Starting problem - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Starting problem

Hope somebody can possibly shed some light on this. 2016 Africa twin with 8000 miles still under warranty. Up until 7000 miles bike would start by simply pressing start button. Just recently I have noticed that it will start but as soon as you let go of the starter the darn thing quits. The soulotion to that was to hit start button with right hand and as soon as it started I would rev her up to about 4000rpm with left hand and then she would stay running after you let go of the starter. It does not do it all the time but seems to be getting worse.
Tonight it took me 20 friggin minutes to get her started. First it would not fire at all. Then after about 7 attempts it did fire up but would quit when you let the throttle of. Finally it started by revving her up to about 6000 rpm while still engaging the starter, then when I let go of the starter she quit but before the rpm dropped completely off she fired at about 2000rpm and ran fine after that.
Anyone had any similar problems. Any input would be appreciated.
P.S. Running 83 octane 10% ethanol and its a manual (has clutch)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 05:31 PM

I would try better gas also try some fuel cleaner
I've seen bikes not start or give out, think it was bad fuel because we put in some injection cleaner and after a few minutes the bike was running fine
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 05:36 PM

check your battery as well. Maybe its low on voltage and Amps and not supplying the injectors with enough juice to squirt their juice into a cold engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 06:53 AM

I had the same issue, took it to the dealer who told me Honda are aware and although not officially a recall on the starter switch anyone reporting the problem will have the starter switch replaced FOC. They did mine and problem seems to be resolved
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 04:36 PM

I've had the starter switch replaced twice now, the second time was at about 12,000 miles. The symptoms are as per the OP. The new switch rectifies the problem for a time :-(
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Took it to the dealer last night so I will let you know what they say.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Called dealer today and they could not reproduce the issue (go figure). But anyhow they did call the Honda tech center and they did say that they were having a lot of issues with the switches, so they are replacing it.
Lets hope they fix the problem and more importantly man up and issue a recall.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 10:40 AM

Useful information thank you - I have a 2016 with the same problem, the warranty runs out next April but the bikes stuck in Portugal. Does anyone know if a Honda dealership will rectify it out there?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbond4 View Post
Hope somebody can possibly shed some light on this. 2016 Africa twin with 8000 miles still under warranty. Up until 7000 miles bike would start by simply pressing start button. Just recently I have noticed that it will start but as soon as you let go of the starter the darn thing quits. The soulotion to that was to hit start button with right hand and as soon as it started I would rev her up to about 4000rpm with left hand and then she would stay running after you let go of the starter. It does not do it all the time but seems to be getting worse.
Had the same issue with mine, particularly as the nights began to cool down.
I now turn on the ignition and once the start checks are complete I open the throttle fully and then close it. Hit the starter button and it fires up and keeps running. I can't think why this should be but it has worked without fail now for nearly 2 weeks.
I can understand that there may be a switch problem with some bikes but can't understand why a defective switch would allow the bike to crank and fire up but them stop after a second or so which is exactly what mine was doing.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 10:59 AM

has there been any updates on this? i have the same issue with mine now. It will stay running if I give it throttle while holding the starter button down. Otherwise it will die immediately upon letting off the button. I have 480 miles on this 2017.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page