Engine light, traction control light, abs light - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 5Likes

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 09:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Pinargote View Post
I have the same problem switch the tire and My engine light is still on, any imput
When you say you have the same problem?
Do you mean the front wheel was installed the wrong way round and you had all three lights on.
When it was switched back you had the check engine light still on ???
I would say that if you rode it with all thee lights on it would have thrown up a lot of error codes I would clear the fault codes (visit a dealer) or if you have a workshop manual they have a process in there to do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 06:10 PM

Similar issue recently- I was doing my initial oil and filter change @ 600 miles-
I placed my bike on the center stand, & started it up to warm up the oil in the motor before changing it. Decided to put it in gear momentarily to help circulate and warm up all the oil, & ran the bike for a couple minutes until the motor temp gauge was at the 3rd indicator and where the gauge registers as normal operating temp when I am out riding.
Decided to go for a quick spin up the road and back, & as I was heading out our long driveway/gate I noticed that the “check engine light” was on now.
Turned around & rode it back up to my garage, shut it off, & started researching: I called the dealership (110 + miles away)
they said don’t ride it, & bring it in... Crap!
Thankfully I also have an EXCELLENT local bike mechanic in Santa Fe (German) that once I told him thru a few email exchanges exactly what I did that resulted in the error light coming on, he explained that it was a “safety error” and that the computer probably detected that one wheel was spinning, & one wheel was not spinning, & the bike was operating in 2nd gear, (on center-stand).
He said that probably the bike would reset it’s own computer after a few “run cycles” and to go ride it. 😁
I did and after a few miles riding it with complete stops and turning off the ignition key, waiting a minute then restarting it and driving a few more miles and repeating-
The check engine light or “efi” error light went off, & the bike returned to normal operation! 🕺🏽😁🕺🏽
I had a feeling what it was but after the dealership said to not ride it & bring it in- my local mechanic saved me the hassle of trailering the motorcycle to Albuquerque, dropping it off, and waiting...
I ended up going into Santa Fe (the next business day) to my EXCELLENT German mechanics shop where he also has the diagnostic machine to read the error codes, & can reset codes. He had offered to hook it up no charge previously in our email exchange conversations 🙂.
I gave the shop a nice $ tip and have had no trouble at all since.
Lesson learned.

2018 Africa Twin Adv Sports 30th Anniversary Edition 😁

Freedom is not free.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:17 AM

Garage
Were there any error codes? Did you take note on which ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPNM View Post
Similar issue recently- I was doing my initial oil and filter change @ 600 miles-
I placed my bike on the center stand, & started it up to warm up the oil in the motor before changing it. Decided to put it in gear momentarily to help circulate and warm up all the oil, & ran the bike for a couple minutes until the motor temp gauge was at the 3rd indicator and where the gauge registers as normal operating temp when I am out riding.
Decided to go for a quick spin up the road and back, & as I was heading out our long driveway/gate I noticed that the “check engine light” was on now.
Turned around & rode it back up to my garage, shut it off, & started researching: I called the dealership (110 + miles away)
they said don’t ride it, & bring it in... Crap!
Thankfully I also have an EXCELLENT local bike mechanic in Santa Fe (German) that once I told him thru a few email exchanges exactly what I did that resulted in the error light coming on, he explained that it was a “safety error” and that the computer probably detected that one wheel was spinning, & one wheel was not spinning, & the bike was operating in 2nd gear, (on center-stand).
He said that probably the bike would reset it’s own computer after a few “run cycles” and to go ride it. 😁
I did and after a few miles riding it with complete stops and turning off the ignition key, waiting a minute then restarting it and driving a few more miles and repeating-
The check engine light or “efi” error light went off, & the bike returned to normal operation! 🕺🏽😁🕺🏽
I had a feeling what it was but after the dealership said to not ride it & bring it in- my local mechanic saved me the hassle of trailering the motorcycle to Albuquerque, dropping it off, and waiting...
I ended up going into Santa Fe (the next business day) to my EXCELLENT German mechanics shop where he also has the diagnostic machine to read the error codes, & can reset codes. He had offered to hook it up no charge previously in our email exchange conversations 🙂.
I gave the shop a nice $ tip and have had no trouble at all since.
Lesson learned.

Quote:
2016 CRF1000LD, '15 NC700XD, '14 CTX700ND
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:02 PM

The error light that “popped on” is shaped like a “ motor “ or “engine” & similar to “check engine light” on other vehicles.
The bike ran as normal & great- after the 3 run cycles, it went off.
No issues since.

Freedom is not free.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:55 AM

MPNM, so glad you posted this info, thanks to you and your mechanic.
I'd just cleaned my chain and had the bike on a paddock stand giving the back wheel a spin in first
gear giving it a blast of compressed air to get rid of all the moisture then giving it a lube up.
The engine check light came on my first thoughts were that I'd managed to get some water where it shouldn't be, thankfully a few laps round the block with the restarts the light was out!!!
thanks again.
MPNM likes this.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 09:06 AM

Diagnostic test results

Trying here to attach the printout from the shop on the error received. -Click image for larger version

Name:	372AF7E2-B93B-4C16-BA43-93D9C30BCE67.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	431.8 KB
ID:	48363
Glad it helped!😁

Freedom is not free.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page