Warranty experience for frame paint issues and rust - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 05:32 AM Thread Starter

Warranty experience for frame paint issues and rust

Hello everyone, Im on my third AT and this time a 2019 big adventure. Just found a big issue with the white frame.
Paint is chipping of in small chunks (3 different spots and counting).
Got in touch with HONDA Portugal and they say that they will fix by repainting these areas. I answered that it's not a solution for a lacquered paint job finish.
I know that there's a lot of complaints about these bike finishes. Super sloppy weldings and poor painting jobs.
My goal is to get some "jurisprudence" to defend myself as a costumer.
Anyone faced the same issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 05:49 AM

Garage
I think there are a few members that have had issues with the paint like you, tho I don’t recall any getting a full strip and repainting of the frame, like it needs... But maybe I’m wrong..

“If necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.” A.A.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

I've got my complain rejected and they mention that they're going to approve fix and not a full strip. Also mention that they will promote a "good will" agreement to extend the paint and repaint future issues. What the **** happened to HONDA!? Very disappointed with the one brand that I always defended as the samurai ownership culture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 10:19 AM

While I like the design of my ATAS, there have been to many basic issues with the AT and ATAS - forks, corrosion, poor paint, poor welds, debris in fuel tank and ... These are problems that should not be happening. Add in poor customer support and a 1 year warranty - most bikes in this group have 2 or 3 year warranties. Looks like a major cost cutting campaign to me. Would you trust Honda and spend over $17,000.00 on a new 2020 ATAS DCT? Probably will be my last Honda product, what a shame, not long ago, Honda had great, well built products with good customer support.

Jon
Djairouks likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

It was my plan to get the 2020. Depends on how they're going to manage this situation. I've pushed back the first solution. Opened a support case with them and require a better fix. New frame or complete frame strip and repaint. Let's see how this goes. Will keep this post updated.
By the way, anyone got these false-ignitions when match reeving?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 02:21 PM

Garage
Just curious, I follow 2 different AT forums, and several AT facebook groups. It seems like it's always European owners who have this issue.

Are the AT's bound for the USA manufactured in a different location as the EURO bikes? I'm yet to see a USA bike with the bad welds, frame paint, etc.

===edit

So this question of mine led me down the VIN decoder route.
https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Honda according to that site here is the info on my bike:

Manufacturer:Honda Japan
Honda
Model:
CRF1000A2/Africa Twin Adventure Sports
Region/Plant:
Kumamoto Japan
Check:
Year:
Sequential number:

It would be interesting to see if we could find a trend. TO see if it could be narrowed down to which Honda factory these problem Africa's have come out of.

Plant Codes from Wikipedia not sure how accurate as my plant code (11th position in VIN) is K and K is not listed

Assembly plant
VIN Code Description
A Marysville, Ohio, USA
B Lincoln, Alabama, USA
C Sayama, Saitama, Japan
E Greensburg, Indiana, USA
G El Salto, Jalisco, Mexico
H Alliston, Ontario, Canada
L East Liberty, Ohio, USA
M Celaya, Guanajuato, Mexico
P Ayutthaya, Thailand
S Suzuka, Mie, Japan
T Utsunomiya, Tochigi, Japan
U Swindon, Wiltshire, U.K.

18 AT AS

Last edited by Grizzly; 10-03-2019 at 02:41 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 06:37 PM

Griz: Thanks, that is interesting. If I am reading that correctly my ATAS was the 554th one off of the line out of Kumamoto. Makes me wonder if my #(%*^& tank fuel pump problem was in the middle front or back of the tank lot that got over-spray inside. Maybe that was a stateside legacy and the Europeans got none of it.

GL1800A, KLR 650, ATAS, 1972 CT2 Cessna Skylane
Fly low, fly high, but fly!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 10:34 PM

My frame welds were very poor on my 2018 ATAS.

Jon
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

GRIZ: I think thats Honda Kikuchi Plant. My bike is also a K. Today I got a feedback after the second evaluation of my problem. Still say that it can be fixed with painting to the local affected zones. Anyway I continue to discover a really low level paint job. Full of grain and bad usage of a paint gun. It amazes me why would HONDA put in circulation such a bad example of work and on one of the most iconic bikes. I got some weird explanations but this time I requested a full report with fotos of the damaged places. Next step escalate and if not ... social media!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 01:37 PM

Boas. Estou a ter o mesmo problema com a minha ATAS 2018. Já conseguiste resolver a tua situação? Obrigado.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page