How to wire in heated jacket. - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

How to wire in heated jacket.

Hi all, Great bike now need to make it ready for winter which is fast approaching, I need to wire in my heated jacket, but the battery compartment is very tight and enclosed, anyone managed to wire anything of the battery.
Mines a dct 2018, I'm sure it must be possible.

Thanks Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 11:50 PM

I recently wrote a blog post about wiring up accessories on my 2017 Africa Twin using the Eastern Beaver fuse block kits (ignition switched). But it's applicable to most wiring projects - at least to start.

Unfortunately, it won't let me post a link.

There is lots of information and tips available if you google or search the forum. Including some great videos on YouTube.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 11:51 PM

But maybe this time it will work...
https://www.pointsunknown.com/blog/2...a-twin-part-1/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 04:34 AM

Garage
Yes the space is tight but it's possible. You have to take out a little the battery to connect the new terminals. To do it, first al all, disconnect the ground wire from the battery (isolate it!), then you can slide out the battery and operate a little easier.
In the attached image you can see the result of my work adding a SAE fused socket for compressor, battery charger, etc. that I keep under the seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181208_150341.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	51019  

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 07:50 PM

Eastern Beaver sells fuse block kits custom made to fit the Africa Twin. I've used his PC8s' in my FZ-09, XCiting 500, DL1000, and more. Since the 8 fuse block fits, I would always go with it so you have more room for expansion. It has 6 switched and 2 non switched power taps - and it's pretty easy to need more than 3...

1) Better horn with a relay
2) aux lights
3) heated clothing hookup at the seat
4) aux power for GPS or phones
5) voltmeter
6) ...

1) alarm
2) battery tender
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 12:03 AM

I used one of the switched circuits on the Eastern Beaver PC8 wired to A First Gear standard COAX Panel fitting in this manner. Note the flip-top sticking up on the left side mounted through the Air-tunnel baffle. I have ridden in heavy rain and had no problems with it, and it seals quite well when nothing is plugged in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rox Risers 2 (2).jpg
Views:	39
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	51021  

GL1800A, KLR 650, ATAS, 1972 CT2 Cessna Skylane
Fly low, fly high, but fly!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 04:29 PM

Slightly different approach from me, As there is so little room around the battery box, I fitted a PDM60 to the bike and then ran the loom for my heated gear from this as well as the other items requiring power, very neat, programable for voltage output on each device, no fuses to mess with, it's a little more expensive but is a quality unit.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 05:06 PM

PDM60 or PC8s. Both accomplish the same thing, only 1 primary connection to the battery with remote fused/regulated distribution block. It is all good.

GL1800A, KLR 650, ATAS, 1972 CT2 Cessna Skylane
Fly low, fly high, but fly!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM

I ran the battery to under the seat and hooked up a basic fuse block. I ran an SAE from it to under the left footpeg for my compressor. Then ran my Widder heated cable up through the seat to a controller in my tank bag. Another wire coming off the block taps into the rear ignition plug to anrelay for the fore/aft video camera rig.

I'm pretty happy with the set up, but under the seat is an absolute mess of wires.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 06:50 AM

FuzeBlock for the win.

Fits neatly in the tool tray. Allows you to have switched and non-switched accessories all with the repositioning of the fuse in the box. I have my Oxford heated grips, pigtail for heated jacket liner & gloves, power to my GPS, and to a Datel voltmeter all connected switched. Also have an extra long battery tender cable that runs up near the handlebars connected UN-switched. I can plug my tank bag into that tender cable, can connect my 12V compressor for emergency tire inflation, or a battery tender (duh!) in winter.

FuzeBlock is kinda expensive, but worth it.

-Fred W
2017 Africa Twin ABS
2014 FJR1300ES

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in