Out in the cold... - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
View Poll Results: Do you ride in the cold?
Yes 24 63.16%
No 0 0%
Till it gets to the freezing point 15 39.47%
Till around 70*F / 21*C 0 0%
Till around 608F / 15*C 1 2.63%
Till around 50*F / 10*C 5 13.16%
I live in a warm environment year long 2 5.26%
I live in a cooler environment year long 0 0%
As long as the snow isnít too deep. 6 15.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

10Likes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Out in the cold...

Iím anything but a fair weather rider. I live in a (somewhat) northern climate, so it has been getting a bit cooler here and the other day I rode into work at a warm 29f (-1c) found the brush guards a little small for blocking the cool wind but good gloves and a 20min commute is not bad and the Givi windscreen helps big time..
So Iím curious how many other AT owners ride in the cold weather..

ďIf necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.Ē A.A.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 01:13 PM

UK weather isn't always good , I'm not so much bothered by the temp so long as it's not wet too.
AT-Dragon likes this.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventyone View Post
UK weather isn't always good , I'm not so much bothered by the temp so long as it's not wet too.
Yea I hear you, even tho I do have really good rain gear, rain and temps below 50f/10c is a bit taxing. I pretty much avoid riding my bike if it’s raining for my commute in, but could care less if it’s even a bad storm on my way home.

ďIf necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.Ē A.A.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 01:56 PM

I do ride in cold weather using heated gloves and socks plus layers. As long as there is no ice risk I'm OK. Wet on top of that make me think twice. Not much fun being cold and wet.
AT-Dragon likes this.

2016 AT manual. 2005 TA. 1949 Scott 600.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 02:28 PM

I do and here's how I do it
https://youtu.be/LFbgweUDUlY
AT-Dragon likes this.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 02:30 PM

I live atop a hill. and my bike is only insured when parked up at my home. (unless I'm travelling)

So.. the bike is used all year round until the snow (if any) arrives.. at which point the bike is grounded. I 'could' get it down the hill, but its impossible to get back up again and for the above reason, i cant leave the bike at the bottom.

So, thats about the only restriction in winter. Im lucky that my workplace is just 1.3miles from where I live so i dont need to commute. I either walk or cycle.

Ive lived at this address for 19yrs now and only been snowed in 4 times.. and only once for more than a week. The winters are getting milder, the snow doesn't generally become a risk here in Nottingham, until January onwards.

30th anniversary DCT 'Sport.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Dragon View Post
Iím anything but a fair weather rider. I live in a (somewhat) northern climate, so it has been getting a bit cooler here and the other day I rode into work at a warm 29f (-1c) found the brush guards a little small for blocking the cool wind but good gloves and a 20min commute is not bad and the Givi windscreen helps big time..
So Iím curious how many other AT owners ride in the cold weather..
I'm right there with you. I also rode last week into work and I'm not too far from you just across the border in Sarnia. Currently on my CB500X I have good waterproof cold weather riding gloves, Barkbuster Storms and Honda heated grips. I'm fine wearing my riding pants and my jacket with all its inserts. I have a neck gator to keep the cold off my neck since I have a dual sport helmet that is open on the bottom.

There isn't much blocking the wind in front on a CB500X but it does a little good.

The weather is looking like snow the coming week so my bike will stay in the garage until the roads are clear again. Once they are I'll be back out using it for my commute.

I can't lose. I either have fun on my bike or I get to drive my full size 4x4 in snow.

'17 CB500X / '20 AT AS (DCT?) in my future
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 09:11 PM

Garage
I ride year round and have ridden down to single digits F temps. But I do prefer temps above freezing and no snow. But sh.. err snow happens

If you are a year round rider and happen to be on Facebook, check out the Rounders group

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Cuchulainn; 11-10-2019 at 09:18 PM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 03:27 PM

Garage
ha! when younger I still remember riding to work at 40F...In a shirt. Starting past Sept. I've lost some Insulation....Over 90lbs. So just winging it...yesterday 55 and sunny. Today 40 and rain.

Tues. 11 12 19 Record Low 8F. Not riding today
1:30 PM Local Pic.....melting on sidewalks, roads
AT-Dragon likes this.

Last edited by noivson; 11-12-2019 at 03:15 PM. Reason: New Details (Update)
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 02:18 PM

Let's see: Heated Grips? Check. Heated Gloves? Check. Heated Insoles? Check. Heated Vest? Check. Coming back from Deadwood Mid-June going over Togwotee Pass in Wyoming at 28F in a sleetstorm with warnings to keep windows (what windows?!?!) up due to bears coming out of hibernation Check. Still warm? Check.

The only problems were keeping the face shield clear and the slush/traction on the road and we were able ti mitigate the latter by riding in the fresh tracks of a truck. It is all about the right equipment.
AT-Dragon likes this.

GL1800A, KLR 650, ATAS, 1972 CT2 Cessna Skylane
Fly low, fly high, but fly!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page