2 up ATAS preps - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up 2 up ATAS preps

As title says, I'm expecting my ATAS 18' to be delivered early December, deposit has been landed and bike chosen. I know there are better bikes out there for this but you cant go against hart.
Bike has 7k km and is coming "only" with Honda side racks.
In the last few days I've been reading intensively and gathering information on generally AT and ATAS. Found a lot of interesting stuff as well as week points.

Point of this thread is to gather as much as info before spring for 2 up riding in one place and getting ATAS ready for miles ahead of us.
I've seen a lot of users have complained on stock suspension setting for AT and a lot of upgrades are offered there.

First planned upgrades will be QS since bike is intended for 2 up, mostly pavement riding it will makes shifting much more comfortable for pillion, wind deflector up and down, beefier rubber plated foot-pegs for pillion and central stand. Cruise control would be desirable but will leave that for later on.
I would like to go from tube's to tubeless as majority of riding will be on pavement, it will make life much easier in case of any flats and to get the better feeling from the road. Not only sure how tubeless conversion will work on front wheel due to its tube design.
Seen here that a lot of people went Outex kit, and only intended "off-road" will be light gravel, gravel roads and well maintained forest paths.

As far as suspension goes I haven't been able to figure out has the "soft" issue of AT been resolved on ATAS with longer suspension travel.
2 up without gear and luggage 150-160 kg or 340-360 lb give or take on top of that we need to add gear and luggage.
That is bringing us very close to max allowed load. Is stiffer rear spring needed on ATAS to get a proper sag and get suspension working in right direction and with upgraded rear spring are any modifications needed for front suspension to follow rear upgrade.
Two things which cough my eye are Hyper-pro rear spring 20mm which has been an widely used and a lot of positive feedback and Andreani cartridges for front end.
Hope cartridges can be avoided as i wouldn't like to go ballistic with modifications and expenses, once you open that box is no turning back.
I would like to have a bike that can handle decent in twisty roads although of her disadvantages with 21" wheel but wouldn't like to lose that comfort reputation that it has gained.

Top box I was looking original Givi Trekker 46L as it follows design of original ones, but in last i start opting for Givi Outback 42L due to shear size.
Difference in volume is not that huge but in terms of design they differ a lot. I found Outback to be more of a compact type compared to Trekker which is wider and could have effect for handling.
Again since main purpose of top box will be for pillion back support I would like to hear comments of owners with both of the racks and their feedback.

Hope another thread with common questions will not agitate anyone but I would like to have all in once place for getting ATAS ready for 2 up
Mainly these are my doubts so far, any suggestion or information is more than welcome .

Last edited by Svabo; 11-12-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 04:22 PM

Would not personally even think of a QS on this bike, let alone think it would be better for pillion, just smoother and more rear brake works for me.

Not sure what effect the deflectors would have either for 2 up.

Yes on the deleux pegs, pricy, and depend on their derrier, maybe an airhawk.

Enjoy an Adventure
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Maverick View Post
Would not personally even think of a QS on this bike, let alone think it would be better for pillion, just smoother and more rear brake works for me.

Not sure what effect the deflectors would have either for 2 up.

Yes on the deleux pegs, pricy, and depend on their derrier, maybe an airhawk.
I have from factory a QS on my SMCR and upshifts are just flawless. Although when I'm solo hooning aroud im shifting with clutch as I like engagement with bike but when it comes 2up it's more comfortable and upshifts you can barely feel differce between gear change. Hard to beat that by shifting manually. Downshifts on other hand are more smother old fashioned way with clutch and bit of throttle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 05:53 PM

I enjoy having the quickshifter on my ATAS and while don't use it all the time it does work well for intended purpose. I also have the Honda panniers which are suitable for my needs currently though may look at other options in the future. I added TPMS and planning to do a tubeless conversion when I swap the tires, just waiting on Dunlop Trailmax Mission.

I'm 113 kg, the ATAS suspension is under sprung and under valved for me. I looked at options from springs to revalve to various replacement options and my Ohlins HO648 shock with 105 N/mm spring just arrived so will be installing very soon.

For the fork, I'm awaiting Ohlins FKA111 cartridge with 7.5 N/mm springs which I'm hoping will be suitable since it's the max rate available in this fork spring from Ohlins, otherwise I'll have to find a higher rate spring elsewhere.

I didn't want to spend the money I am either but springs and revalving wouldn't have been cheap either.

There is some very good suspension related info on AdvRider with recommended spring rates and more technical info on valving and such too.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

Ohlins does make really magnificent suspension pieces but they do come at a cost.

In case of any upgrade I will be seeking some less expensive solution. For now my favourite just rear upgrade and hopefully that will do the trick
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 04:16 AM

Garage
Generally speaking you have 3 options with the AT suspensions, in greater money order: (1) replace springs, (2) replace springs and revalve, (3) replace shock/forks.
The OEM shock and forks are not bad units: if you don't need/want fancy gears, I would just replace springs. ATAS is no different from standard AT, probably the longer travel suspensions will even accentuate the "problem".

HyperPro sells a kit with both springs together. I've been in contact with HyperPro tech support and they confirmed me that their rear progressive spring stiffness is, in average, around 90-95 N/mm and its calibrated for a 85 kg driver. Keep in mind that, being progressive, will feel harder when you load it more (2 up).
Will be useful to replace front springs, too, because they are really soft and will emphasize the annoying (for me) rear-front change of load when braking (pitch). Also a stiffer front spring will help keeping a correct motorcycle trim (SAG).

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

@deltabi thanks bud. Will definitely looking into front spring option too and get in touch with Hyper-pro and see what they're saying. So far my mind is set for rear Hyper-pro spring and if budget allows Andreani cartridges as with this price currently they are in my opinion bargain.
Only thing which confuses me with Hyper-pro rear spring is that they offer 20+ mm spring and ATAS already has increased suspension travel and bigger ground clearance.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 05:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svabo View Post
@deltabi thanks bud. Will definitely looking into front spring option too and get in touch with Hyper-pro and see what they're saying. So far my mind is set for rear Hyper-pro spring and if budget allows Andreani cartridges as with this price currently they are in my opinion bargain.
Only thing which confuses me with Hyper-pro rear spring is that they offer 20+ mm spring and ATAS already has increased suspension travel and bigger ground clearance.
@Svabo , you're welcome.

They produce (and recommend) the +20mm spring to improve the bike's trim (ie. to have a less "seated" bike and therefore make it snappier in the turns). I suspect that, because in the initial part of its travel their spring is pretty soft, they compensate by making it longer. This way when you load the bike you don't loose any (or much) height and keep the bike high in the rear.

About Andreani's cartridge I've read some comments by friends who decided not to mount them because they are very "sport/road" oriented, ie. pretty stiff. This is an hydraulic characteristic of the Andreani's forks. It looks like they don't mate very well with the Africa Twin, especially with the OEM rear shock.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

Good to know, I've seen options on their site for intended use of cartridges like road, track, touring and I was thinking that road touring option would be a softer a spot on choice. Well something to think on now, and obviously im getting close to Hyper Pro spring upgrade front and rear which is the budget friendly too
deltabi likes this.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 04:16 AM

I wouldn't do anything to start with. Try it properly two up and do gradual changes IF you deem them necessary. My 17 AT is still standard and does most miles two up including a recent 1800 mile week long trip round Scotland.We try to pack sensibly (lighter) and keep weight low with only very light things in the top box. Soft suspension? I just ride accordingly and don't have any issues. The bikes now at 16k miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page