Review from Rust Sports - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Review from Rust Sports

A first review.

http://rustsports.s3.amazonaws.com/A...winSpecial.pdf

very positive IMHO

This new Africa Twin is sporting ... Seriously sporting.
Bottom line - yeah it's a missile.

The parallel twin motor is something of a gem.
Honda have fooled the bike, and us, into thinking we're riding a 90 degres vee-twin, like a Ducati motor or perhaps more intentionally recalling the power charateristics of the 52 degrees vee-twin motor in the old Africa Twin.

The important thing here is the engine has character.

The CRF designation is correct. In spirit yes, but also given the technological links to Honda's off-road competition range, it is part of the 1000L's DNA.

21-18. Those two numbers tell you Honda are serious. The y've proven to be the optimal sizes for off-road competition motorcycling.

The ergos feel spot on; totally natural, whether standing or seated.

The finishes are as you'd expect from Honda.

It is the bike we've been hoping for - probably more. The guys that created this bike knew exactly what they were doing.

**** Honda ... I know which I'd buy.

Un autre avis, celui du patron de Touratech USA. Les 6 raisons:
1. This bike can do it in the dirt
2. Traction control modes can be changed on-the-fly
3. Honda reliability is legendary
4. She's a looker
5. It's little in the middle
6. This motor screams! If you rode it blindfolded you might think it was a KTM.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 04:33 PM

"Very positive IMHO"? Something of an understatement erey. The guy is wetting himself with excitement over the AT and over his own riding skills on gravel and trail "well graded pistes". Oh well, moto journalists do tend to exaggeration....

Too bad he didn't put in much about it's behavior on paved roads and at highway speeds. I expect we will get more on that as time goes by, but I recently rode an ATK 605 with similar long travel suspension and 18' & 21" wheels on a paved road (piste?) and was uneasy with it's handling and stability at 65 mph. It's something you can get used to but I might not want to bother, since any off-road benefits to that configuration aren't high on my priorities.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 06:11 PM

are they journos? and why did they get exclusive first test?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Just read the article. They aren't invited to Sud Africa and use the Touratech bike.

Facebook

Someone that worked before for Touratech and now try to start a motorbike magazine. I think.

Like other articles, you must separate the good from the excitement.

JustPlainBill0, are you sure the AT is the right bike for you?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 09:31 AM

Advertisement Copy is the repetitious statement of benefits and features.

Hamburger fattened and in the wind
33K miles on my '12 DR650
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 12:20 PM

I approached that review with skepticism. Who are these guys and why did they get an exclusive review? Did they wh0re themselves out just to be first? However after reading it I thought it was one of the best reviews of any bike I've read (meaning the review, not the bike). I thought they gave their honest opinion of the bike in the short time they had it. I liked that they listed the credentials of the rider, cause I was wondering who they were. I want my reviewers to have extensive experience so they can make critical comparisons to the competition. I liked that they talked about how the DCT felt, that despite is being pretty good it wasn't for them. It will be exactly what some folks want but it's not for this guy.

At the end of the day when was the last time you read a bad review about a brand new bike?
Have you read a bad review about the F800GS? I haven't, but I know owners who complain about the butter soft wheels and crap suspension. Never seen a mag talk about those issues before. This review was much better than I expected but one benefit for us US folks getting it months after everyone else is that there will be real world reviews before we have to put our money down. I was all set for a CCM GP450 until I read owners ride reports.
JustPlainBill0 and x32792 like this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erey View Post
Just read the article. They aren't invited to Sud Africa and use the Touratech bike. <SNIP> JustPlainBill0, are you sure the AT is the right bike for you?
It is definitely NOT the bike for me erey. Except for the wire spoke wheels and long travel suspension, I find it to be a full grown NC700. That's a compliment, not a complaint since all the NC700 needs is 40 more horsepower to be perfect for me. But the AT is (over)priced to meet or beat the competition in a hot market segment (unlike the NC700). But I might buy one anyway because it's the nearest thing to the "bike for me" I've found (except for a supercharged NC700 concept bike). I'm watching reviews and rider reports for more data to make an informed decision. A little healthy skepticism is a good thing when you read or watch such reviews.

Further, and this might be why I continue making input here, I believe forums like this serve Honda as unpaid focus groups and that they pay attention to forum participant views and ideas. So, where better to lobby for the NC1000XD than here?
Nessuno likes this.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlainBill0 View Post

Further, and this might be why I continue making input here, I believe forums like this serve Honda as unpaid focus groups and that they pay attention to forum participant views and ideas. So, where better to lobby for the NC1000XD than here?
This is true. Chances are they're listening and I surely know General Motors does on forums relating to it's vehicles, they make it very obvious, they're actively posting on some communities

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 09:12 PM

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 12:39 PM

Was hoping to see them post a video of it in action but this is good too and they mention the traction control.
Here they are embedded for easy clicking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page