Cost of valve check/adjustment - Page 6 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 15Likes

post #51 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 07:22 PM

I just don't get why Honda did this to people. An adventure bike needs to be serviceable. An air filter needs to be a 10 minute job.

As for valves I'm now 65 and run my bikes easy these days. Just touring/camping and easy cruising. No more hi-RPM stuff like when I was in my 20s.

I can easily run a bike to 80km (50,000 miles) and not worry about valve shim clearance. Last time I checked a set of valves at 30,000 miles the were still fine. So I no longer even think about them.

I was giving the AT a serious look but from all I have seen/read/heard, I may take it off the list. I think I will wait till I can see the Yamaha T700. I like the size, fit, more power then I need but I have got to have a bike that is easy to service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamnut View Post
... Labor was 5 hours billed at $212.50 with parts being billed at $249.00, totaling $461.00.
Nice deal other than having to wait 28 days. Here in Florida the rate is $130/hr
post #53 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 03:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxswift View Post
So on the invoices from dealers, I'm curious. when they did the job is New Coolant charged?
New Spark Plugs charged? or do they just put back the old?
These are things that don't make sense. 100K coolant but needs to be drained to do valve check?
Check Plugs, but you're in there so might as well just change them out?

So just curious what people's dealer invoices actually read for this $1000+?
The plugs get a check at 24,000km make sure the gap is not over 1mm (first valve check) replaced at the next one 48,000km (second valve check)
Coolant is NOT drained to do valve check. Coolant is changed at time, 3 years you don't need to do much other than undo one drain screw on side case then refill radiators for that, does not need to happen at valve check you can do that without disconnecting radiators. On the invoice there will typically be oil and filter $75(that's a kit in a box here in AU including the washers) , air filters $90 labour 8 hours and whatever else they may have done? So depending on what labour rate they quote that's a big chunk of the inv

Last edited by SkipD; 07-22-2019 at 03:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 09:09 AM

I had the valves checked at 17k miles. Just one of the exhaust valves needed adjustment all the others were within tolerances. While they were checking the valves I had them replace the air filters as well. My total cost including the air filters was $567. I was billed for 7.5 hrs labor.
post #55 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 05:39 PM

Hey XLGeorge did the 43 sprocket make much difference for off-road riding & much difference on your gas mileage ❓❓
post #56 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipD View Post
The plugs get a check at 24,000km make sure the gap is not over 1mm (first valve check) replaced at the next one 48,000km (second valve check)
Coolant is NOT drained to do valve check. Coolant is changed at time, 3 years you don't need to do much other than undo one drain screw on side case then refill radiators for that, does not need to happen at valve check you can do that without disconnecting radiators. On the invoice there will typically be oil and filter $75(that's a kit in a box here in AU including the washers) , air filters $90 labour 8 hours and whatever else they may have done? So depending on what labour rate they quote that's a big chunk of the inv
Thanks. other bikes I've had they have to remove the radiator...
post #57 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert rider View Post
Hey XLGeorge did the 43 sprocket make much difference for off-road riding & much difference on your gas mileage ❓❓

It has made the 1st gear slightly shorter and this has helped in slow/difficult off road passages, it has also helped in steep uphill/downhill riding. But it has helped even more on tarmac as the 6th gear has become much more usable throughout the range. I think my gas mileage may have even increased because of this but it has certainly not worsened.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page