Dual sport tires - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 04:19 AM Thread Starter

Dual sport tires

Just got a great deal on a left over 2017 DCT. I want to replace the stock tires with some 50% dirt, 50% street tires. I had no luck finding any tires with an H speed rating like the stock tires. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 09:39 AM

Maximum speed rating is not usually a concern on dirt tires. Slow down.
gvmumbral likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 05:30 PM

Pirelli Rally Scorpion STR are speed rated beyond H I think, and are a knob (vs block or grooved) tread design.

Keep in mind that the speed rating of a TL type tire needs to be derated if you run a tube in it. TT tire speed ratings are already low and account for the tube.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 12:55 PM

I have Mitas E07+ rear and Shinko 804 front. Both have a rating of T, which is lower than the H you're looking for. But, I have no plans of traveling faster than 118 MPH, much less 130. I highly recommend them.
LouisPK likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 01:55 PM

I'm a big fan of the Shinko 804/805:
https://youtu.be/4yKKciFnMQI

Went through many sets on many bikes from Triumph Scrambler to Tiger 800, Africa Twin, I can't fault them and they are dirt cheap.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pollard View Post
But, I have no plans of traveling faster than 118 MPH, much less 130. I highly recommend them.
While the scorpion rally str tire I posted might be rated for 130MPH (will our bikes even go that fast?) or faster, getting into triple digits (MPH) on any front tire with knobs, at least leaned over, and you might want a steering damper.

I can only imagine it's the same or more so for the knobbier 804 and TKC80.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 07:16 PM

I had the Rally STR on my Scrambler 1200 XE and wasn't impressed. Even new they looked like they had 3-4000km on them. Didn't last, wasn't that impressive offroad and overall I didn't find them better in any way over the Shinkos. The TKC80 rear tire wears so fast and square, I've also eliminated those from my options, and you tend to feel the vibrations much more. They look good and do well offroad, but again overall, I still prefer the Shinkos.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 08:28 AM

I'm on my second set of motoz tractionator GPS. I think for the way these tires perform and how and where I ride, they'll continue to be my goto tires. I would feel comfortable calling them a true 50/50...T speed rating (118). I have yet to encounter a situation where I wished I had a different tire. Mine see mud, dirt, gravel, rocks, good and bad pavement.
Chimera07 likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 06:42 AM

Garage
You can't have everything. Where would you put it? - Steven Wright.

The more you've found, the less you've been around.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo007 View Post
I had the Rally STR on my Scrambler 1200 XE and wasn't impressed. Even new they looked like they had 3-4000km on them. Didn't last, wasn't that impressive offroad and overall I didn't find them better in any way over the Shinkos. The TKC80 rear tire wears so fast and square, I've also eliminated those from my options, and you tend to feel the vibrations much more. They look good and do well offroad, but again overall, I still prefer the Shinkos.
Michelin Anakee Adv is really good I mist say. Had the first set this year and was truly amazed both on and moderate off road.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page