CRF1000L Suspension Too Soft? - Page 5 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 19Likes

post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 10:33 PM

I honestly was concerned when buying this bike regarding the suspension being on the soft side. I’m 6’7”, and a nimble 250lbs. After reading so much about the front end being non adjustable and soft every time I braked I was thinking about it in comparison to other bikes. Then I took her off road and literally fell in love. She has handled some pretty rocky roads in the Ozarks at varying speeds as well as some stream crossings all while inspiring confidence. Admittedly I have only done daytrips without luggage or a passenger but I love everything about this little dirtbike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 07:22 AM

The main reason I signed up for the Adrica Twin yesterday was the suspension. Our roads here are terrible. I wanted a long travel suspension that would absorb the imperfections of the road. I even demoed a Vstrom 1000 2015 and was disappointed with the suspension, it didnt have the travel I was looking for. 9" of travel is a lot of suspension to play with. Suspensions will rarely be perfect for everyone out of the box, but having spent thousands on upgrades for my previous bikes, I can say these suspensions are really nice. If you want a sporty ride you will be disappointed, but if you're looking for comfort and something that can take you anywhere, this definitely fits the bill. If you feel the front dives too much, there's some cheap spring upgrades that will mitigate that, but using a bit of rear brake also helps keep the bike level.
post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 10:49 PM

I sold my AT to buy a Scrambler 1200 XE thinking it was finally the bike I had been waiting for all these years (without being able to demo it). Turns out the Africa Twin offers a ride that is so much more comfortable, that....I'm planning to sell the XE to buy a 2019 Africa Twin.

Last edited by Speedo007; 07-05-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 12:20 AM

Garage
Did the 10k inspection and service on the forks after I had the Kashima coated all looking good, Dave has changed the rebound settings as I was looking for a lot more action on that front, my buddy had his Hard Anodised 30k Km ago and his were toast they needed to get redone. So it looks like the Kashima coating and running the bottom fork pinch bolts at a low spec (12nm and not22nm) seems to be working as a fix for the tube wear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Forks on Dyno.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	49199  
post #45 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipD View Post
Did the 10k inspection and service on the forks after I had the Kashima coated all looking good, Dave has changed the rebound settings as I was looking for a lot more action on that front, my buddy had his Hard Anodised 30k Km ago and his were toast they needed to get redone. So it looks like the Kashima coating and running the bottom fork pinch bolts at a low spec (12nm and not22nm) seems to be working as a fix for the tube wear.

That allows the axle to rotate instead of tubes to flex?
post #46 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo007 View Post
That allows the axle to rotate instead of tubes to flex?
I believe he means the bottom triple clamp bolts. Less deformation to the outer tubes at the tight spot.
Speedo007 likes this.

Everything for your Dualsport or Adventure motorcycle. www.procycle.us

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page