Mass centralising/Where's the battery - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 5Likes

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 02:32 AM

this is the one i bought last week and its the same that was in my bike when i bought it in Jan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motobiker View Post
I don't understand. You have had this bike since January 2017 and didn't even know where the battery was.

here.. a gift. https://tinyurl.com/yyo6hd3p
I bought this bike new so I didn't expect to have access to the battery for 3-4 years and to be honest I thought it would be under the seat.
It is a bitch of a job just getting the positive lead off as there is not enought cable to pull the battery out.

Just ignore us old gits we will ramble on regardless
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 02:49 PM

Mass centralising/Where's the battery

These are the instructinos that came with my battery, step 4 i found to b the opposite of a conventional battery and i never would have know this about lithium ion batteries
And step 5 seems odd about being in sunlight

Last edited by olmoggy1; 08-19-2019 at 02:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 03:46 PM

It's been over 100 degrees everyday this month - and at least another week is expected. How hot of an environment are we supposed to avoid?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 05:00 PM

Mass centralising/Where's the battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Detjen View Post
It's been over 100 degrees everyday this month - and at least another week is expected. How hot of an environment are we supposed to avoid?

Same here man up by Abilene thats why we are headed to the mountians in Colorado on friday for a few weeks. Low 70ís daytime 40ís at night

Last edited by olmoggy1; 08-21-2019 at 10:46 AM.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by olmoggy1 View Post

These are the instructinos that came with my battery, step 4 i found to b the opposite of a conventional battery and i never would have know this about lithium ion batteries
And step 5 seems odd about being in sunlight

Mine came with a lead acid battery. Never used a l ion battery in a bike yet. I know they don't give you any warning when they die or go flat.
2 1/5 yrs is crap for battery life thats why it caught me out.

Just ignore us old gits we will ramble on regardless
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 04:14 PM

numbnuts57 - I liked and related to your rant!

I have needed to jump start my 2 1/2 year old DTC three times recently with the stock Yuasa YTZ14S battery - twice when I left the key (and lights) on for more than one hour and once when I had the flashers on for about two hours. So, twice maybe my fault and once for the flashers being on too long??? Obviously bump starting an automatic is NOT an option. Personally I think the OEM battery should have handled this way better, but maybe it is a problem of storing the bike with the battery in place through two Minnesota winters. Anyway I decided something needed to change. And - yes the battery is in a weird place, but wait till you want to replace the air cleaners or (heaven forbid) put on the OEM heated grips! (Rant over.)

I have done two things to fix this:

First - About a year ago I started carrying a small Li portable jump starter power pack ($50 one from Amazon) in my tank bag. I can get to the battery leads easy enough by removing the (basically useless, IMHO) Tool Box from in front of the "centralized mass" battery using just the Allen key under the seat. This works fine for the occasional blunder.

Second - A month ago I replaced the OEM battery with an Antigravity ATZ-10-RS Li battery ($180 USD from rockymountainatvmc.com). So far I am very happy with the Antigravity!

Couple of notes about Lithium Ion batteries and the Antigravity specifically (just my personal concerns):
- A Lithium battery weighs about 6 lbs less than the lead/acid. I know, that is only about 1% of the total, but hey, every bit helps, and mass remove has to be better than centralized mass
- Antigravity has a "Re-Start" button so jump starting, supposedly, is no longer needed. Cool feature, but a PITA on the Africa Twin since you basically need to remove the battery to access the restart button. I do like the Antigravity, but think I would be happy with any name brand Li battery.
- As noted above, Lithium batteries need some warm up time in the cold. Not normally a big deal for a motorcycle...
- The Antigravity is about $50 more than the Yuasa. I am happy to pay the extra just for the weight savings! And there are many other battery options.
- To deal with the long, cold MN winters - I got a battery maintainer compatible for Lithium - $28 on Amazon.

Sorry for the long post - just to sum up - I suggest getting a Lithium Ion replacement.
numbnuts57 likes this.

Must be an ID-Ten-T error!
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 03:58 AM

Finding the battery to jump start proved to be interesting, less so than on my previous ride (KTM990 Adventure) which is situated behind the aluminium “not sump” under the motor, along with some other electrickery.
The battery simply did not seem to have the capacity, cranking a bit slower that I thought the starter motor should from new.
The bike Is a 2018 registered 2016/7 model fitted with the Pb battery.
Honda happily swapped it out under warranty commenting that I am luck not to have the Li version which costs about the same as a kidney (R35,000 from Honda) was swapped out under warranty.

AdventureSean
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:19 AM

From my perspective, I see a lot of BS in the replies. My 2017 AT had a Yuasa battery, which **** the bed last week. I installed a Scorpion Lithium Iron...not ion...battery in it. Why? Because I have used lithium-iron batteries in all my bikes and they last quite a long time. I have a Shorai LiFe battery in my 1975 Triumph Trident, since 2013, and the battery will start the bike every time, even after sitting for a month in the garage. I put the same battery in a 1969 Bonneville I restored, there is one in my 2014 GS, and now one in my AT. The LiFe batteries hold more voltage longer than any regular battery. AND...they are super light weight.

As for the comment on battery location, I have to agree that putting the battery behind the useless tool box is a **** design. But then, as a mechanic, I have been cursing engineers for many years on everything from motorcycles to fighter aircraft.
numbnuts57 likes this.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 02:35 PM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page