DCT Stalling Problem - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 5Likes

post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
DCT Stalling Problem

I've had my new 2017 Africa Twin DCT for 10 days and 420 miles and it has already stalled starting out from a stoplight with moderate throttle. It's exactly the same behavior as in these two videos:

By looking at multiple forums, I've found these potential causes but no "smoking gun" because the issue seems to be very intermittent for most people:
  • faulty ECM: reset by disconnecting battery or have dealer do a reset (different?)
  • start button/kill switch faulty: either clean and put on dielectric grease or replace
  • IACV (idle air control valve, part of throttle bottle): replace throttle bodies
  • Coils (not sure what this is)
  • Add booster plug (not sure what this is either)
  • Faulty bank angle sensor: supposed to shut off bike if it falls over (only one mention of this)

My bike is still under warranty but I use it every day for commuting so I'd like to avoid having it at the dealer for a week while they work on it (but I'll do that if necessary). I've been riding for 24 years and have done all my own maintenance during that time (this is my first new bike with a warranty). My Helm service manual for the AT should arrive any day now.

So what would you do in my situation? Wait and see if it happens again? Start doing some of the easy fixes above? Just take it to the dealer?

I'm surprised that no one has figured out the root cause of this yet. Does anyone know if Honda has a technical service bulletin on this?

I seek to cure what's deep inside, frightened of this thing that I've become
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 01:24 PM

Wonder if you could drop it into neutral at long stops and rev it a bit, then kick it back into gear when the light turns green? FWIW, I'm 1337 miles into my 2016 AT DCT and haven't had that happen. That said, I don't commute on it so not a ton of long waiting at lights. Is it only in D mode or S modes as well?
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
Wonder if you could drop it into neutral at long stops and rev it a bit, then kick it back into gear when the light turns green? FWIW, I'm 1337 miles into my 2016 AT DCT and haven't had that happen. That said, I don't commute on it so not a ton of long waiting at lights. Is it only in D mode or S modes as well?
It only happened once so far (yesterday) and it was in S1 mode. I had been driving in S2 mode but switched to S1 because I want to check fuel efficiency.

I just got past the 300 mile break-in period and I've been starting out more vigorously (but not super aggressive). Someone else suggested that the DCT is still "learning my style" and maybe I confused it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 01:13 PM

Just got off the phone with Honda about my AT DCT stalling and they said that I was the first person that has ever called them about it. They recommended taking it to the dealer and letting them try to replicate it, which I suspect is impossible to do. Honda did say if more people called in, there might be more action on this from them. So if you've had the issue, let them know. 866-784-1870, Monday - Friday 8:30 - 4:30 PST.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
Just got off the phone with Honda about my AT DCT stalling and they said that I was the first person that has ever called them about it. They recommended taking it to the dealer and letting them try to replicate it, which I suspect is impossible to do. Honda did say if more people called in, there might be more action on this from them. So if you've had the issue, let them know. 866-784-1870, Monday - Friday 8:30 - 4:30 PST.
I just called them as well to report the issue I had (DCT stalling when taking off from a stop light). The guy I talked to was aware of the issue being reported on forums but said there were no technical bulletins from Honda on how to fix the issue.

My guess is that Honda is well aware of the issue but doesn't have any idea how to fix it. I wonder if the issue will go away on the 2018 models because those are Throttle By Wire, and they can prevent stalling no matter when or how fast the rider opens the throttle.

post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 12:01 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bless The Rains View Post
I've had my new 2017 Africa Twin DCT for 10 days and 420 miles and it has already stalled starting out from a stoplight with moderate throttle. It's exactly the same behavior as in these two videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSfDe2p06po
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx-34kyTHIY

By looking at multiple forums, I've found these potential causes but no "smoking gun" because the issue seems to be very intermittent for most people:
  • faulty ECM: reset by disconnecting battery or have dealer do a reset (different?)
  • start button/kill switch faulty: either clean and put on dielectric grease or replace
  • IACV (idle air control valve, part of throttle bottle): replace throttle bodies
  • Coils (not sure what this is)
  • Add booster plug (not sure what this is either)
  • Faulty bank angle sensor: supposed to shut off bike if it falls over (only one mention of this)

My bike is still under warranty but I use it every day for commuting so I'd like to avoid having it at the dealer for a week while they work on it (but I'll do that if necessary). I've been riding for 24 years and have done all my own maintenance during that time (this is my first new bike with a warranty). My Helm service manual for the AT should arrive any day now.

So what would you do in my situation? Wait and see if it happens again? Start doing some of the easy fixes above? Just take it to the dealer?

I'm surprised that no one has figured out the root cause of this yet. Does anyone know if Honda has a technical service bulletin on this?
Another thing to try is to check and drain the crankcase vent tubes. I had the same problems early on and found that solution. Mine had about a tablespoon of oil in the left side.

After you get a few good miles on it the problem will hopefully go away. My '17 AT took about 1500 miles before it felt like it was broke in good. And its never stalled since in the last 2k miles, knock on wood.
Bless The Rains likes this.

Dave
I thought you could ride
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORVdaveVA View Post
Another thing to try is to check and drain the crankcase vent tubes. I had the same problems early on and found that solution. Mine had about a tablespoon of oil in the left side.

After you get a few good miles on it the problem will hopefully go away. My '17 AT took about 1500 miles before it felt like it was broke in good. And its never stalled since in the last 2k miles, knock on wood.
Cool. I'll check those today when I do my 600 mile oil change.

post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 07:46 AM

Just over a 1000 mile on my 2017 DCT AT; as I went to pull away at a roundabout this morning the engine stopped. It started up again without any issues but not fun.

I spoke to the dealer I got the bike from they suggest a possible pipe being squashed under the fuel tank and recommended I take to my local dealer.

Booked in for early next week.

:-/
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned76 View Post
Just over a 1000 mile on my 2017 DCT AT; as I went to pull away at a roundabout this morning the engine stopped. It started up again without any issues but not fun.

I spoke to the dealer I got the bike from they suggest a possible pipe being squashed under the fuel tank and recommended I take to my local dealer.

Booked in for early next week.

:-/
Sorry to hear that. Can you give any more details? How long were you sitting at the roundabout? Was the engine warm? How vigorously did you open the throttle?

Mine hasn't stalled again since the first time. But I've been opening the throttle a little (not enough to move the bike) as I get close to the time I think the light is going to change. I'm wondering if it stalls once in a while because we simply catch the engine "off guard" and give it too much air when it's not prepared for it. Just a working hypothesis for now.

post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 10:22 AM

Just stopped and got my foot down, I went almost straight away when nothing it just cut; no big rush just normal acceleration due to traffic. Engine was at temp and done 9 miles at various speeds before this.

With your off guard theory I know what you mean, when in drive and going slow in second it sometimes feels as though it will stall so i have to knock it down manually..

Last edited by Ned76; 05-15-2018 at 11:16 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page