Out in the cold... - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
View Poll Results: Do you ride in the cold?
Yes 40 65.57%
No 0 0%
Till it gets to the freezing point 20 32.79%
Till around 70*F / 21*C 0 0%
Till around 608F / 15*C 1 1.64%
Till around 50*F / 10*C 8 13.11%
I live in a warm environment year long 3 4.92%
I live in a cooler environment year long 1 1.64%
As long as the snow isnít too deep. 6 9.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

18Likes

post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 04:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFMoore View Post
Let's see: Heated Grips? Check. Heated Gloves? Check. Heated Insoles? Check. Heated Vest? Check. Coming back from Deadwood Mid-June going over Togwotee Pass in Wyoming at 28F in a sleetstorm with warnings to keep windows (what windows?!?!) up due to bears coming out of hibernation Check. Still warm? Check.

The only problems were keeping the face shield clear and the slush/traction on the road and we were able ti mitigate the latter by riding in the fresh tracks of a truck. It is all about the right equipment.
The visor thing can be a problem for sure. The wife and I got stuck in a spring storm where it became a real issue (it wasn't supposed to snow, I swear) where we had to periodically pull over to the shoulder and scrape ice and slush off the visors. Not so lucky with the tire tracks as we had to make our own path, but luckily it hadn't accumulated to the point where the Anakee Wilds lost grip before the snow began to taper off on the descent.

In hindsight I wish I had gotten a photo or two, but it was snowing like crazy and we were far more concerned about getting down than posing for photos with our bikes.

I will have to borrow a representative photo from a friend instead

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
No.9, VFMoore and AT-Dragon like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by circuitjc View Post
I'm right there with you. I also rode last week into work and I'm not too far from you just across the border in Sarnia. Currently on my CB500X I have good waterproof cold weather riding gloves, Barkbuster Storms and Honda heated grips. I'm fine wearing my riding pants and my jacket with all its inserts. I have a neck gator to keep the cold off my neck since I have a dual sport helmet that is open on the bottom.

There isn't much blocking the wind in front on a CB500X but it does a little good.

The weather is looking like snow the coming week so my bike will stay in the garage until the roads are clear again. Once they are I'll be back out using it for my commute.

I can't lose. I either have fun on my bike or I get to drive my full size 4x4 in snow.
Hi and a friendly wave to you from across the river, lol yea we got our snow and yea I got the same ďissuesí ride the bike or when the snow hits, drive my H2 thatís a blast in the snow...

ďIf necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.Ē A.A.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo007 View Post
I do and here's how I do it
https://youtu.be/LFbgweUDUlY
Nice little vid..
Speedo007 likes this.

ďIf necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.Ē A.A.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 10:26 AM

Garage
From the last time we got snow here before I had the AT.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171211_171918.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	265.2 KB
ID:	51095  

18 AT AS
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
From the last time we got snow here before I had the AT.
NE Bama - LOL ppl must really think your off your rocker down there for riding in the cold and far flung occasional snow, even up here in snowy Mich. they think that of me. Funny thing is they think I’m nuts for riding my bike in the cold, but even when it’s really cold and heavy snow I’ll say I’m taking the sleds (snowmobile) out and all I get is ‘hope you have fun”
ROFL strange; snowmobile is speeds of 100+ (at times) snowing, cold, out for hours and I get “have fun”
Motorcycle is 50mph and below (mostly 35mph) not snowing, usually around freezing and a 20 min commute and I get “are you nuts”

post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 08:31 AM

Garage
Ohh yes, I am very accustomed to the crazy looks, then walking though my office building in full leather with a helmet, i face all of the same comments again.....ROFL

18 AT AS
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 09:44 PM

People ask, So have you winterized your motorcycle? I reply, Why would I do that?
AT-Dragon and circuitjc like this.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBizServ View Post
People ask, So have you winterized your motorcycle? I reply, Why would I do that?
For the last month, at least one person in the elevator at work every day would ask...
"When do you put your motorcycle away for the winter? You must be cold."

...as I'm peeling the layers of clothing off. Some people just don't get it. I'm dressed for it numbskull...

I used to have snowmobiles... I'm use to riding 100+ mph in the cold and snow. Just like AT-Dragon said.

The only reason I'm not riding my bike this week is the road in front of my house and the parking lot at work is ice covered from poor plowing that happens everywhere anymore and I don't feel like riding my street bike like a dirt bike and having to pick it up a lot.
AT-Dragon likes this.

Previous: '17 CB500X / Current: '20 AT AS ES DCT
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 11:28 AM

The cold is acceptable up to a point, but the minute the salt goes down on the roads, the bike doesn't go out until spring is sprung and the salt is washed off the roads.
Numbercruncher likes this.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasbyt View Post
The cold is acceptable up to a point, but the minute the salt goes down on the roads, the bike doesn't go out until spring is sprung and the salt is washed off the roads.
Yea I hear ya, I ridden bikes on ice but they were YZís and 400+ pounds lighter and at times could be a handful when the tires werenít studded...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page