Chain maintanence - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 4Likes

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 06:26 AM

Chain maintenance

Its easier to do adjustment on the centre stand then check tension is OK on side stand. You quickly get a feel for how the tension varies between centre stand and side stand. As regards chain lub and rusty side plates:
The main bits that are loaded and wear on a chain are lubricated and sealed for life with O rings. When you lub the chain you are:
1. Stopping the outer surfaces rusting
2. keeping the O rings lubricated so that they do not dry out and break up /wear
3. keeping the surfaces that come into contact lubricated, ie sprocket and chain.
There are many lubricants, wax types are popular but I prefer those that are more penetrating and less gungey. I use XCP. Lubing without cleaning is fine if you are away from home but long term lubing without cleaning is just building up a big mess on the chain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 05:34 PM

24,000 miles chain still looks new
Drum Dog likes this.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 05:59 PM
WTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arguz View Post
Have anyone else used this laser tool?

https://www.profi-products.de/en/pro...um-housing?c=6
Yes, but whether it is worth buying is debatable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablock View Post
So while I keep the chain well lubricated and see no issues with excessive slack at 3,700 miles, the outside plates of each link are quite rusty. Is this normal?
My KLR's chain exhibits a rustiness often on the chain outside side plates and it has never been an issue. I just lube it and wipe the chain down afterwards. I have yet to see any rust on my AT chain (at 3,200 miles) though. But it may not be an issue either because the AT comes with a hefty chain and a rusty appearance on the side plates won't hurt anything. By the way has the bike been ridden in the rain? Road splash is loaded with crap that can cause a rusty appearance. Lube it, wipe it down and see if it goes away.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 02:51 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertKLR View Post
My KLR's chain exhibits a rustiness often on the chain outside side plates and it has never been an issue. I just lube it and wipe the chain down afterwards. I have yet to see any rust on my AT chain (at 3,200 miles) though. But it may not be an issue either because the AT comes with a hefty chain and a rusty appearance on the side plates won't hurt anything. By the way has the bike been ridden in the rain? Road splash is loaded with crap that can cause a rusty appearance. Lube it, wipe it down and see if it goes away.
Yeah, I park outside — not always with a cover — and it's been raining lately. I'll lube this weekend and see if the chain cleaning brush and a light pass with a rust eraser helps at all. Thanks.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 06:58 AM

I agree that rust on the outside of the link plates is just a cosmetic issue but if the chain shows rust its a warning that the surfaces that come into contact may need some lub. However I have found that after washing the bike the water left on the chain leaves rust spots on the link plates even though the chain may have recently been lubed.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKev View Post
I agree that rust on the outside of the link plates is just a cosmetic issue but if the chain shows rust its a warning that the surfaces that come into contact may need some lub. However I have found that after washing the bike the water left on the chain leaves rust spots on the link plates even though the chain may have recently been lubed.
Yeah Kev - I have found the same. Honda say you have to rinse the bike in clean water after a ride (in winter), and inevitably that puts water on the well lubed chain. Despite me using a Sidekick airblaster to dry the chain throughly, the rust still appears.
Mike
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 06:53 PM
R.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5100 View Post
Yeah Kev - I have found the same. Honda say you have to rinse the bike in clean water after a ride (in winter), and inevitably that puts water on the well lubed chain. Despite me using a Sidekick airblaster to dry the chain throughly, the rust still appears.
Mike
Same happens to me!
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 04:35 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ablock View Post
So while I keep the chain well lubricated and see no issues with excessive slack at 3,700 miles, the outside plates of each link are quite rusty. Is this normal?
They can easily get that way after just a few days after being in the wet, even after a wash. It is only a light surface coating and nothing to get worried about. When lubing your chain you are only really lubrication the O-Ring as the lubrication grease is sealed in by them and it is those you are keeping in good order. If you wash your bike (or go out in the wet) just wipe the chain with a rag to clear off any excess water and lube your chain then. After lubing your chain you might wipe it down with a rag to spread a little lube all over the chain to prevent the rust.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
Do you do your own maintenance? Otherwise I would be surprised if the dealership isn't checking it. Mine checks and adjusts it anytime I have the bike in.
Its a bit mixed. I do my own oil changes, but anything beyond oil I have the dealer do. I am sure they are checking it when I go in. I just wanted to be dramatic! hahaha
Cuchulainn likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page