What fuel (octane level) are you guys running? - Page 6 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 32Likes

post #51 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Here in Ontario, Canada, it's hard to find a pump thats not 10% ethanol.
I have heard that the ethanol creates problems.
Will something like a shot of SeaFoam at fillup negate using the ethanol infused gas ?
Seafoam is a cleaner. The Marine product says it works with ethanol gas/// Sta-bil says if you use the right product ... https://www.goldeagle.com/tips-tools...yths-debunked/

Understand that Ethanol absorbs water. Useful life of ethanol fuel in your tank is 30-90 days. When the temperature drops the water separates once the saturation point is passed.

I'll use regular 87 pump gas all summer in my bikes when I ride a lot but switch to Chevron 94 no-ethanol in the fall. I ride my bikes year-round though I 'll not ride for a couple of months if the snow hits.

For generator, chainsaw and weedwacker I only use Chevron 94 with Sta-bil in the gerrycan. If I don't empty the gerrycan in a year I dump it in the truck and buy more.

http://www.echo.ca/Warranty/Learn-Ab...uel-062512.pdf

Want to see what ethanol left sitting does to a KTM fuel pump?
Read post #7690 on ADV rider https://advrider.com/f/threads/real-...#post-37746224

Last edited by black99S; 06-07-2019 at 10:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 10:21 AM

I have used 88 ethanol free fuel since new. The Maverick stations here in Southern Utah have blue handle pumps that sell it - slightly more expensive than E10 premium. Bike runs smoothly with no problems but only has 2000 miles so not a long term test.
post #53 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 10:29 AM

Went on a long ride with my brother, who has a 1200GS. He filled our tanks with Premium (91 here in Oregon I think) and my AT ran noticeably more rough. I couldn't tell if my mileage went up at all, but when I filled up again I went back to Regular (87) and my bike felt much smoother.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pollard View Post
Went on a long ride with my brother, who has a 1200GS. He filled our tanks with Premium (91 here in Oregon I think) and my AT ran noticeably more rough. I couldn't tell if my mileage went up at all, but when I filled up again I went back to Regular (87) and my bike felt much smoother.
Agree. I think (feel) my AT Standard runs smoother and coughs/dies less on regular gas with ethanol.
When I'm not riding as much I use Chevron 94 (no ethanol) to ensure the gas stays good and doesn't absorb water - especially fall through spring.
I've seen too many f'd up carbs, gas tanks, fuel pumps and engines to risk letting gas with Ethanol sit unused for any length of time.
post #55 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 10:23 AM

Garage
Honda say 86 or higher. I run 87 in Canada. The engine is low compression for a modern engine. Higher octane fuel will not burn as efficiently and will be a waste of money.

regards
James Mc
Africa Twin Canada eh?

Current: 2017 CRF1000L DCT
Previous: 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050
Previous: 2003 Honda Varadero XL1000V (bought 2003, Sadly left behind in Europe)
post #56 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 10:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltadude View Post
Great thread. I've been noticing stalling right from the first and my dealer told me to use Premium. I'm going with the cheaper gas on my next fill up and give it a try. Thanks
Stalling (at low revs) comes as no surprise on Premium, especially if the engine is cold. Lower octane such as 86/87 will allow the engine to burn fuel more efficiently and save on your wallet if that is a concern at all.

regards
James Mc
Africa Twin Canada eh?

Current: 2017 CRF1000L DCT
Previous: 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050
Previous: 2003 Honda Varadero XL1000V (bought 2003, Sadly left behind in Europe)

Last edited by james.mc; 06-09-2019 at 11:35 AM.
post #57 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 11:20 AM

I now use Regular...

I ran premium (91-93 US Octane) for the first 3,000 miles after I first bought my bike, but have since switched to regular (87).

The reason I switched was I am often riding back roads in the middle of nowhere and have to stop at out of the way gas stations. In rural areas, they may not sell much 93 octane fuel, so it may have more water in the fuel.

That actually happened to me on a long road trip and it cost me a bunch of hours stopping and dealing with it before I finally got it all through the system (fuel additives with multiple fill ups).

I have not noticed my bike detonating, pinging or having a loss of power since switching.
post #58 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mc View Post
Stalling (at low revs) comes as no surprise on Premium, especially if the engine is cold. Lower octane such as 86/87 will allow the engine to burn fuel more efficiently and save on your wallet if that is a concern at all.

Your thoughts are the same as mine, but even after switching to regular the bike still misses some time around 2000 or less rpm. I was told that a power commander and a new exhaust system would fix it but I'm not ready to plunk out the cash. Also, after changing to regular I've not noticed any difference in the performance of the bike.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page