Replace 2018 Lithium Battery with AGM? - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 4Likes

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

I've done a lot of 'internet research' on lithium ion batteries. The technology is developing fast. The batteries manufactured today are not the same as those of even a couple of years ago. Most newer lithium batteries have a BMU/BMS (battery management unit/system).
There is a circuit board inside the battery that manages the power supply, preventing over-boosting and actually shutting off the battery before the charge drops too much, thus rendering the battery useless. From what I can gather, the BMU protects the battery from damage when jump starting. I would still take precautionary measures like not jump from a car battery. I believe it is safe however to use a lithium booster pack. I'm just not sure yet whether I need a booster pack specifically designed for lithium batteries (like a charger), or if any booster pack would be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfunkomatic View Post

And I don't think they are $500 anywhere - more likely around $200-250.

https://batterychargersinfo.com/agm-...cycle-battery/
OEM = $587 on Revzilla https://www.revzilla.com/oem/honda/h...d200260a24060f
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 11:57 PM

Am I on a different version of the Internet?

Antigravity Battery - Revzilla ($199 USD)

Shorai Battery - Revzilla ($179) - I've had two of these brand in other bikes. Really good.

Both of which are cheaper than Yuasa lead-acid batteries and the ludicrously priced Honda battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasbyt View Post

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Ė Robert Louis Stevenson

Last edited by superfunkomatic; 10-20-2019 at 12:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfunkomatic View Post
Am I on a different version of the Internet?

Antigravity Battery - Revzilla ($199 USD)

Shorai Battery - Revzilla ($179) - I've had two of these brand in other bikes. Really good.

Both of which are cheaper than Yuasa lead-acid batteries and the ludicrously priced Honda battery.
I don't see why anyone would buy the OEM.. especially now. Unless of course the OEM in the bike is faulty and you can somehow persuade Honda to replace it under warranty, or get one heavily discounted as an act of 'goodwill'.. The OEM should easily last 8-10 years and already we have alternatives that are considerably cheaper and this state of affairs will only improve in the coming years. In fact, I wouldn't be in the least surprised if we rapidly reach a point where Lithiums (for larger capacity bikes) are cheaper than Lead acids and where aspects that are not standard now, like the ability to jump start, become completely normal.
superfunkomatic likes this.

30th anniversary DCT 'Sport.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 10:18 PM

I made my own jumper cables out of 18 gauge lamp cord so that the resistance would prevent excessive current from flowing into the battery. Plus I have a lightweight, compact set of cables with me, with appropriate sized clips that fit bikes on both ends.

The Shorai website says a fully charged lithium battery is 14.4V, while completely discharged is 12.86 V. A fully charged lead acid car battery is 14.1V. So worst case, 10A could flow into the battery, assuming the car is not running which should be perfectly safe. The current will continue to drop as the Lithium battery charges. You might have to wait for a bit to get some charge into your Lithium battery before you can start the bike, I haven't experimented with this because of course as soon as you prepare for a problem it never happens ;-)

Math:
10 foot cable = 20 feet 18 gauge copper wire = 0.128 Ohms of resistance. Voltage = 14.1 - 12.86 = 1.24V maximum. Current = V/R = 1.24 / 0.128 = 9.7A

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayfan View Post
I made my own jumper cables out of 18 gauge lamp cord so that the resistance would prevent excessive current from flowing into the battery. Plus I have a lightweight, compact set of cables with me, with appropriate sized clips that fit bikes on both ends.

The Shorai website says a fully charged lithium battery is 14.4V, while completely discharged is 12.86 V. A fully charged lead acid car battery is 14.1V. So worst case, 10A could flow into the battery, assuming the car is not running which should be perfectly safe. The current will continue to drop as the Lithium battery charges. You might have to wait for a bit to get some charge into your Lithium battery before you can start the bike, I haven't experimented with this because of course as soon as you prepare for a problem it never happens ;-)

Math:
10 foot cable = 20 feet 18 gauge copper wire = 0.128 Ohms of resistance. Voltage = 14.1 - 12.86 = 1.24V maximum. Current = V/R = 1.24 / 0.128 = 9.7A

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So quick question, doesn't the amount of electricity flow through a wire depend on the draw, or load? so if the dead (low) lithium battery will only pull "X" amount at a time according to available voltage, would it not draw the same through a "00" wire as an "18"? Your theory of the wire size limiting current flow would mean that jumping a car battery through #18 jumpers would not burn the wires in two, or that using a # 18 to dead short a car battery would not light up that wire? Of course if you put a small load on that wire, such as an instrument panel light bulb, the wire would survive indefinatley.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 09:21 AM

Please define the jumpstart procedure. Attempting to recharge the low battery some before trying to turn the starter motor, or attempting to turn the starter motor via cables connected to a low battery? 18 gauge wires will be fine to siphon charge into a low battery, but will nearly vaporize under the load of a starter motor. At the very least they'll melt the insulation.
The cheap commercial jumper cables they sell are sometimes as small as 6-gauge, and are actually only good to bring charge up on a car battery so it will turn the starter. You can't get enough current through them to run the starter if the car battery is completely flat.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 03:35 PM

on this batteries (cbr 1000 sp1/sp2 , AT/ATAS 18-19) you cannot jump start , as there is an onboard fuse , try at your own risk

my garage: Honda cbr1000rr 04 - cbr1000rr sp 14 - cbr1000rr sp2 17 - cb1000r 15 - cb1000r+18 - vfr1200f 11 - cre500SM - Goldwing GL1800 2018 -ATAS DCT ES 20 - NC750X DCT 19_- BMW S1000r 18 - Suzuki gsx-s1000 16- gsx-s 1000 19-- gsxr 1000 k2-k5 - Yamaha mt10 16 - mt10 SP 17 - mt09SP 2018 - tracer 900 2017 - aprilia tuono 1100 factory- Zero SR 16 - Kawasaki H2 SXSE 19 - KTM SD 1290 GT 19 ,Few (12) gsx-r sacs 88/92
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 05:32 AM
Sid

Hi I’m having drama with battery going flat after 8 days has anyone else experienced this a new battery from Honda 428 pound
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 10:51 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
Hi Iím having drama with battery going flat after 8 days has anyone else experienced this a new battery from Honda 428 pound
Read the rest of the thread, several links to cheaper Lith ION batteries have been posted.

18 AT AS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page