Commuting on the Africa Twin - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Commuting on the Africa Twin

Who commutes on their Africa Twin? Freeway/Motorway commute? Is it your primary way to get to work? What have you done to make it a better fit for that role?

I've done some mods to make my 2016 DCT a better commuter, though it hasn't been my primary commute bike.

I'm considering replacing my primary commuter, and while I could buy a new bike, one option is further mods to the AT to make it a better tool for the task. A new to me bike won't be cheap, but neither are the mods I'm thinking of...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 09:05 PM

Yes. I use mine as a commuter, and tourer, and gravel rider, and...
I think having a case of some kind to put your stuff in is a necessity. Other than that I don't think you need much.
40 kilometer return commute daily and it gets decent fuel economy. A cheap and fun way to get to work every day.
BlackRockFox and AT-Dragon like this.

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Robert Louis Stevenson

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 09:18 PM

I commute via highway to a dense downtown hospital into a parking garage. I do this year round, rain or shine from 24-106 degrees.

The mods I have added:

1" touratech handlebar riser
Bikemaster highway pegs
Widder heated troller
Madstad windshield/bracket
Pirelli scorpion street tires
Krooztune 1.25" lowering kit
Base model seat (I have an ATAS)

SW Motech pro saddle carriers
Givi e22 cases (for dressing up or down for weather)
SW Motech rear plate
Givi v46 (for my works shoes, work bag, and school bag)

The bike is hardy in shitty weather. The TCS and ABS do their jobs when riding through flash floods, icy conditions, and heavy winds.

It is light enough to flick around in traffic, but heavy enough to not get blown around to terribly in wind.

All in all it is an excellent commuting bike. On the weekends I have a 2.5 hour commute to my other job and it's fine. I eventually want a more comfortable saddle, but that's really it.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
BlackRockFox likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TequilaSqueela View Post

I actually bought a beaded saddle cover for mine ages ago. Couldn't use it on the AT, it was like sitting on ball-bearings. I had no such problem with it on my R1200R though, so I used it there until it wore out.

I've been using a sheepskin on my AT seat. Makes it more comfortable, though it's not enough any more.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Givi v46 (for my works shoes, work bag, and school bag)
I also use a V46, but not for work shoes. I leave those at work. If you can, it's handy to leave them there.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 09:46 PM

I work at multiple hospitals. I ran in to problems with that.

Is the sheepskin worth it? I don't know whether to do that or save my money for a saddlemen or Corbin.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I work at multiple hospitals. I ran in to problems with that.

Is the sheepskin worth it? I don't know whether to do that or save my money for a saddlemen or Corbin.
I might go Sargent. I loved the Sargent seat on my FZ1. If I cheap out it will be Seat Concepts.

The sheep skin was enough for me for a while, at least for 2 1/2 commute hours/day. And it certainly helped with being on the bike all day, but it never completely solved that. And last day trip was a bit of a pain in the ass by the end.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 09:56 PM

Sargent, not saddlemen. Been looking at too many Harley's lately.

Yes, I am between the Sargent, Corbin, and seat concepts options, but I wonder if a sheepskin would be enough. I hate the beads and don't want the seat much higher.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 04:46 PM

Garage
I commute almost 40 miles each way on my 2017 AT much of the year. Since I have a four wheeled conveyance, I drive when it's below 35 and when it's wet. I have not done much to enhance commuting. I still have the factory seat, but have added a trunk and PIAA lights to be more visible. I'm also running Shinko 804/805 tires which have provided a pretty long life thus far. Still returns 48-50 MPG as well.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 08:56 PM

I've always been happy with Corbin seats - but I'd need one custom made with less of a hump for this bike. I use beads when I might be riding in the rain or really dirty, and a home made sheep skin for multi hour dry weather rides... I'm leaning towards the Seargent. I might pull my seat cover off and try modding the foam first. My problem is sliding forward on my ATAS seat. I figure I can leave the shape alone - but put some 3/4 inch deep by 3/8 inch wide holes in the foam where I want to sink in a bit rather than sliding. If I hate it - then it cost nothing to try.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page