Trakking reports low batt volts - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Trakking reports low batt volts

Hi all.

Not been on bike for a few weeks and just got an email thru from Datatool saying the battery is low.

Anyone else getting this?

Q. Does the Datatool Trakking tracker draw continuously from the battery. (assume its got its own battery which should stop charging itself before it flattens the bikes battery)

Q The discharge curve of a lithium is different to a lead acid, perhaps it is low for a lead acid but ok for a lithium?

Suppose I will have to get a trickle charger of some sort, there is much discussion in other threads.

They said at the shop that it was maintenance free and would not discharge over winter (they fitted the tracker)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 07:23 AM

Hi Rick,

It's definitely normal. You've had the bike parked up for a few weeks so naturally there will be some effect on the battery, especially with the cold.
To answer your questions:
The tracker DOES draw continuously. It has its own battery (a small backup that should last 3 weeks supposedly) but that is only used if the bike battery gets pulled or disconnected. By the time it would start using the backup, it will have already discharged the bike battery to a point where you couldn't start the bike.

Li-ion batteries are different yes. On their own, with nothing drawing any power, the Li-ion battery will hold a charge for months and months. However, they are more susceptible to the draw from trackers and like the cold even less than lead acid batteries.

Also, depending on where you park, the tracker may have more draw than usual. I park in a garage under my building and I know that since the tracker works harder to find a signal, it draws more energy.

Just get a trickle charger for use at home, it is the best option. Connect a SAE cable to the battery and then you can use it for other things too (heated gloves, jacket, voltage meter etc). Or connect an Eastern Beaver 3CS and then you can have a few accessories and still have a SAE for the trickle charger.
As for what the shop said- Yes, Li-ion it is "maintenance free" but it WILL discharge over winter because of the tracker. That's why all the guys with Li-ion batteries talk about buying new optimates. Also fyi, the Li-ion battery from Honda is about 450 while a lead acid is 76...

Kawasaki ER-6N (KIA)
Honda XL1000V Varadero (sold, sadly)
Africa Twin 2018 manual,red (my new baby)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 07:25 AM

Garage
I don't know specifically the Datatool, but AFAIK, unless they can be completely switched off, tracker will stay on forever: that's their job!
Usually their own battery is used only when the bike's battery is missing.
It could be that the warning is for a lead acid battery but, if you don't put a maintainer you're going to completely discharge the lithium one, too.
Remember that the lithium battery has about half the capacity of the lead one (i.e. 6Ah vs 12Ah). This means it will discharge quicker (but it can withstand deeper discharge).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 03:56 AM

Had this problem with the tracker from new (june) its the trackers battery that is low but it reports as bike battery low , I have 60 odd reports on my phone about this . Datatool support kept telling me to trickle charge(lithium battery chargers dont trickle) and go for a long ride , this on days I had ridden 240 miles already. In the end they replaced the tracker as its own battery wouldnt recharge. Just in case someone comes up with should have ridden the bike more I have done 0ver 6500 miles since june.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page