Adventure’s and other travel’s - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
View Poll Results: When remote riding do you carry a ‘old school” map/atlas ?
No 5 21.74%
Yes 9 39.13%
I’m alway in city/towns/villages 1 4.35%
I just trust/rely on my GPS 4 17.39%
No because I’m not proficient navigating with one 0 0%
Yes, and I can somewhat navigate by one 2 8.70%
Yes and I’m proficient with map/compass navigation 9 39.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

4Likes
  • 1 Post By Dave B
  • 1 Post By AdvArt
  • 1 Post By knoxswift
  • 1 Post By AT-Dragon

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Adventure’s and other travel’s

OK admittedly I am a tech s l u t, I love technology and me, my bike, my truck, an my home are all seriously wired. But when I do travel I ALWAYS have a non-electronic backup especially when remote traveling on my bike. Luckily for me my home state has (and I carry) a state atlas, a kinda big but well detailed multi page atlas. But It has got everything covered from fire roads (two tracks) , and rail tracks, power line’s and a lot of the larger state trail system, even large drainage ditches..Yea i’m Old school military trained to read and navigate buy maps and compass, but this map is pretty much so detailed that if you have even just some small bit of intelligence and eyesight, getting lost would be.. well let’s put it this way, the law of Darwinism should take you if you get lost with it.

So a question: When traveling on remote adventures do you take a physical map with you ?

And OMG! PLEASE do not say “ I have my phone and it has all the maps I need” Because when I say remote travels, I mean remote travels, places when you gotta travel for an hour(or better) just to get some where WITH a cell signal.

“If necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.” A.A.

Last edited by AT-Dragon; 10-06-2019 at 10:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 10:20 AM

We don't have too many truly remote places in the UK but I just love paper maps. I find that using a satnav alone leaves me cold, yes it will get me from A to B but I want to know what is around me so whether on 50 mile or 350 ride I'll look at the map beforehand and at various points on route.
AT-Dragon likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 12:48 PM

While I do rely on my GPS I do carry a gazetteer of Colorado with me. There are plenty of remote locations we’ve been and even with a GPS unit we’ve been lost and relied on the paper map and GPS to figure out where we were.. I never leave home without it.

As a side note, by day ride pack includes tools and an MRE in case I’m stuck overnight...
AT-Dragon likes this.

2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
We don't have too many truly remote places in the UK but I just love paper maps. I find that using a satnav alone leaves me cold, yes it will get me from A to B but I want to know what is around me so whether on 50 mile or 350 ride I'll look at the map beforehand and at various points on route.
Yea I can see that, lol no matter what way you go eventually you will hit the coast line, not to mention the U.K. has been around for a couple of years now so it is fairly well dotted with villages and towns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvArt View Post
While I do rely on my GPS I do carry a gazetteer of Colorado with me. There are plenty of remote locations we’ve been and even with a GPS unit we’ve been lost and relied on the paper map and GPS to figure out where we were.. I never leave home without it.

As a side note, by day ride pack includes tools and an MRE in case I’m stuck overnight...
Yea I got a gazetteer of Michigan, absolutely love that thing. I’ve been a few places where I’ve lost my GPS signal because of tree cover, yes it does come back and update the map when you hit a clearing or lighter tree cover. But I still won’t risk being with out my trusty map and compass...

“If necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.” A.A.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 02:36 PM

I'm with the trusty group of Map/Compass people.
TOPO maps are a must for any off the beaten path adventure, Motorcycle, Truck or walking...
AT-Dragon likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Dragon View Post
And OMG! PLEASE do not say “ I have my phone and it has all the maps I need” Because when I say remote travels, I mean remote travels, places when you gotta travel for an hour(or better) just to get some where WITH a cell signal.
Nothing wrong with going old school, but just as a point of order, you can easily download maps for offline use, no cell signal required. I do it all the time traveling outside the US...

------
Trebor

2017 Africa Twin DCT
2016 BMW S1000XR
2004 HD Road King
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor99 View Post
Nothing wrong with going old school, but just as a point of order, you can easily download maps for offline use, no cell signal required. I do it all the time traveling outside the US...
True, and I happen to have a app like that on my phone... But, my paper maps have never ran out on a battery or “crashed” because of a software issue...
Djairouks likes this.

Last edited by AT-Dragon; 10-07-2019 at 11:06 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Dragon View Post
OK admittedly I am a tech s l u t, I love technology and me, my bike, my truck, an my home are all seriously wired. But when I do travel I ALWAYS have a non-electronic backup especially when remote traveling on my bike. Luckily for me my home state has (and I carry) a state atlas, a kinda big but well detailed multi page atlas. But It has got everything covered from fire roads (two tracks) , and rail tracks, power line’s and a lot of the larger state trail system, even large drainage ditches..Yea i’m Old school military trained to read and navigate buy maps and compass, but this map is pretty much so detailed that if you have even just some small bit of intelligence and eyesight, getting lost would be.. well let’s put it this way, the law of Darwinism should take you if you get lost with it.

So a question: When traveling on remote adventures do you take a physical map with you ?

I always travel with my TomTom and Iphone ... but I ALWAYS have a paper map visible in the tank bag. It is the only way to get a broader view of the route.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArqCC View Post
I always travel with my TomTom and Iphone ... but I ALWAYS have a paper map visible in the tank bag. It is the only way to get a broader view of the route.
True, that’s also another good point on why to carry one..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page