Seat issue - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dempseyr

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Seat issue

Hey guys/gals, Steve here. After wanting an Africa Twin for quite a while, I finally found a deal on a '16 with only 3k miles on it and took the plunge. So far, I love the bike. Being an old off-road rider/racer, it really suits me, though I will use it mostly for the street. The problem is my wife, who rides with me (pillion) hates it. As the saying goes, "Happy wife,happy life", which I'm sure many guys here can relate with! The biggest issue for her is that the slope on the passenger seat slides her forward right into me. I suppose this might not be an issue for most since many ride solo. She is also real short and, especially with the panniers on the bike, can barely reach the foot pegs which might add to her issues with trying to stay back on the seat. Does anyone make aftermarket seats for these bikes or has anyone had one modified? Maybe I should have done a little more research before the purchase but I have the bike and would like to find a cure for this issue to make my wife/life happy again. Thanks for any suggestions. Steve (Fossil)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 11:07 AM

Steve, I just got a Bagster seat.
See the thread thread below, it may help.

https://www.africatwinforum.com/foru...tml#post313955

2018 standard Tri-colour manual.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 11:21 AM

What about adjustable foot pegs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, and yes that looks like it would very possibly fix the issue. I will have to check it out. Regards, Steve
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, Pete. I have actually thought about that, or possibly modifying the stock pegs but haven't gotten to it yet. Does anyone that you know of make adjustable pegs for the AT? Regards, Steve
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 02:18 PM

The Honda Comfort pegs are a great replacement to those tiny passenger pegs. They are much larger - and the rubber tops make them taller. Several aftermarket seats are available. I haven't bought one yet - but keeping my passengers from sliding into me is a big issue with the ATAS seat. I thought about getting a rear seat from an AT - but I guess it still has too much slope...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 06:33 PM

Check out Russel Day Long Seats:

https://day-long.com/gallery/honda/

Custom made with Driver/Passenger in mind if you purchase Dual option.
Great for on-road. I have it on my Road bike.
For the AT I prefer a more rally type seat but it sounds like Russel Seats might be what you are looking for?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 06:26 AM

Garage
I’m running a Corbin seat and the ol’lady likes it, she had the same issue/feeling of sliding into the back of me on the OEM seat, I got a 18 AS so I opted for the low version of Corbin’s seat and it has a really big step up from the driver’s position (she likes that too) so she can see a bit better. Also the position’s are devided at bit more closer to a 60/40 split in area so she’s got a bit more wiggle room. Yea they are NOT cheap, but, they are (at least for me) VERY comfortable and you can do custom colors and a few different material choices for no extra cash, but a bit extra time to get it since they have to make it for you. They even have a feature to view your design on the bike (tho not always on the same color as your bike). They will ask your weight & height to help match the foam with you too.

BTW if you do get one, opt out of the diamond/quilt pattern, I found the rain water doesn’t quite run off as nice as a smooth seat, so getting on her after she sits on a good rain usually gives you a spotty wet butt...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3950.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	376.7 KB
ID:	50819   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3951.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	313.8 KB
ID:	50821  

If necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy. A.A.

Last edited by AT-Dragon; 10-18-2019 at 06:36 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 07:27 PM

I took the pillion pegs off of the ATAS. If I have a co-rider aboard, it will be on my Goldwing.

GL1800A, KLR 650, ATAS, 1972 CT2 Cessna Skylane
Fly low, fly high, but fly!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 07:47 PM

By her the new Honda 500 adventure bike
Mudslingr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page