2 up ATAS preps - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 3Likes

post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Luggage wise and top rack I was aiming on Givi Outback 42l, but this caught my eye. Kit includes all necessary for mounting. Yes is bit smaller that Outback 4 liter but is more compact too. Looks like a good deal, equipped with pillion backrest support should do the trick for backrest

https://sw-motech.com/en/products/lu...53232.htm#main
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 04:28 PM

Svabo: Perhaps what I have done to my 2018 ATAS any the reason for it will be of some value to you. My bike is set up with Tusk panniers on Givi racks, has Heed bunker bars and a few other minor things that add to the weight. it weighs in at 601 lbs full of fuel and with tools loaded in panniers (probably more tools than I need) I weight 225 lbs in riding gear. With the shock pre-load at the full 35 clicks the sag was 42% with a target of 30% or so. I shipped my forks and shock to Cogent Dynamics in North Carolina and they put heavier springs up front, a heavier over-spring on the shock, and machined a shim for that spring to accommodate a little more weight. I now sag at about 32% with the pre-load at 20 clicks, leaving me 15 clicks for baggage/gear. I do not worry about 2-up, and actually removed the co-rider pegs as they were one more potential to catch my calf with a foot down and break my leg. My Goldwing is sufficient for the occasions when my wife wants to go along.

I guess the translation is that a suspension that was designed for a 150-lb rider is going to to need some "beefing up" if it is going to accommodate some of us over-fed westerners, and that would be doubly so for 2-up riding. Good luck.

GL1800A, KLR 650, ATAS, 1972 CT2 Cessna Skylane
Fly low, fly high, but fly!
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltabi View Post
Generally speaking you have 3 options with the AT suspensions, in greater money order: (1) replace springs, (2) replace springs and revalve, (3) replace shock/forks.
The OEM shock and forks are not bad units: if you don't need/want fancy gears, I would just replace springs. ATAS is no different from standard AT, probably the longer travel suspensions will even accentuate the "problem".

HyperPro sells a kit with both springs together. I've been in contact with HyperPro tech support and they confirmed me that their rear progressive spring stiffness is, in average, around 90-95 N/mm and its calibrated for a 85 kg driver. Keep in mind that, being progressive, will feel harder when you load it more (2 up).
Will be useful to replace front springs, too, because they are really soft and will emphasize the annoying (for me) rear-front change of load when braking (pitch). Also a stiffer front spring will help keeping a correct motorcycle trim (SAG).

Did they say if they do a rear spring for slightly heavier riders?

Enjoy an Adventure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

@VFMoore I'm located in East Europe so Cogent Dynamics is unfortunately ruled out. Mainly from what I've managed to read so far I think it will be HyperPro spring upgrade front and rear as far as suspension goes and it will do a trick. Knowing myself any other option im affraid it will open the door of investments where there is no turning back and in the long run and bike purpose i doubt it is reasonable.
Basically, again from what I've have read (softness) I just want to get suspension ready for 2 up and light luggage as for now we wont be able to do any trips longer than 2 day cause of our 3 year old.
I doubt that I will take this bike in any serious offroading as I have MX bike for that puropse and as far payment goes I'm aiming for solid ride with 2up
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 05:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Maverick View Post
Did they say if they do a rear spring for slightly heavier riders?
HyperPro does a stiffer +20mm rear spring for heavy loads, for the standard AT. I'm not sure they do it for the ATAS, too.

post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 07:15 PM

Hyperpro does have +20mm springs for ATAS fork and shock, I looked at that option doing research for mine.

https://hyperpro.com/honda-crf1000l-adventure-sports/

Quote:
The new Honda CRF1000L Adventure Sports 2018 at HYPERPRO

SPRING KITS

SP-HO10-SSA036 FRONT SPRINGKIT
SP-HO10-SSB036 REAR SPRINGKIT
SP-HO10-SSC036 COMBI SPRINGKIT

LOWERING KIT

SP-HO10-SSA037 -25MM FRONT SPRINGKIT
SP-HO10-SSB037 -25MM REAR SPRINGKIT
SP-HO10-SSC037 -25MM COMBI SPRINGKIT

RAISING KIT !!!!!!!!!!

SP-HO10-SSA038 +20MM FRONT SPRINGKIT
SP-HO10-SSB038 +20MM REAR SPRINGKIT
SP-HO10-SSC038 +20MM COMBI SPRINGKIT

SHOCK

HO10-0AP 460 SHOCK (REBOUND ADJ.)
HO10-1AP 461 SHOCK ( DOUBLE COMPR. ADJ.)

Last edited by N0madADV; 11-14-2019 at 07:19 PM.
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 11:47 PM

K-Tech also has rear springs with several different spring rate options from 95 N/MM thru 120 N/MM.

2018 ATAS
2018 MT-10

Last edited by apmech; 11-15-2019 at 09:57 AM.
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

I've got a reply from HyperPro concerning intended bike purpose for 2 up and weight of 2 up with 160 kg without gear and luggage

"
For your use, this would be the recommended kit:
CRF 1000 L adventure sports (also DCT) 18-19 preferred kit, seat height +20mm SP-HO10-SSC038
Please note the following: the spring will be able to cope with the weight you have given, but the OEM damper is already quite soft and with the new stronger spring, the damping will most likely limit the bike.
It would therefore be a better solution to order a new shock, made to your weight, but we realize this costs quite some more money.
As said: the spring will be an improvement, but we want you to be aware what it does and what the limitations are "
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 09:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svabo View Post
I've got a reply from HyperPro concerning intended bike purpose for 2 up and weight of 2 up with 160 kg without gear and luggage

"
For your use, this would be the recommended kit:
CRF 1000 L adventure sports (also DCT) 18-19 preferred kit, seat height +20mm SP-HO10-SSC038
Please note the following: the spring will be able to cope with the weight you have given, but the OEM damper is already quite soft and with the new stronger spring, the damping will most likely limit the bike.
It would therefore be a better solution to order a new shock, made to your weight, but we realize this costs quite some more money.
As said: the spring will be an improvement, but we want you to be aware what it does and what the limitations are "
Another option would be revalve it. I would install the spring and see how it goes. Then eventually revise the hydraulic part.

post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Do you have any link on needed part's for upgrade or any shop in Europe which is doing this for rear shock. Cost of HyperPro rear shock is not so small

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page