Replace 2018 Lithium Battery with AGM? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Replace 2018 Lithium Battery with AGM?

Hi,
I recently bought a new 2018 AT manual version with the Eliiy Power HY110 lithium ion battery as standard.
Lithium batteries are not supposed to be jump started, so I see no sense in having one on an adventure bike. I want to replace the standard lithium battery with an AGM.
Is there any good reason I should not do so, other than warranty nonsense, or any potential risks I should be aware of?
Also, has anyone done this and does anyone know of a suitable AGM replacement?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasbyt View Post
Hi,
I recently bought a new 2018 AT manual version with the Eliiy Power HY110 lithium ion battery as standard.
Lithium batteries are not supposed to be jump started, so I see no sense in having one on an adventure bike. I want to replace the standard lithium battery with an AGM.
Is there any good reason I should not do so, other than warranty nonsense, or any potential risks I should be aware of?
Also, has anyone done this and does anyone know of a suitable AGM replacement?

Thanks in advance.
I have one on my ATAS,never had to jump it ever, not had to charge it either ,even when laid up for several weeks, If you ever had to jump it I cant see why this would trash the battery using one of those small power packs would be fine Im sure, save your money and buy a small portable jump starter but I doubt you would have to use It...
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Harleywilma.
I understand they are quite reliable and won't lose charge when not in use, even for extended periods.
I'm trying to prevent the situation where say, uuuhhh, I leave the GPS or I don't turn the ignition off properly, (don't ask me how I know these things) and I'm in the middle of nowhere, in deep sand (can't bump start).
Even if I'm at home and the battery dies; it seems to be generally accepted that lithium batteries should not be jump started. I read somewhere that it could take days before a jump started lithium battery starts acting up, overheating, and potentially starting a fire. Something about copper plates fusing and shorting out. With the history of lithium batteries igniting, it's not a risk I want to take.
Plus, I would rather spend $100 - $200 on a good non-lithium battery than the $500+ on replacing the standard lithium one. That price is insane.
I am mostly looking for the peace of mind that I can safely jump start my battery without concern about losing the bike to fire, however small that risk may be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 02:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasbyt View Post
$500+ on replacing the standard lithium one. That price is insane.
Thats from Honda, there are some after-market offerings starting to pop up.

https://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id/5998

18 AT AS
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 07:51 PM

There are good reasons Honda switched to the lithium batteries - reliability, longevity, much lower weight, zero maintenance, can be mounted any direction, no leaks...

I've had them in two bikes one for five years - no issues for about 50,000 kilometres. Started even in negative temperatures, battery tender for long storage, bike actually started quicker and easier with lithium batteries.

And I don't think they are $500 anywhere - more likely around $200-250. A decent Yuasa AGM battery is about 120-150 and in my experience lasted about 3-5 years.

More positives than negatives for lithium.

https://batterychargersinfo.com/agm-...cycle-battery/

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Robert Louis Stevenson

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 05:00 AM

Garage
While true you can not just “dump” raw amperage into a Li-ion there are ways around it and even devices that you can hook up ‘in line” to keep your battery from fully discharging, killing the power to the whole bike when certain voltage and or amperage levels are reached, so a quick hook up to a low amperage “jump battery” will be safe quick recovery of the battery..

If necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy. A.A.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 02:01 PM

The lithium battery is an upgrade from the AGM. You can jump start a Lithium Ion battery - but it is more important than a regular battery that you do not jump it from a car. Motorcycle electrical systems are not built to handle the current, and you will damage many different components. Jumping from another motorcycle or other small battery is fine - but if you jump a lithium battery from a car battery it can catch fire or explode.

If you are in the middle of nowhere, in deep sand, have a dead battery, and the only vehicle is a truck - then turn the truck off, turn it's lights on, then connect to the bike and start the bike. You can go a step further and disconnect before trying to start it. It also helps to shout "There she blows!" because like pets and kids - motorcycles like to show us up.
Dibbs and Vasbyt like this.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

@superfunkomatic

I'm referring to the OEM part.

$484 plus tax. When I looked a week or two back it was $528.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 08:17 AM

I buy OEM parts whenever possible, but not batteries and not tires. Manufacturers buy those, why should I pay a middleman?
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowjack View Post
I buy OEM parts whenever possible, but not batteries and not tires. Manufacturers buy those, why should I pay a middleman?
There's no way I'm paying $500 for a battery either. There are after market products that are just fine in many cases, lithium batteries being one of them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page