Are There Any Performance Packages Available for the Africa Twin? - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 5Likes

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 03:05 PM

My mechanic once was complaining for his - years back - choice to get the Honda service over KTM. I asked why and he replied me with the following question:

he: "how many years do we know eachother and I service your bikes?"

me: "more than 10 yrs and 3 bikes allright"

he: "and on those 10 yrs, how much money did I made of your bikes due to failures or breakdowns rather than scheduled services"

me: "well.....none"

he: "there is you answer"

KTM are getting better those days; but much Honda's reliability? I think there is quite some way up to that point.....
MildlyInterested likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les P View Post
If you are expecting a fast / powerful bike you will be in for a surprise, the AF is very average and would go as far as saying a slug two up at anything under 110 km/h in 6th gear, it is very lacking in torque.
One up is OK, two up and 120 km/h + is better but in a country where the open road speed limits are 100 / 110 km/h for the most part I was very underwhelmed by its road performance.

Perhaps a case of being heavy (242 kgs for the DCT apparently) and low revolutions in 6th gear combined with lack of torque in that rev range.
Omg this has to be a complete joke. I mean seriously. I had my twin going a 105mph today and it had so much more. Smooth as silk for what it is. A 500+ pound 95 hp technical marvel.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyh View Post
Coming back to motorcycles after years off, I have to say, nearly 100HP is *nuts* powerful for me.

Back when I rode a lot, it was on a ’78 Honda 750 Four K and a 1976 Kawasaki KZ650 (bike of the year that year, but I got mine in ‘78) and a ’75 Honda XL250.

That KZ650 had 62HP but it flat out took off! That bike was fast, even by today’s standards—no, not crazy-literbike-fast, but fast. And the 750 Four K had about 68HP—a great bike, but not nearly as fast as the KZ.

The Honda XL250 had all of 24HP! And I had so much fun on that bike! And never wanted for power.

I might like to test ride a KTM with 160HP, but just for giggles.

But my 2018 ATAS manual has more power than I’ll ever need. And as for speed? It takes off like a fricking rocket—by any standard. Is it slower than a 160HP KTM in the mile, or 0 – 60 MPH? Sure… but by what margin? From what I can find, in the 1/4 mile, it’s something around 1 second, or just over. One second.

Maybe I’m easy to please, having come back after so long. But the ATAS ticks all my boxes—and more.

All this crazy talk about “is it powerful enough” or “fast enough” …Hẹll, it’s stupid powerful and fast, no matter how you dice it or what you compare it to.

I find the low-end torque to be amazingly strong *and smooth* while dirt riding. And the bike performs incredibly well on the road, even on the twisties and backroads. It’s one hẹll of a comfortable ride too—can go for hours and hours.

It ain’t about the numbers, man. They can be misleading. It’s the package. And the Honda Africa Twin is one hẹll of a bike.

If you're careful enough, you can go just about anywhere on this bike… and you’ll likely get there before the guys on the “more powerful” bikes.

Have fun; ride safe, Gary

Finally someone says something that’s positive, and interesting.
gvmumbral likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garryh1 View Post
Ktm more reliable than Honda???
I know a few dual ktm/ Honda main dealers who would tell you the opposite!
The unmodified KTM would be much more reliable than a highly modified AT, I expect if you could get 160hp out of the AT it would be a time bomb waiting to explode

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page