Ever Buy B4 you Ride? - Page 3 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 6Likes

post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danlmosher View Post
I have sat on the AT and ATAS and I really like the upright sitting position. I can flat foot the standard and get the balls of both feet down on the Adventure. I like flat footing but I also like the increased range and some of the other upgrades of the as.
I think I could change the seat to low setting and be good closer to the ground. Thinking out loud here....
Today is the day I decide. Iíve got an offer of $12998 with center stand on 2018 ATAS
As far as I can tell this looks like a good deal.
THOUGHTS?
That is a good deal I think;
I paid $13100 and no centerstand. Picking it up in the morning, spring has sprung, mid 60ís weather here!
Enjoy your bike.

2018 Africa Twin Adv Sports 30th Anniversary Edition 😁

Freedom is not free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 11:17 AM

I test rode and am glad I did. I was going to buy a BMW F800GS until I rode the AT and realized how much better if felt and how well it fit me.

On the other hand I have bought a couple of bikes without test rides, a BMW R1200RT and a Husky TE 610, but had a good idea of what I was getting into based upon bikes I had owned previously.
MPNM likes this.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 03:44 PM

Garage
Bought my 2017DCT without a test ride, first time ever on a DCT was when I rode off from the dealer! LOVE this bike! no regrets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 06:46 PM

Heck yes! The local dealer here doesn't even offer test rides! I researched the **** out of DCT before buying it, but was still unsure about what I was getting myself into. On day one, I put 70 or so miles on it. I really enjoyed it at first. The DCT was new and interesting and the riding position fit me perfectly. On day two, I put on another 70 + miles and the doubt about the wisdom of my choice started to set in. On the second day, I had more of an impression that the transmission was a little too much like riding a Honda ATV with an automatic transmission - it worked, but lacked character, and no matter which riding mode, it never seemed to shift the way I would. So, after a bit of research I found the most important accessory I've added to the bike - the foot shifter. After installing that, the bike was transformed. It gave it the character that was missing and made it into a wonderful bike to ride. I prefer to use the trigger for upshifts and the foot shifter for down - and without a clutch, everything is smooth and flawless. The only thing I dont like is that the foot shifter makes it impossible to install lower crash bars. The only thing you can do is add upper crash bars and an larger bash plate, but that's about it. I love this bike now - but not without the foot shifter. Good luck with the new AT. It's a **** of a bike! Cheers.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 01:14 PM

Buy it! Great deal.
I brought mine home yesterday from Albuquerque & am very happy to own the AT AS now am chasing down a center stand deal. Love the height, heated grips, and suspension. Putting more miles on it today. Good luck with the deal!

2018 Africa Twin Adv Sports 30th Anniversary Edition 😁

Freedom is not free.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danlmosher View Post
I am actually considering buying an 2018 ATAS DCT without having ridden one first?

Has anyone done this?
I bought my Adventure Sport DCT without a test ride, The reason for me was the dealer didn't have one available as a tester. Only a manual. which I sat upon. That was enough to tell that with just a few minor adjustments the Bike would be a perfect fit. As for the DCT.. well, I had already viewed a lot of videos about that and knew straightaway that it would take some time to get past the weirdness. The novelty. I didn't expect to "get it" quickly. In the event.. it took about 10 minutes.
it could have all gone horribly wrong. That was something i thought about and am aware its happened to other people as that same dealer had.. and continues to have used bikes with ridiculously low miles on sale. at least two, since i bought mine that had been traded before the first service.

but... i think the bike is great.

30th anniversary DCT 'Sport.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 08:55 PM

Yip me too. As a few of you pointed out, I too reasearched the heck out of it and decided to get a DCT. Called the dealer (October 2018) for pricing on an ‘18 or ‘19, it was high but they had none in stock and would be months before they would have any. So on a whim I searched Craigslist. There was a 2016 listed with only 2,800 miles and the owner had purchased it just a few months previously brand new from a dealer in Cleveland. So I went to look at it, it was like it was from the dealer floor. Gave him the money and rode it home. I previously owned a KLR 650, so it was a bit strange not having a clutch but before long I was loving the instant F1 like shifting. Absolutely love the bike and it’s handling. Planning a cross country trip to the SoCal mountains (home) and back again to NE Ohio.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 09:23 PM

I bought my 2008 VFR800, 2010 VFR1200 and my 2018 ATAS DCT without ever riding one....I love/loved them all and I'll never look back. The only bike I ever test rode, and didn't buy, was a Fat Boy...thank God I didn't
ProCycle likes this.

2008 VFR800A
2018 ATAS DCT
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 12:00 PM

I live in coastal Georgia and the only way you get to test ride any bikes around here is on a demo day. If you miss the demo day, Good Luck! That being said, I am very satisfied with my AT. just don't get the factory Honda AT panniers. Mine were free, but I can't recommend them for anything more than commuting.

Derek Perry
Ride 365
2017 AT
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 02:52 PM

The one comment I would make is to ensure your inside leg (inseam) is sufficient. I know most normal people are fine but my inseam is 30" , this is fine for a standard CFR1000 with standard seat in the lower position, the ATAS however is too tall for me. I have had my AT for a month now and just love it. Other than the leg length observation, I can't personally thing of anything about the bike that I don't like. If those two 500cc pistons firing beneath you doesn't put a smile on your face, nothing will.

Pull the trigger and enjoy, I say!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page