Ever Buy B4 you Ride? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 6Likes

post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Ever Buy B4 you Ride?

I am actually considering buying an 2018 ATAS DCT without having ridden one first?

Has anyone done this?
The problem is the dealer is 300 miles away and I haven’t ridden one yet.
The price seems really fair.

Question: I was super comfortable on my cheap old KLR. Is the actual riding position like riding my KLR but with more power?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 09:43 PM

I can let you know when I finally take delivery of my ATAS DCT. I had an 09 KLR until last month when I decided it was time to upgrade. I did quite a bit of looking, sold the KLR and after sitting on the AT decided to pull the trigger.

The dealership offered a test ride, but the way I figured it the only way I would really know if the bike was right for me would be to take it for a few days. I am somewhat ‘concerned’ but trust my gut. I sat on the KTM 1090 and Tiger 850 and didn’t feel either would be a good fit.

If the weather holds I may be able to take delivery and my first ride this weekend. Good luck and safe riding!

Bookem
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danlmosher View Post
I am actually considering buying an 2018 ATAS DCT without having ridden one first?
Yes, bought my 17 DCT online, payed and tested it as I rode off from the dealership.
What could possibly go wrong.

My previous dual purpose was my DR650 bought new January 2008 and it was the same, no test ride, still have it 11 years later.
The Africa twin is like a DR650 with a 100 kg bag of potatoes as a pillion but yes the AT is a bit more roomy and the extra weight on the road adds some plushness to the ride.
A KLR might be heavier than the DR at around 150 kg.

Last edited by Les P; 02-27-2019 at 01:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 04:36 AM

I always test ride a new bike.....but here in UK, distance from dealer only really an issue on the fringes!! Far fewer places selling motorcycles now but still under 300 miles! Enjoy! We are having a temporary warm sector in UK at the moment so piling up the miles around mid and north wales; no more just looking at bike in garage!
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 06:21 AM

I do remember one (rare) test ride in 1983 (I had a 81 Z1000J at the time)..... I knew the dudes at the local Honda shop and had stopped in after work, a dude there (Simon) said, you have to take this bike for a ride (1978 CBX/6).... why not so they fire it up (6 into 1 pipe) and take it for a ride, get back and he says, what do you think.... I said something along the lines of I like it and will pick it up tomorrow night................ I had that CBX for over 7 years.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 08:09 AM

No test ride here. Did enough research to make me comfortable coming from a KLR to the AT. No regret.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your inputs. Now that I think about it - I bought two bikes on reputation alone - my 04 Goldwing and the KLR and I loved them both. The Tenere I did ride but for some reason I never could get totally comfortable on it for long touring. Don’t get me wrong it is a great bike. I am looking to upgrade and reduce the stable to one bike for all purposes.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubakmo View Post
No test ride here. Did enough research to make me comfortable coming from a KLR to the AT. No regret.
I’m hoping the AT will hit that sweet spot between the KLR and my current Tenere. THANKS FOR Good report
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 08:55 AM

I'll go one better than buying without a test ride, I didn't even sit on mine before I signed the sale contract. I saw it in the showroom and it was love at first sight and unlike marriage, I've never had any regrets. Just don't tell the Minister for War and Finance
Lowriderbud likes this.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

I have sat on the AT and ATAS and I really like the upright sitting position. I can flat foot the standard and get the balls of both feet down on the Adventure. I like flat footing but I also like the increased range and some of the other upgrades of the as.
I think I could change the seat to low setting and be good closer to the ground. Thinking out loud here....
Today is the day I decide. I’ve got an offer of $12998 with center stand on 2018 ATAS
As far as I can tell this looks like a good deal.
THOUGHTS?
MPNM likes this.

Last edited by Danlmosher; 02-27-2019 at 12:41 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in