Problems, problems, problems.. - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 13Likes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Angry Problems, problems, problems..

I bought this bike and have so far put 930 miles on it, did the first oil change at 650 miles and have never brought it above 6000 RPM.

The first sign that this bike might be having problems came shortly after I bought it, and rode in to work. I was at a stop, in neutral and pulled the clutch in. Bike died. I was low on fuel, so I thought that might have something to do with it, and since it was such a new bike I thought it might be part of the break-in period. It has died at least four times since then. Most of them when I'm either low on fuel or right after I've started the bike. The idle is so rough it makes me want to turn it off. Things start to settle down once the bike gets up to temperature, though. Sometimes it dies within seconds after starting. Then there's the horrible knocking noise from the engine. I've tried disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery, I've tried 87 89 91 and 93 octane gas (USA). I guess now I'm going to have to start digging into the engine.

Honestly I'm just disgusted. This is a HONDA machine. Never in my life did I expect a Honda to be having these sort of problems before it hit 600 miles. I depend on this bike to commute. That's WHY I bought a Honda. Could the mechanics have really ****** up that bad when prepping/assembling the bike? Is this a known defect from the factory? Just trying to run through scenarios that might cause this to happen. Anyone else experiencing issues like this? Honestly I'm ready to just send it back to the dealer, but I'm not sure I even trust them more than I trust myself to fix the problem. The thing is, I don't have all day to wrench on my bike. Guess it's back to riding the train for a while for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 01:16 PM

Garage
I've had it die a few seconds after starting on a few occasions, but never when warm/riding aside from my own stall-outs. I just had the first service this week so will pay attention to see if it continues to die while warming up.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 01:41 PM

You say low on fuel.....what fuel are u using? There are several comments on this bike not liking cheap supermarket fuel. I briefly used cheap fuel and bike did not like it at all. Only main brands since and no problems at all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas man View Post
You say low on fuel.....what fuel are u using? There are several comments on this bike not liking cheap supermarket fuel. I briefly used cheap fuel and bike did not like it at all. Only main brands since and no problems at all
I don't think fuel is the problem. Maybe injectors, but I would imagine my PGM-FI light would come on if that was the case. I've been using Shell mostly, and Chevron.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigint View Post
I guess now I'm going to have to start digging into the engine. (
Not a good idea - take it back to the dealer and have them connect it up to diagnostic equipment. These bikes are usually very reliable.....yours clearly has an issue, probably linked to fuel mixture or idling speed, which needs to be sorted quickly. Frustrating, clearly, but hopefully easy to put right.
Invin likes this.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerjohn View Post
Not a good idea - take it back to the dealer and have them connect it up to diagnostic equipment. These bikes are usually very reliable.....yours clearly has an issue, probably linked to fuel mixture or idling speed, which needs to be sorted quickly. Frustrating, clearly, but hopefully easy to put right.
I agree with that. Unfortunately, there is always a bad apple in the sack, but dealer should fix it. I don't think gas is an issue, it sounds like fueling and/or fuel delivery.

2016 Honda Africa Twin
2009 BMW R1200RT (sold)
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 06:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
This should not be true. A big part of the press launch was that as a true Dakar bike, it has been designed to accept any go juice you throw in it. Here in EU at least, the minimum fuel octane part of the sticker on the fuel tank of other bikes is absent on the AT

Live to ride
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niterunnr View Post
Quote:
This should not be true. A big part of the press launch was that as a true Dakar bike, it has been designed to accept any go juice you throw in it. Here in EU at least, the minimum fuel octane part of the sticker on the fuel tank of other bikes is absent on the AT
I agree it shouldn't but it does seem to be the case...my understanding is that there is more likely to be water in cheap fuel which gets in fuel line?
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 07:39 PM

When cold my dct will stumble and almost stall but never does actually stall, it will do this once upon initial start up and then never do it again for the rest of the day,other then that the bike runs flawlessly
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Well, I've just dropped it off at the dealer. Tigerjohn's post convinced me. They made me sign an agreement for a diagnostic charge and said "if we find anything, it should be covered under warranty". Hoping that at least some DTCs show up. My guess is that it's a faulty IACV. Anyone happen to know where that part is made, or maybe have a work order showing theirs got replaced?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in