Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Adventure Sport OEM protection

9K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  silverfox966 
#1 ·
Just a quick thought on crash protection. Most of us seem to discuss the base model’ s crash protection. Often the upper crash bar and the skid plate is considered inadequate. What about the AS? It seems to have better skid plate. Is that enough? Seems as opposed to SW Motech and Altrider it’s not one piece but rather riveted from three pieces but the cavered area looks significantly larger. As far as appearance it looks very good IMO....as opposed to some really “after thought” solutions...
Any thoughts?

#2 ·
Never had any problems with mine, tho admittedly I’ve yet to bounce it off any large rocks yet. It has taken a couple of naps tho and with my aftermarket lower engine guard’s have had no problems..

#3 ·
I tested my OEM "light bars" on the day I got my 2020 AT AS DCT home... not a scratch. That was in the garage from a stand still when the kick stand folded on me. That isn't happening to me again... :/

They seem ok. The SW-Motek bars I had on my CB500X were much more substantial. I will probably replace them with something better but until the aftermarket gets caught up the OEM ones will due just fine.

#8 · (Edited)
I can say the price paid for the AltRider system is well spent insurance. I have the DCT version and have done a few rallies so far. Some riding was pushing my abilities and the bike suffered more than I . I can say without a doubt, the system of crash bars took all the abuse I threw at it. The lower bars are crucial fro deflecting the initial hit and the support brace rolls the bike to a safe horizontal position. The AltRider skid plate has some rather nasty gouges in it as a result of bouncing over rocks but there has not been a breech in the integrity and from oil filter down to pan all is intact. If I were to have compromised the case on the DCT side, I know the repair would be in the thousand dollar range to replace and if the case was compromised on trail, well that would be more costly. Nothing but happy for over a year now. Hope this helps

https://dirtbiketest.com/product-tests/altrider-complete-crash-bar-system/

#15 ·
I can say the price paid for the AltRider system is well spent insurance. I have the DCT version and have done a few rallies so far. Some riding was pushing my abilities and the bike suffered more than I . I can say without a doubt, the system of crash bars took all the abuse I threw at it. The lower bars are crucial fro deflecting the initial hit and the support brace rolls the bike to a safe horizontal position. The AltRider skid plate has some rather nasty gouges in it as a result of bouncing over rocks but there has not been a breech in the integrity and from oil filter down to pan all is intact. If I were to have compromised the case on the DCT side, I know the repair would be in the thousand dollar range to replace and if the case was compromised on trail, well that would be more costly. Nothing but happy for over a year now. Hope this helps

https://dirtbiketest.com/product-tests/altrider-complete-crash-bar-system/

Thank you for this!

#9 ·
I don't understand why these bashplate designers ignore the front end. It would add a lot of value to these items if the front end extended upwards to protect the downpipes as well as the frames central strut from stones etc being kicked up by the front wheel. I just don't get it.

Anyway.. Being the contrarian I'm going in the opposite direction, I don't go off road so the original bashplate will at some point be removed and replaced with the Honda plastic replacement.

#10 ·
I don't understand why these bashplate designers ignore the front end. It would add a lot of value to these items if the front end extended upwards to protect the downpipes as well as the frames central strut from stones etc being kicked up by the front wheel. I just don't get it.

Anyway.. Being the contrarian I'm going in the opposite direction, I don't go off road so the original bashplate will at some point be removed and replaced with the Honda plastic replacement.
I had the Touratech RallyForm on my '16, haven't decided on what to add to the '19 yet. I think it does a better job than many at protecting those areas.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Same thickness but more coverage.
I was surprised the bolts below lined up, except the two uppers- The std AT does not have the extra tabs.
But if you have the Bar&Skidplate set, you're good to go.

Reactions: silverfox966
#12 ·
Has anybody heard about this French company Making skid plates?

#16 ·
I rarely come across someone who opted to go with the OEM ATAS Lightbar/Skidplate combo on a 2016 model AT.
Here's is what it looks like- fits good, as if it was made for it.
But I doubt I will keep it on the bike for long.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
I like the looks/design. Don't trust it'll protect much in case of an off... Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Tire

#17 ·
Actually it looks good. The question is how protective it is. I heard the Honda Uk adventure centre has only the upper bars and they like it as the rubber mounting gives a little flex and absorbs energy. i ordered an “only bike” skid plate will post some pics when i get it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.