DCT Stalling Problem - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 6Likes

post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned76 View Post
Just stopped and got my foot down, I went almost straight away when nothing it just cut; no big rush just normal acceleration due to traffic. Engine was at temp and done 9 miles at various speeds before this.

With your off guard theory I know what you mean, when in drive and going slow in second it sometimes feels as though it will stall so i have to knock it down manually..
I have the 17 Non DCT - 400 miles on it and the exact same scenario you describe. I rolled into the thankfully empty turn lane, stopped, hit the start and everything was fine. I'm only at 600 now but no new instances of this. Totally Ridiculous.....perhaps with all of this documented on the forums Honda will figure it out or prepare for their first huge lawsuit. Maybe I should have bought a 2500 dollar KLR650 so I could have reliability. I'm nervous as h3ll all the time now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 01:26 PM

My one and only stall so far was at 8-9 miles too.

How long did you let it idle/warm up before riding it?

The reason I ask is I think when mine stalled, I let it idle/warm up for a much longer time than I have in the past. Actually heard it bog down while idling and blipped the throttle a couple of times while it was idling to try and get it to clear up.

I'm wondering if either of those or a combination could possibly be the source of the issue.
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 04:22 PM

No real warm up; just start make sure all the lights go out, let it settle for 5 seconds or so then ride off in D taking it easy till the temp goes up. Then into S1 and traction control dependant on conditions.

I usually ride conservatively but this evening I opened it up and held the revs high to get evething nice and hot...no reoccurrence yet but tomorrow’s another day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 05:16 PM

I have a 2016 DCT with a little over 1000 miles on it stall on me at a stop sign this week. I thought maybe it was because I switched to 87 octane fuel.
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Jyuichi View Post
I have a 2016 DCT with a little over 1000 miles on it stall on me at a stop sign this week. I thought maybe it was because I switched to 87 octane fuel.
I've still only had the one stall at about 400 miles and I've only used 87 octane in it (I'm not sure there's any advantage to using the higher octane as long as the engine isn't pinging.)

Since the initial stall, I've been revving the engine slightly before starting off, similar to getting the revs up before letting out the clutch. So far, so good, but I'm only at 1300 miles now.

I seek to cure what's deep inside, frightened of this thing that I've become
post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 09:24 PM

Coming up on 3,000 miles and haven't had another stall. Wondering if it might be a bad gas kinda thing.
post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 09:46 PM

Stalled again today at a stop sign. Second time in two weeks. Is there any way to restart the engine while moving? It would suck to have to come to a complete stop on the highway to restart my engine.

https://youtu.be/MdlfxYtiesM
post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 07:03 PM

Was everyone running a stop sign when theirs stalled? I was too. Maybe its an anti-stop sign running feature
post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 09:00 AM

Now running mine in Sport 2 mode to make sure it revs more before changing gear; also since using S2 the MPG has gone up to 61 mpg as apposed to 58 in D....
post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
Was everyone running a stop sign when theirs stalled? I was too. Maybe its an anti-stop sign running feature
The one time it happened to me I was completely stopped at a light for about 20-30 seconds.

Even if I don't come to a complete stop at a stop sign, my DCT always shifts down to first gear before I start up again. In your case, could it be that you were still in 2nd gear when you started to go again?

I've come to realize that one of the disadvantages of the DCT is that I don't have complete control over the revs and clutch like I did with the standard transmission, and I have to adjust my riding style accordingly to prevent stalls and lurching at low speeds.

I seek to cure what's deep inside, frightened of this thing that I've become

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page