Tubeless Solution - Page 11 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 55Likes

post #101 of 143 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 01:04 PM

Well, it is a good idea, for all of us to remember that this forum is here to facilitate supporting each other and exchanging ideas on how to make the AT better. Comments as use the bike as is supposed to, or taking the piss about questions that other members have is not constrictive. I am sure everyone has their own area of expertise..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dave CT likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 143 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 04:45 PM
pjm

What did you use to break the bead in the rear tyre? Have you tried tyre sealant? I just came back from a 527 mile trip and did a thorough inspection if the TA2's. Nothing on the front at all but two small marks on the rear where sharp objects have pierced the tread and then been expelled. I would love to know why some experience punctures and others don't. If we understood why we could then try and avoid them.
post #103 of 143 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 03:54 PM

You obviously haven't suffered a sudden deflation on the CRF1000 front wheel while riding it yet then?

Actually I have and posted about it on this site. And when the tyre (Dunlop OEM) was taken off we found nothing. No nail, nothing. just a hole in the tube. Which only goes to prove you can't legislate for everything on a motor bike. Fortunately I was only going about 55-60mph and it held up pretty well all things considered. I'm sorry you've had a bit of a disaster on your trips, always frustrating when that happens after all the excitement in the build up. I'm now on Conti TA2 as you know and are noticeably a better tyre in the wet especially. Are you saying you've fitted Outex and still have a tube on the front? Why? You can only fill one or the other so don't see the benefit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 143 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savas View Post
Well, it is a good idea, for all of us to remember that this forum is here to facilitate supporting each other and exchanging ideas on how to make the AT better. Comments as use the bike as is supposed to, or taking the piss about questions that other members have is not constrictive. I am sure everyone has their own area of expertise..

I presume that's aimed at me. I didn't mean any offence so apologies if I offended you.....but really? applying tube sealant on the outside of the tyre? If my best mate had said that he would have the piss taken out of him mercilessly for a long time. I'm pretty sure a straw poll on this site would back me up on that. Anyway, no harm meant and apologies again.
post #105 of 143 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas man View Post
You obviously haven't suffered a sudden deflation on the CRF1000 front wheel while riding it yet then?

Actually I have and posted about it on this site. And when the tyre (Dunlop OEM) was taken off we found nothing. No nail, nothing. just a hole in the tube. Which only goes to prove you can't legislate for everything on a motor bike. Fortunately I was only going about 55-60mph and it held up pretty well all things considered. I'm sorry you've had a bit of a disaster on your trips, always frustrating when that happens after all the excitement in the build up. I'm now on Conti TA2 as you know and are noticeably a better tyre in the wet especially. Are you saying you've fitted Outex and still have a tube on the front? Why? You can only fill one or the other so don't see the benefit.
Ok sorry i was assuming

Because i had a leak overnight after fitting the outex kit F+R (in the front spoke area) and was going on a trip the day after so i had to remove the tyre etc and refit the tube for the weekend and its still in there.

My rear 'blowout' last year was similar to your experience in that there was no evidence except a 8mm diameter hole in the tyre carcass and tube but i actually 'heard' that one and eased off immediately (but its easier to control with a rear puncture)
post #106 of 143 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas man View Post
I presume that's aimed at me. I didn't mean any offence so apologies if I offended you.....but really? applying tube sealant on the outside of the tyre? If my best mate had said that he would have the piss taken out of him mercilessly for a long time. I'm pretty sure a straw poll on this site would back me up on that. Anyway, no harm meant and apologies again.

It is just a general comment. I have noticed, that in this forum except a few members (Eltek, Mike, Djairouks..To name a few) that try to help there is a lot of thrash talking .....Ohh why you have a dct....Why u ride the bike on the road, it's an off road machine...Use it as is meant ....bla bla bla.....It non of anyone's business how and when I ride my bike..We are in this forum to help each other...Lets just do that an enjoy our AT. As far my question, it was more of an exaggeration admitting that I never had experience with those type of products. Hence I first said that I have two stupid questions. I have 3 degrees ....I am sure that if I had the product in my hands I would be able to work it out.

post #107 of 143 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 12:54 PM
pjm

That's not the Three Degress that were Prince Charles favourite singers is it? I love a helpful forum but on most forums you always end up with the real internet heroes. If you think this is bad have a look at UKGsers. Hilarious.
post #108 of 143 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 02:11 AM

Outex is working Good with my KTM690 for last 2 years ,Need to Fit Tubelesstires with outex
Dave CT likes this.
post #109 of 143 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 04:37 PM

Garage
Planning the 3m tape this winter. Can someone tell me how much is needed, front and rear? I'm guessing two wraps and cover with gorilla tape?

Also, what size metal valve stem?

Live to ride

Last edited by Niterunnr; 01-03-2018 at 11:21 PM.
post #110 of 143 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niterunnr View Post
Planning the 3m tape this winter. Can someone tell me how much is needed, front and rear? I'm guessing two wraps and cover with gorilla tape?

Also, what size metal valve stem?
Earlier in the week I found a You Tube video of a guy using 3M 4411N tape to do his sealing. It shows the process well:

On another site I found someone who used 50mm tape on the rear and 32mm on the front. Unfortunately I think it only comes on a roll, I don't think you can get shorter lengths!! I am very tempted to get a roll of each and split the costs with someone in South Africa.

Africa Twin 2016 - Current
BWM GS1200 Adventure (12) - sold; BWM GS1200 Adventure (07) - sold; BWM GS1200 - sold; BWM GS1150 Adventure - sold; BMW GS1150 - sold; BMW F 650 (why?) - sold; Honda VF1000R - sold; Honda VF750F - sold; Suzuki GS 1000G - sold; Suzuki GT 750 - sold; Suzuki RM250 - sold; Suzuki 550GT - sold; Honda CB360 - sold; Yamaha XT250 - sold; Honda CB175 - sold; Yamaha DT50 - sold

Last edited by JohnG; 01-04-2018 at 09:30 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page