Acceleration ... - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 5Likes

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Acceleration ...

Hi guys,

Question, I have a ATAS 2018... When I ride agressive, I feel the gas don't get there regular... I feel the curve of power is not nice curve. I know magic start to happen at 4500 rpm. But after that, it does't go smooth the cure of acceleration.

Then, when I turn off the engine, and start back, it seam to go well for like 15 minutes, and restart to be not regular...
It is NOT the traction control... It is not the cut-off.... Is just it does't go smooth

Also, when I put the full throttle, I have the feeling the bike slow down, if I release a little bite, it accelerate more faster..

Any idea about that issue

Thank you for all your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stongeg View Post
Hi guys,

Question, I have a ATAS 2018... When I ride agressive, I feel the gas don't get there regular... I feel the curve of power is not nice curve. I know magic start to happen at 4500 rpm. But after that, it does't go smooth the cure of acceleration.

Then, when I turn off the engine, and start back, it seam to go well for like 15 minutes, and restart to be not regular...
It is NOT the traction control... It is not the cut-off.... Is just it does't go smooth

Also, when I put the full throttle, I have the feeling the bike slow down, if I release a little bite, it accelerate more faster..

Any idea about that issue

Thank you for all your help.

No expert on fuel injection but the description you give makes feel your bike is running very lean. A trip to a dealer for peace of mind may be in order.

Pete.
TonyH50 likes this.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 03:45 AM

I think I am experiencing something similar. It looks like that if I grab the throttle aggresively there is a momentarily hesitation. Not big, but noticable. More like delaying to give full throttle for a sec or less.

It cannot be the Traction because I do not see the indication go lit.

I intent to do more testing on that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 01:24 PM

My first question would be what Riding Mode are you in? If you are in URBAN or GRAVEL, there's a definite noticeable lag. If my P setting is 3 itís more pronounced, and with 2, a bit more subtle. (But I havenít really done a lot of testing in P=2 mode).
But you mention a difference after riding for 15 minutes, so I'm guessing itís not Power Mode related and you're either in TOUR Mode or USER with P=1.
At any rate, it doesnít sound kosher. If anything, I have a bit of the opposite problem at lower speeds. I find the throttle to be hyper-sensitive down low, cruising around town in 2nd or 3rd requires careful throttle management, the smallest movements can trigger a herky-jerky ride, e.g., hit a bump that causes my throttle hand to jerk down a bit, and the bike might do a little jump forward.
But I can bang it without any noticeable issues in all gears. If I'm in 6th, doing say, 50mph, I can go full throttle and it flat out takes off with just a bit of an initial delay. If I'm in 4th or 5th at 50mph and bang it, almost no delay and all the power I could want.
And most importantly, I find the power curve up high to be smooth as silk on my bike. In 6th gear, riding at 60mph and banging the throttle, Iím doing 100mph in seconds. I havenít timed it, but itís going, going, gone with smooth continued acceleration all the way.
Good luck getting it sorted. Gary

Ps. I know it may seem obvious, but try another type/ brand of fuel? (I'm running regular unleaded 87).
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 03:03 AM

I have just noticed that you guys there run lower octane then our country which is 95 octane.. is 87 the highest you have?
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 03:41 AM

I have done some trials this morning. Still need to do some more but here are my observations so far:

1. Gravel Mode: of course the power delivery is significantly reduced in this mode, so there is no reason to test rapid accelerations. I ussually use this mode for easy riding and fuel economy. Subsequently I have not observed any issue with this mode.

2. Urban mode and Tour mode:

If I would go up to the rpm limiter with all gears, there seem to be no noticable issue. But, if I am traveling on 6th gear, at say 130kph and twist the throttle hard to accelerate, there seems to be a lag. It is much less noticable with URBAN mode, while more evident on TOUR mode.

Also, on TOUR mode, I noticed that, traveling with 130KpH and twisting the throttle steadily but neither all the way up at once, nor too slow, there are small (time-wise) power gaps during accelaration. And indeed it seem that easing a bit on the throttle, the power comes back. Feels like if the CPU cannot decide how much fuel to inject for some msecs.

Other than that, the bike runs absolutely perfectly. It does reach top speed easily (topped at 224kph on certain conditions: 5lt fuel in the tank, no top case, no wind, 23 deg Centigrade).

But, the question would be, can it make even better performance or the afformenioned behavior takes away some of its potential?

(please accept my apologies if my English are not good enough to explain my observations; it is not my native language).
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 10:06 AM

The octane number for gas in the US is an average of the two methods of calculating it (RON, or research octane number, and MON, motor octane number). Don't ask me what the difference is. One is lower than the other so the average is smaller. I believe the US may be the only place this is done that way. The highest octane generally available is between 91 and 93, and it may or may not be available everywhere.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 10:53 AM

What Shadowjack said, Africano. Your 95, there in South Africa, might be the same as our 87, here in US. (There's a Wiki page on the subject).
Around here, in Virginia, the standard is: 87 (low)/ 89 (mid)/ 91-93 (high) depending on gas station. And you can occasionally find up to 95 in some places. And even more rare, there are one or two places you can find ethanol-free gasoline, but it's usually higher octane stuff too.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 03:34 PM

Yep Im thinking this is a common experience with the 2018 ATAS, power is coming in waves almost holding back then full on,however keep the faith and give it a thrashing now and again and get some miles under your belt as I believe this will improve when the bike gets more run in as I believe mine has. My Idle is almost perfect and jerkiness has all but gone and plenty of power.....
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 09:32 PM

I donít think I ever had that issue with my 2018 ATASóany power curve issues.

And I just got back from a test run trying to see if I could duplicate the sort of thing Petros describes but couldnít find any issues.

If I'm doing 80 mph (130kph) in 6th gear and bang itófull throttleóthe power is nearly instantaneous, negligible lag (however, I slow as I reach 100mphóhavenít had the opportunity to take it much faster yet). As I wrote above, if I'm doing 50mph in 6th, there is a bit of a delay, but the power comes on in one continuously accelerating motion, faster, faster, gone.

And in 4th doing 40-45mph or 5th doing 50-55mph, itís much the sameónearly immediate and smooth, ever faster.

However, having said as much, I agree with Harleywilma too: from about 650 miles on, the bike seems to have come into itself some, everything getting smoother (shifting, engine revving, idling, etc.) while at the same time becoming more responsive, and seemingly more powerful.

And idling in 1st gear around a parking lot is now nearly smooth as silk compared to what it was like with around 300 Ė 500 miles on the bike. (I'm now at around 750 miles on the bike). Idling in circles, no throttle, in 1st, is so very smooth, nearly perfect, zero lag or any of that slight back and forth I used to get. The rpm's seem to be nailed in place.

And my engine always idled pretty well while parked, but early on there was some slight variation and a few times where she nearly coughed a bit here and there. But thatís all gone now too.

750 miles isnít a whole lot, I realize that, but it seems to be all my bike needed to get exercised into what seems like a premium state of health.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page