This bike is amazing - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

This bike is amazing

How have Honda taken an 8 ft tall bike with a front wheel that's as skinny as a push bike and the diameter of a clown's unicycle and made it HANDLE. The roads around Alston on this machine have been just bliss today (and deserted which is surprising as it's May bank holiday)
Mike

(No idea why the pic isn't showing. Will sort it tonight - Answer after sorting the URL - Although the iphone flickr app says it's picking up the image URL to share, it obviously isn't)
superfunkomatic and Drum Dog like this.

Last edited by mike5100; 04-29-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 12:37 PM

Bliss in the dirt, mud, sticks and rocks too!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 06:07 PM

Been up there today Mike (Alston) and I'm with you , loving the way the bike handles and I thought my Versys 1000 wasn't to shabby,

John (silverfox)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
Been up there today Mike (Alston) and I'm with you , loving the way the bike handles and I thought my Versys 1000 wasn't to shabby,

John (silverfox)
Hi John - good to see you on here. Are there any other versys forum members on here. There are about 6 ex nc700.co.uk members. I guess the AT is a great progression when we get a bit bored of our middleweights (mind you the Versys 1000 was no middleweight).
I'm itching to get my centrestand fitted (on Thursday), because until then I can't set my suspension sag and until I have done that there's no point in tweaking the damping adjustments. I'm getting a bit of bounce at the front end on relatively smooth roads, and I'm guessing I need a touch more rebound damping at the front. I'm nervous about spoiling the excellent handling though.
Mike
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 06:49 PM
pjm

Mike I noticed you had damaged your trousers against the engine on the right. Had a look and could not work out what be it of the engine you are on about. Photo would be great if possible.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 04:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm View Post
Mike I noticed you had damaged your trousers against the engine on the right. Had a look and could not work out what be it of the engine you are on about. Photo would be great if possible.
You must be thinking of someone else PJ. I haven't noticed that I damaged my trousers on the Africa Twin
Mike
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 11:21 AM
pjm

Must be Trevor on the NC forum. Switched to a low MRS sports screen, sorted the satnav mount and tracker and just waiting on the PC-8 and heated grips (Koso Apollo) to arrive so I can add them and the Optimate feed and the dash cam. Absolutely loving the bike. Put the seat in the lower position which is slightly more cramped but at least I can easily flat foot it. Might go for the Sidi adventures to give me just that extra bit of height. Hate the gap between the tank and the seat in the lower postion but will probably come up with a filler of some description.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 11:53 AM

Hi Mike , thought it was you , no not seen anybody from the Versys 1000 or 650 sites on here that I recognize, I've had 3 and really liked them but I think its time for a change and I haven't been disappointed so far. I'm finding the suspension very good at the moment so I'm going to let it bed in a bit before I start messing about with it. The only things I can complain about is the wind buffeting which is on every bike I've owned so far and the indicator switch which I find to close to the horn but that's not the bikes fault its mine. Might see you about because I ride up above the A66 a lot and of course around the Yorkshire Dales!

John
mike5100 likes this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
Hi Mike , thought it was you , no not seen anybody from the Versys 1000 or 650 sites on here that I recognize, I've had 3 and really liked them but I think its time for a change and I haven't been disappointed so far. I'm finding the suspension very good at the moment so I'm going to let it bed in a bit before I start messing about with it. The only things I can complain about is the wind buffeting which is on every bike I've owned so far and the indicator switch which I find to close to the horn but that's not the bikes fault its mine. Might see you about because I ride up above the A66 a lot and of course around the Yorkshire Dales!

John
Spot on with everything above. I get my centre stand fitted tomorrow and only then will I start fiddling with suspension which is already pretty good.
I'm going to have a few attempts at sorting out the wind battering but acknowledge that I will probably have to give up and go to no screen at all - which I tired on the demo bike and it was lovely. The Swegotech fork things haven't worked at all for me. Going to get the Batzen things as I have two Honda screens I can try them with. Then Wal is going to lend me a clamp on Puig deflector.
When me and Wal are coming down into the Dales I will PM you
Mike
PS I have come from an NC750 DCT so you'd think the horn/indicator thing would be OK for me, but there must be something different about it on the AT as I have had to wave apologetically at a few angry drivers
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 01:29 PM

Mike , I've got the Batzen on order with the satnav holder so if you want to try it before you buy by all means let me know and i'm sure we can sort something out (meet up somewhere) I keep looking at the Swegotech but it looks so expensive for what it is ? the only way I found with the Versys 1000 was to get the Airflow which looked like a pigs ear but it worked fantastical well so to come back to buffeting was bit of a shock! still love it thou.

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page