Saturday Memorial Day Trip - One less rider among us - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Numbercruncher

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

Saturday Memorial Day Trip - One less rider among us

I left Spokane this morning on highway 2 headed for Wilbur. From there I would head north to the Columbia and cross via one of those 10 vehicle car ferrys. All was going great until I was about to leave Wilbur. An ambulance went speeding past as I was about to leave. Two riders on BMW's pulled up and commented that the ambulance was probably for that guy just ten miles up the road who was lying on the ground with several people attempting to render aid. I chatted with these two guys for a few minutes and they said they likely would have hit the guard rail as well had they been going in the same direction the downed rider did. They were heading south and when the road leaves the columbia river there are some pretty gnarly switchbacks that quickly gain 1,000 feet. Well after the final one the road simply goes straight South, literally, to highway 2.

I have ridden this road in the south bound direction but not the north way like I did today and that unlucky rider did. You are cruising along at the speed limit when you come over a rise and are suddenly presented with a near 90 degree corner. I don't remember seeing a yellow diamond sign suggesting a lower than the speed limit speed and had there not been cops and an ambulance there I don't know if I would have made the corner or not. I spoke with the officer about the rider who went down and he said he didn't make it. He mentioned it was a really bad corner and I assume he has been there before for bike accidents. A news report said the rider was a 75 year old male from Post Falls, Idaho.

While that tempered my spirits, I did get to be first in line at the Ferry and begin the drive up 21 to Republic, Washington. This has always been a favorite drive of mine but this is the first time I would ride a bike on it. About halfway from the river to Republic I made a right turn and headed to Cody Lake. Due to the late start, ferry delay and the fact that this was my first foray off the pavement on an AT, I decided to skip Cody Butte Lookout (old forest fire lookout tower) and head to the lake. The road was really pretty good and only one uphill section where the gravel had washed away and I had to dog paddle through silt did I start to break a sweat. Shortly thereafter I came over a bit of a rise and there was a huge brown-phase black bear on the road in front of me. When off roading, especially alone, I always creep along at 15 mph and the bear simply did not hear me. Finally he must have heard the bike or the wheels rolling over the gravel because he **** near jumped five feet in the air and quickly disappeared into the forest. I had a camera and pepper spray in my top case but decided to just press on. As I descended down toward 21 mile road and highway 21 to get to Republic I passed another bear but it could have been the same one.

I stopped in Republic for lousy Mexican food that vacated my body pretty quickly. Then again it may have been the jumbo ice cream cone I had at Kettle Falls. Soon I was to Colville and only about 60 miles from Spokane. The weather started to cool off just a bit but overall I had an awesome day on the AT.

My condolences to the fallen rider and his family. Ride safe everyone.

The corner just after the ambulance left. I talked to the deputy on the right side of the image.

Waiting to board the Ferry.

Crossing the Columbia River.

About to unload and head towards Republic.

At Cody Lake.

A second shot.

Lousy backlit shot of a beautiful bike.

Early evening in Colville, about 6:30.

NC

Last edited by Numbercruncher; 05-27-2018 at 02:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 12:17 PM

Garage
Sad news. Sorry to hear about the downed rider.

If there's no sign, we should really notify the county.

Based on your description, I checked Google maps to see if there was a sign before what might be the corner you described and there is one 1000 ft before it. But I might have the wrong corner.

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.8583...4!9m2!1b1!2i49
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WA-21 warning sign.png
Views:	68
Size:	548.8 KB
ID:	43290  

I seek to cure what's deep inside, frightened of this thing that I've become
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

That is the correct section of road and props to you for looking for that sign. I would SWEAR I didn't see one but I was so apprehensive knowing what had happened I may have missed it. Now I was riding about 45 mph prior to getting to that corner and with flashing lights and the like there was no safety issue for me. Sad that rider missed or ignored the sign. If the sign was there I would have paid attention to it like I normally do.

I wimped out on touring Europe literally right now and for the next six weeks and traffic signs were one reason. There are two in particular that can end your life if you miss them. One is a yellow diamond shape inside a black box. It means you have right of way. The more important one is the same sign with a diagonal line through it. This one means you no longer have right of way. Miss that one and you'll blow through an intersection and die. I am pretty careful as mentioned but riding a foreign bike in a foreign country trying to interpret foreign road signs and navigate in foreign languages was one too many variables for me. What sucks is this opportunity will likely never come again. I hate letting fear get in the way of my life . . .

NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bless The Rains View Post
Sad news. Sorry to hear about the downed rider.

If there's no sign, we should really notify the county.

Based on your description, I checked Google maps to see if there was a sign before what might be the corner you described and there is one 1000 ft before it. But I might have the wrong corner.

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.8583...4!9m2!1b1!2i49
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 04:27 PM
R.M

RIP....Not a bad way to bow out after 75 years.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 06:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbercruncher View Post
That is the correct section of road and props to you for looking for that sign. I would SWEAR I didn't see one but I was so apprehensive knowing what had happened I may have missed it.
The Google Maps view only indicates that there was a sign at one time. Maybe someone ran it over? Hopefully the police double-check to make sure the sign is still there after the accident. It's obviously a very dangerous corner--probably worth two signs.

I seek to cure what's deep inside, frightened of this thing that I've become
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 09:30 PM

Sad to read this but a good wake-up call and reminder. When I go into google maps street view it shows a 25mph corner warning sign aways back, then near the bend it shows a twisty road sign and then a 15mph warning sign. Regardless of signage certainly one of the most dangerous corners I've seen - blind rise hiding a sharp turn with nasty guardrail on the outside.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

You said it. When a cop says it is a bad corner you know it is. The blind rise is what really makes it treacherous.

NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyX View Post
Sad to read this but a good wake-up call and reminder. When I go into google maps street view it shows a 25mph corner warning sign aways back, then near the bend it shows a twisty road sign and then a 15mph warning sign. Regardless of signage certainly one of the most dangerous corners I've seen - blind rise hiding a sharp turn with nasty guardrail on the outside.
RallyX likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page