Big guys and front end dive. - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 6Likes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Big guys and front end dive.

I test-rode a '19 AT last week and loved pretty much everything EXCEPT the front end would dive during braking, certainly more than a GS I rode recently. It's true I weigh 250 and the suspension might not have been set up for me.

Any big guys want to comment?

Thanks,
pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petek View Post
I test-rode a '19 AT last week and loved pretty much everything EXCEPT the front end would dive during braking, certainly more than a GS I rode recently. It's true I weigh 250 and the suspension might not have been set up for me.

Thanks,
pete
Hi Pete, I'm not a big guy, about 165lb in BD suit. But always re-spring/revalve a bike for my weight/use.

That said, the AT has a lot of travel, and can't be compared to a GS with paralever front end, which barely move.
With a re-spring for your weight (front and back) it would be fine.

An old Polish saying: Nie muj cyrk, nie moje malpy! Not my circus, not my monkeys
Ramblings of a muppet: https://thetenerist.wordpress.com/
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 12:27 PM

This is what I ended up doing to my 2017 DCT. I'm just a bit heavier than you at 255. At first I redid the forks with springs from Cogent. This was a vast improvement up front, but it only made the deficient spring in the rear more noticeable. I had the preload on the shock cranked up to max, but I still couldn't get the sag proper for my weight. I was going to change out the rear spring also, but I was able to purchase a low mileage Touratech shock. The Touratech shock transformed the bike. I'm able to set the sag to the proper height, the ride is superior and the bike can finally carry a heavy load. While I have no experience with just a spring change on the shock, I've read that many people have been satisfied with it. So, you should be prepared to do at least change the springs front and rear. Call the folks at Cogent Dynamics, they will be able to help you further.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 05:50 PM

The bikes are not made for larger riders like us.

At a minimum, stiffer springs are needed. Best bet would be to take it to a good suspension shop and have it properly set-up.

First thing I do with any motorcycle I own is pay the price to have the suspension properly set-up.

My 2019 ATAS rides on an Ohlins Shock outback and stiffer springs up front.. World of difference

Quote:

Thanks,
pete

2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 07:54 PM

What spring rate are you running on the ATAS Ohlins shock?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg the Pole View Post
That said, the AT has a lot of travel, and can't be compared to a GS with paralever front end, which barely move.

I seem to be hearing that the paralever doesn't have near the travel of the AT, which might explain why the AT is supposedly better off-road.

But I am not going to buy a new $20k bike and then immediately change the shocks!

Arg.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 10:37 PM

I'm similar weight with an '18 ATAS and knew I'd be redoing the suspension before I bought mine.

Definitely needs springs at minimum and really a revalve because the stock valving isn't enough for the higher rate springs.

I installed an Ohlins shock with 105N/mm (10.7Kg/mm) spring and awaiting Ohlins fork cartridges with 7.5N/mm (.76Kg/mm) springs. I'd rather install myslef than have to take in or ship off and revalving the stock stuff can get pricey as well.

However, getting your suspension set up properly is the best money you can spend on your motorcycle.
AdvArt likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 09:39 AM

I ride 50/50 and had a 2017 GSA. My biggest complaint with the GSA is the bike felt "numb" to me. I could never really tell or feel what the front-end was doing let alone the whole bike. With my AT and now my ATAS, I can feel when it's ready to break loose, you can feel what is happening with the front end. I ride my ATAS faster in the dirt than I did my GSA.

Offroad I never really had any problems with travel on the GSA.

Quote:
I seem to be hearing that the paralever doesn't have near the travel of the AT, which might explain why the AT is supposedly better off-road.

But I am not going to buy a new $20k bike and then immediately change the shocks!

Arg.

2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 11:07 AM

Pete, I wouldn't give up yet. If you think the bike is for you talk to your dealer. I would make a low offer with the thought that the discount could be money applied to the suspension. If you've ever owned a bike with a properly sorted suspension you'll know that it is money well spent. I don't know where you live, but in New England where I live these bike sit on the showroom floor, sometimes for years. Discounts are readily available. Used is another option, again around here these bike depreciate a lot initially, then they hold their value pretty well. In my opinion the AT is worth the effort. I've owned a lot of bikes and this one is a keeper.
Yarg Eggers, AZMtnRider and petek like this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0madADV View Post
I'm similar weight with an '18 ATAS and knew I'd be redoing the suspension before I bought mine.

Definitely needs springs at minimum and really a revalve because the stock valving isn't enough for the higher rate springs.

What would springs cost, assuming a shop does the work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Orazio Jr. View Post
Pete, I wouldn't give up yet.

Well I don't want to.

1) Any info on the cost to have this done would be appreciated.
2) I'm going to rent one for a day. What modes should I put the suspension in, or how should I just the front fork?

Thanks,

pete

Last edited by petek; 11-17-2019 at 12:31 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page