No 2 5.88%
Why would I ? Im just gonna mod it to the way I ride 2 5.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

2Likes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
2020 for better or worse

Ok another poll on the new model.
I personally like the concept of splitting the two versions, the “standard” AT more rally/trail ready and “Adventure Sport” more tour ready. Now of course this is NOT to say that you can’t do one or the other with either bike. But it seems Honda leaning two different ways with the two models, one for someone who’s going to do more off tarmac and one who will do more touring.. NOT that that’s all they a exclusively do but off the rack, it’s more or less set up that way...

If necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy. A.A.

Last edited by AT-Dragon; 09-26-2019 at 11:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 04:15 AM

I voted "not sure".

I am considering only the ATAS, since I had never been interested on the Standard Version anyway (due to the compact size) and definitely not interested to the clearly dirt oriented new one.

On the new ATAS, I do like the screen (and the connectivity), the extra power, the adjustable screen, the tubeless tires, the cruise control and the ES option (although I do not think I would spend money on it), the cornering ABS.

I do not like that they made it shorter (suspension travel) and the shape of the saddle.

I am not yet sure on the aesthetics. There are parts I like and parts I do not. I do not like the implementation of the cornering lights, I do not like the colour scheme on the 3-colour version, and how dominant is the side aluminium look emblem.

Aesthetically, I still prefer the 2018 ATAS. Eventually however, the new one will grow on me, I guess. But the 2018 one was love at first sight..... not the case with this one....
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros Galiatsis View Post
I voted "not sure".

I am considering only the ATAS, since I had never been interested on the Standard Version anyway (due to the compact size) and definitely not interested to the clearly dirt oriented new one.

On the new ATAS, I do like the screen (and the connectivity), the extra power, the adjustable screen, the tubeless tires, the cruise control and the ES option (although I do not think I would spend money on it), the cornering ABS.

I do not like that they made it shorter (suspension travel) and the shape of the saddle.

I am not yet sure on the aesthetics. There are parts I like and parts I do not. I do not like the implementation of the cornering lights, I do not like the colour scheme on the 3-colour version, and how dominant is the side aluminium look emblem.

Aesthetically, I still prefer the 2018 ATAS. Eventually however, the new one will grow on me, I guess. But the 2018 one was love at first sight..... not the case with this one....
Yea I was not going to put an undecided option, reading around it looked like a lot of riders are already well opinionated on the new models. But in the end I guess the proof will be when the new models hit the ground, and those new riders start posting here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 10:58 AM

I think it's a good idea. But I would have liked to have seen the option to put tubeless rims on the "Enduro" model And maybe the option for the larger fuel tank. On my 2016 I used to occasionally carry a rotopax for extra fuel, so bigger tank would be a nice option. Since I ride 50/50, I don't need/want the ES.

But overall I think it's a great idea they have multiple models

2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 11:39 AM

One fairly minor change I have read about. Aluminium panels. So... Perhaps less plastic? That's definitely a positive.

30th anniversary DCT 'Sport.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvArt View Post
I think it's a good idea. But I would have liked to have seen the option to put tubeless rims on the "Enduro" model And maybe the option for the larger fuel tank. On my 2016 I used to occasionally carry a rotopax for extra fuel, so bigger tank would be a nice option. Since I ride 50/50, I don't need/want the ES.

But overall I think it's a great idea they have multiple models
I also think they should have made the tubeless wheels an option in the Enduro model but not the larger fuel tank, this defeats the purpose and is also difficult to offer as an option given the different plastics that go with it.

But I think they should have gone all the way and also offer the AS with 19/17 wheels. It seems to me that many AT buyers never venture seriously off road, and in this light the AS (which seems to target them) would be better off with 19/17 wheels.
Sandstorm likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motobiker View Post
One fairly minor change I have read about. Aluminium panels. So... Perhaps less plastic? That's definitely a positive.
No offense you or others.
But it still amazes me on how my people dis plastic. Personally I love the stuff and it’s use in off road oriented machines. I’ve ridden off road vehicles since I was around 8 and I’m 52 now. I can’t count the times I’ve seen plastic work it’s wonders after a “mishap” plastic is somewhat resilient it “bounces” back, aluminum, steel permanent bent unless some body shop wonders are preformed. OMG! yes plastic will at time brake, and yes usually sooner than it’s metal counterpart but then comes replacement time; plastic part 2$ - steel 8$ - aluminum 20$. Think of it this way; if you seen any kinda of bike with a metal fender what would you think would happen if you were to go up to to and hit the end of it down towards the tire and then do the same thing to, say, the front fender of your AT. After that what fender wold you rather have?
Sorry - rant over...

BTW I’m sure there are some “older” riders out there like me who can remember “motor cross” bikes with steel tanks, lol, and even fenders and the (semi-) permanent damage inflicted on those parts..

Last edited by AT-Dragon; 09-28-2019 at 07:27 AM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Dragon View Post
No offense you or others.
But it still amazes me on how my people dis plastic.
I don't necessarily dis plastic. I dis "brittle" plastic. and the stupid little tabs the cowls use to fix to the bike. they snap - very easily.

If these cowls are now aluminium, thats great. With crash bars they are at no greater risk of damage than the current plastic and protected in this way they should last forever.. with little or no risk of the connection points breaking. It may not be them.. it may be something else. only when i see the bike in the flesh will this particular question be answered.
AT-Dragon likes this.

30th anniversary DCT 'Sport.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I don't necessarily dis plastic. I dis "brittle" plastic. and the stupid little tabs the cowls use to fix to the bike. they snap - very easily.

If these cowls are now aluminium, thats great. With crash bars they are at no greater risk of damage than the current plastic and protected in this way they should last forever.. with little or no risk of the connection points breaking. It may not be them.. it may be something else. only when i see the bike in the flesh will this particular question be answered.
I whole heartily agree bad design and harder plastics that break easily are just piss poor choices by the manufacturers and just make people dislike plastic even more, which is a shame because with good design and the right kind of plastic the stuff works great.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 06:56 AM

Garage
Quote:

Rubber grease is your friend, put some on all the rubber grommets that the plastic tabs go into and the plastics come off and on very easy and you don't break the plastic pins. You can weld the pins back in place if you do break them, put a dab of superglue to fix them in the correct position then take a small 25w soldering iron and a small cable tie and weld it back in place(using the cable tie like a welding rod to feed more material into the pin as required) making sure you keep the same shape as the original.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page