Riding Fatigue; Handlebar Width - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By True Ad Venture
  • 1 Post By tiger

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Riding Fatigue; Handlebar Width

Hi

Just wonder if anyone has experienced with arm fatigue after just an hour on the bike? I wonder if it is due to the wide handlebar. I am not tall and arms average though.

Has anyone changed the stock handlebar? Advice appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Anyone tried the Pro Taper bars on AT?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 01:38 AM

I don't get fatigue, but I do have arthritis in my fingers, For the last 400 miles I've been riding with a set of Grip Puppies, these are are thin foam rubber that fits over the standard grips,
I think sometimes I tend to grip the bars to tightly, these seem to have solved the problem and my fingers are feeling a lot better too from the arthritis ,
Maybe worth a try, my heated grips still heat through them too,

Adventure before Dementia,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

thanks for sharing...my prob is that of arm and shoulder to certain extend. .. maybe it's just me..
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 02:15 PM

Maybe rotate the bars back and closer to you? Closer to your body, less reach, and less fatigue.

Are you an experienced rider? Sometimes new riders are more tense or have stronger grip on the bars which is tiring. Or strengthening your core so that you have your hands resting on the bars rather than actively hanging on - made a big difference for me.

Some find bar risers helpful to put the bars in a more comfy location, too.

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Ė Robert Louis Stevenson

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
Hi

Just wonder if anyone has experienced with arm fatigue after just an hour on the bike? I wonder if it is due to the wide handlebar. I am not tall and arms average though.

Has anyone changed the stock handlebar? Advice appreciated.

I'm just 5'7" with proportionally short arms and don't get any fatigue. I find I can sit pretty close to the bars on the AT so don't feel a need to add risers.

A Dakar racer gave some interesting advice about reducing fatigue, saying your arms should only be used to operate the controls, and says to use your core muscles to support your upper body. It's in this Adventure Rider Radio podcast about best tips for extended riding if you want to listen.

https://www.podcat.com/podcasts/CKPN...all-run-record
Wildcat92 likes this.

2016 Tricolor DCT
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Hi superfunkomatic...I am not exactly a new rider having owned the GS previously and ridden it for a while

but yes I think I always have the habit of squeezing the grip tighter than usual..

I have installed Rox riser and the effect seems minimal ...just put on a new bar with more sweep...hopefully that helps
superfunkomatic likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Ad Venture View Post
I'm just 5'7" with proportionally short arms and don't get any fatigue. I find I can sit pretty close to the bars on the AT so don't feel a need to add risers.

A Dakar racer gave some interesting advice about reducing fatigue, saying your arms should only be used to operate the controls, and says to use your core muscles to support your upper body. It's in this Adventure Rider Radio podcast about best tips for extended riding if you want to listen.

https://www.podcat.com/podcasts/CKPN...all-run-record
hi TAV..thanks for sharing...will check it out...but yes I think I am relying far too much on the arms and not my upper core muscles
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
hi TAV..thanks for sharing...will check it out...but yes I think I am relying far too much on the arms and not my upper core muscles
Hope it helps. :-)

2016 Tricolor DCT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page