Hate the LED dash - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Hate the LED dash

Can't hardly see the speedo when the sun is shining

Good way to get a ticket pulling into a small town :-(

Sex is dirty only if it's done right ................ Live and Let Live ............ Rules are Boring and I Don't Like Them
.................................................. .......... MeCasaEsSuCasa .................................................. ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 01:51 PM

This is true. Under certain light conditions it is vibrant and clear. But generaly it is hard to read.

I have a dream that the 2019 model will have a TFT display which will be backwards compatible and at a sensible price. Some smart connectivity features would not be a bad idea either.....

...but, I do not really believe that Honda will do me such a big favor.....
geirvmax likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Just looked at the owners manual for the first time and now I really hate this dash. A bike like this needs simplicity, if this dash broke down outside the US I'd have to throw the bike away.

Sex is dirty only if it's done right ................ Live and Let Live ............ Rules are Boring and I Don't Like Them
.................................................. .......... MeCasaEsSuCasa .................................................. ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Is it true that the dash does not affect the ignition/performance at all? I've been told that we can remove the dash and the bike would run fine.

If that's so, it's a big relief since this thing would be impossible to have fixed in most places.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeCasa View Post
Is it true that the dash does not affect the ignition/performance at all? I've been told that we can remove the dash and the bike would run fine.

If that's so, it's a big relief since this thing would be impossible to have fixed in most places.
I know no bike that needs the dash (or dials) to run. The dash is only for showing things, not a Proccessing unit of any sort.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros Galiatsis View Post
I know no bike that needs the dash (or dials) to run. The dash is only for showing things, not a Proccessing unit of any sort.
My last (and only) new bike was in 1971. I buy older used bikes and the newest bike of the 4 that I currently own was built in 96 and it has simple gauges.

Things like this traction control and ABS are making me nervous since repairing them is above my pay grade. I guess the complexity of the dash added to my fear.

I'm still wary but calming down

MeCasa

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 03:48 AM

I did some search on LCD screens.

As it seems, the LCD screens use a polarising filter to be visible at all. Without the filter, the readings are simply invisible.

So, the orientation of the polarising filter defines if the display is a negative one (white readings on black background) or positive. Rotating the filter by 90deg, you change from possitive to negative and vice versa.

Obviously the positive display is by far much easier to read, contrary to the negative one. My understanding from reading in the net is that the only reason for going with negative display is that it looks cool!!!

Now, this filter is a film actually that it is glued on top of the LCD module. It can be removed and substituted by another filter with the proper orientation so that the diplay will be positive.

It sounds easier than it is though. Removing the OEM film is not that easy at all, it needs some surgical skills not to scratch the surface of the panel, and it requires quite some laborious cleaning of the display after to remove the glue residues. And finally, it needs some skill to apply the new filter without allowing air bubbles or dust particles.

I have found in the youtube some videos of people doing the mod on watches and other lcd displays. Polarising filters can be purchased even through ebay, and theoretically one can even choose different colors for their displays.

So the question is who will volunteer to treat his instrument cluster as a guinea pig ....
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 02:49 PM

Not a huge fan of the dash, but...... I don't dislike it enough, to try changing the orientation of the polarising filter :-)
Mr Biker likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim130 View Post
Not a huge fan of the dash, but...... I don't dislike it enough, to try changing the orientation of the polarising filter :-)
LoL ... considering the cost of the **** thing, I tottaly agree with you .....
geirvmax likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 10:42 AM

It's the worst display I've ever had on a bike. I can't believe it's actually legal because it's unreadable during the day (unless the sun is behind you) and unless you stare at it you cannot see the rpm either. With the bright colour displays available on the market today this is a disgrace by Honda to fit this on a 2018 model.
geirvmax likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page