Low speed poor fuelling - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 5Likes

post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Low speed poor fuelling

Does anyone else suffer from this:
2018 ATAS manual.
When riding slowly through towns normally in third gear the bike lurches forwards and backwards. Its as though the bike cant decide how much fuel to inject. The throttle is held steady at just off idle. Power is set to 1 out of 3 (most power) and engine braking is set to 2 out of 3.

The fuelling is fine once the throttle is opened up, its just that riding slowly seems jerky. So I would be keen to hear how others find their 2018 bikes, I wonder if a re map will fix it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKev View Post
Does anyone else suffer from this:
2018 ATAS manual.
When riding slowly through towns normally in third gear the bike lurches forwards and backwards. Its as though the bike cant decide how much fuel to inject. The throttle is held steady at just off idle. Power is set to 1 out of 3 (most power) and engine braking is set to 2 out of 3.

The fuelling is fine once the throttle is opened up, its just that riding slowly seems jerky. So I would be keen to hear how others find their 2018 bikes, I wonder if a re map will fix it
From my limited riding of the 2018 bike Kev, I thought it was worse than my 2017. My bike isn't too bad but just out of interest and because I saved £5700 by not trading it in for a 2018 bike I bought a RapidBike Easy. At first I thought it was helping but then concluded that I really couldn't tell much difference. I'm booked in for a remap at Hilltop next week.
The tickover on my bike is really poor - lumpy and irregular. The RapidBike Easy didn't change this but did seem to help a bit higher up the rev range. Can a big parallel twin be made to idle smoothly? I'm hoping the remap will make it so.
Mike
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

I will be interested to hear how that re map goes. My ATAS tickover settles down when warm but after setting off cold it gives a huge surge 100 yards down the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 11:07 AM

I get this too, Kev. Not too jerky in 3rd, but she sometimes doesn't like to idle along real steady does she? In 1st, going real slow is where I get it most; and a bit in 2nd too. She's like a stallion chomping at the bit. I'm learning to tame her some.

2018 ATAS.

Gary
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Yes that's a good description of how it feels, a horse straining to go. I find that the lurching is less if I ride in a lower gear and rev it more, say second gear at 25mph rather than 3rd gear.
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 04:45 PM

I feel the Hilltop remap is the only way to go, must get mine done ASAP.
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 05:11 PM

hi big kev i have the same problem with my africa twin adven sport 2018 model manual. its just a pill to ride in traffic most of the time you have to pull the clutch in to stop it jumping around at slow speed. could this be the fly by wire throttle. as the 16 model is ok at slow speed. mr honda says its the way it rides. (bull ****) my bikes only done 700 miles
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 05:42 PM

re big kevs poor running at slow speed

hi kev i have the same problem with my ATAS it wont ride smooth in traffic at slow speed it just jumps around and most the time al have to pull the clutch in. my bikes only done 700 miles it a pain. i had a pan euro before this and that was so smooth a know there chalk and cheese but this cant be right for a honda. i live in gateshead so might see you about
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKev View Post
I will be interested to hear how that re map goes. My ATAS tickover settles down when warm but after setting off cold it gives a huge surge 100 yards down the road.
wow - I've never had that. My tickover stays high for about a minute when the engine is cold but then drops back to the correct revs - but that tickover is an irregular chugging sort of thing, and that's exactly what the drive feels like when I'm going slowly. However when I look at the rev counter when doing 30 through a town and getting the lumpy drive, the rpm alwys seems nearer 2000rpm rather than 1200, and if I hold the revs at 2000 while the bike is on the stand, the engine is smooth - so I can't square that one.
Mike
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 04:26 AM

The Euro 4 (or is it 6) emissions screw up engines big time, it bet the engineers hate it. Iím sure they could design a brilliant smooth running engine, but it get spoilt by the constraints of the latest emission control.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page