes good business sense to do so, hence usually the later model years usually have less issues, will it be perfect, no, there are still a LOT of complex things that all have to work right for the whole thing to work right. But for the most part manufacturers have refined there parts/product and killed the gremlins.
Finally my point on the title of this post, tho I avoid the first model years Iím also an impulse buyer and the 2020 ATAS DCT has a LOT of new things that most definitely would of MADE me buy it, then when the first gremlin appeared regretted getting a first model year and kicking myself in my arse for knowing better and doing so anyway. Am I getting one. H E L L yea! But Iíll wait a couple years or so for the gremlins to be eradicated. As my saying goes ďIf you canít be happy with what you have, you canít be happy with what you want to haveĒ. So Iím in bliss with my current ATAS and Iím sure eventually will be totally happy with my new ATAS in the future...
Yarg Eggers likes this.

ďIf necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.Ē A.A.

Last edited by AT-Dragon; 09-24-2019 at 05:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hmm should of added a ďIíll wait and seeĒ to my poles answers...

ďIf necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.Ē A.A.
post #3 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 07:12 AM

I voted no. When it's time for my next bike, I'll be buying something that still retains some kind of keep it simple stupid ethos. From reading and posting in other threads and forums, I think I'm in the minority here. But these new bikes, while fancy and impressive, they're not representing the direction I'm going. They make the t7 much more attractive to me. I'm still curious about the rumored AT 850. My '17 is about as technically advanced as I desire to go.

At least there's always going to be a used market 😉

Like cell phones, there's always the pull for the sparkly new model. Living in this cycle leaves a person constantly throwing money away for the next big thing. So a guy sells his highly farkled, low mileage '18 at a huge loss (there's going to be a massive number of used AT's hitting the already bad market, who knows how low the price will go) he buys the 2020, farkles it..... Then do it again a few years from now when the next big thing comes?

I'm not financially able to play that game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 07:45 AM

I just bought (6 weeks ago) my ATAS at a great price. I considered waiting for the new model which was already well rumored. I came off of a 2017 BMW GSA which I found to be more road oriented than off-road. BTW, I ride 50/50. I tolerate roads to get to the dirt.

When I considered what I wanted the 2019 ATAS fit the bill (except the height). Now that the 2020s are out, I don't regret my decision. I wouldn't have bought the top of the line 2020 ATAS as it is too close to a BMW with all the gadgetry. And frankly if I was going to be primarily touring riding, 80% road, I'd have kept the BMW. IMO, it is an excellent bike if you spend most of your time onroad.

If I was going to buy a 2020 AT, I would have probably bought the new "Enduro". Which is basically what I have now. So for me there is no need to buy a new model year. Yeah, it has a bit more hp and torque, but on the dirt, the current model has all I need. I'm going to have my current wheels made more durable and tubeless at Woody's Wheel Works. The Enduro still has the tube rims...

I do like the new TFT display with Apple Car play. That is very cool. I imagine it really opens the choices for GPS apps.

And I don't know who all those people are that were clamoring for cruise control. I've got CC on my other bikes and don't use it, not even on my Touring Harley...

Lastly I wish they would have gone after the smaller bike market like the KTM 790 which is more dirt capable. If they built that, I'd sell my 2019 and buy a 2020...

2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
post #5 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 08:54 AM

i added a McCruise control and made my 2018 tubeless. All I'm missing is the fancy dashboard. I've got about $12k USD tied up in it. I have Heed crash bars and a Seat Concepts seat. Not much else I plan to add to this bike. I'm ok with not having a 2020.
AdvArt, deltabi and Speedo007 like this.

Tim
2018 ATAS
post #6 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 09:12 AM

Amphib, I too am in the minority. My 17 DCT is as fancy as I want to go. Yes, all those gadget and extras would be nice, but not £8k nice (estimate of price to change)
post #7 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 09:36 AM

Garage
I'm completely satisfied with '18 ATAS DCT. Price with Farkles was approved by Finance Committee. Under 1000CC has a bearing on Ins. Cost. Love the Paint HRC. Being retired sure figures into the financial side. Exceptions to usual rule of waiting on first year bikes
that I'm aware of are KO 750 Honda's. (1969) RE-5 Rotary (1975). I'll kick tires for sure but, unless another ship docks. I'm one happy camper
post #8 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 09:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by playinatwork View Post
i added a McCruise control and made my 2018 tubeless. All I'm missing is the fancy dashboard. I've got about $12k USD tied up in it. I have Heed crash bars and a Seat Concepts seat. Not much else I plan to add to this bike. I'm ok with not having a 2020.
You only need to add a "serious" rear shock and you'll be ok for some years! That's what I'll probably do with mine MY2018 Standard AT.

post #9 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 10:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphib View Post
I think I'm in the minority here. But these new bikes, while fancy and impressive, they're not representing the direction I'm going. They make the t7 much more attractive to me. I'm still curious about the rumored AT 850. My '17 is about as technically advanced as I desire to go.
You're not alone there, I'm of the same mind, even my '17 AT has too much going on for me. I can certainly see the allure of all this gadgetry and know there are a lot of people that really like it but its not for me. Like you said, the T7 has the perfect amount of tech for me

'17 Africa Twin, '82 MB5, '78 XL250s, '72 CB350K4
post #10 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 10:16 AM

Garage
I purchased my 2019 ATAS barely 10 days ago, on the exact same day that Honda announced the announcement day for the new model. Of course I was hoping I wouldn't get buyers remorse but I was also aware that I got a pretty good deal on my used ATAS (part due to the rumors). The way I see it this new bike is quite different from the bike I currently own and tailors to a different crowd. I also see a few negative points already:

- Higher price. One of the selling points for the <2019 ATAS was how much bike you get for your dollar.
- The new Double Dash looks off. Couldn't they have incorporated speed and gear on the nav screen?
- The cruisecontrol switches should be on the left switchgear, so as to avoid jerking the throttle while trying to activate this function.
- Speaking of switchgear, I count fourteen (14!) different buttons on the left switchgear alone! That's probably clumsy to operate.
- The standard Africa Twin still has Tube Type tires.
- Personally I prefer the looks of the "old" bike.

That being said, as of yesterday I'm on the market for a set of 2020 ATAS wheels hehe!
Pete likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in