Cost of valve check/adjustment - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 15Likes

post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Cost of valve check/adjustment

Hey guys I read this morning that on the AT, it appears to be a 7-8h maintenance job at 24000km (which includes valve job). Anyone had it done at the dealer, if so how much?$

I'm a bit disappointed. This would make the maintenance on the Honda close to Ducati territory (the older generation was even worse with a 1000$ maintenance every 12000km). Quite disappointing for a modern japanese twin. They clearly went out of their way to lower the masses, while not giving a f*** about ease of maintenance and cost of ownership...I ride 25-30000km a year, so this is kind of a bummer for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo007 View Post
Hey guys I read this morning that on the AT, it appears to be a 7-8h maintenance job at 24000km (which includes valve job). Anyone had it done at the dealer, if so how much?$

I'm a bit disappointed. This would make the maintenance on the Honda close to Ducati territory (the older generation was even worse with a 1000$ maintenance every 12000km). Quite disappointing for a modern japanese twin. They clearly went out of their way to lower the masses, while not giving a f*** about ease of maintenance and cost of ownership...I ride 25-30000km a year, so this is kind of a bummer for me.
Unfortunately, itís not an easy bike to work on. The problem is you have to remove so much, to get acces to the top end! If I could speak to Honda, the next gen AT should have more thought into access for servicing. The front faring and airbox arrangement are way to fussy and complicated, forget all the fancy clips and what have you, just use some dome head bolts! Make it possible to remove fuel tank, without removing the fairing! Air filter access is stupid, have a cover that you remove and then slide filter out!

Come on Honda, use some sense and good engineering, to make maintenance less time consuming. I wouldíve thought the dealers would prefer easier and less time consuming services, that way they get more bikes through the doors and customers donít have to wait so long for a service booking.
Speedo007 and AT-Dragon like this.
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

I really LOVE this bike, brilliant engine, great ergos (with taller rally seat and bar risers), I really had the intention to keep it a very long time (my record so far is 3 years with the same bike). When I see the Tenere 700 in the flesh I might be able to justify myself the swap. Yamaha's latest models (and most of their bikes for the last 30 years) doesn't seem to have half the issues some have experienced with the AT, and maintenance is usually fairly simple and further apart (valve check every 45000km). I promised myself never to touch a Ducati again because of how ridiculous the maintenance was...I just paid 350$ to have the dealer fit some Oxford heated grips and USB/12V socket (which I supplied), like Honda designed the bike thinking nobody would ever want to add accessories to the bike... most everything you need to access is a pain in the ass and requires that you remove the wheels and transmission.
AT-Dragon and Im_Too_Tired like this.

Last edited by Speedo007; 09-24-2018 at 07:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 03:30 AM

I used to believe that the Honda Varadero was a difficult bike to service when it came to air filter change and valves clearance check....welll, until i purchased the ATAS and installed the OEM fog light's switch, and had to remove all those fairings.

In any case, for a trained person (and specifically a honda mechanic) should be some 15-20 minutes top to remove all the fairings; Let's assume another 10 for the gas tank ... valve check is 1/2 hrs job.

The 7-8 hrs needed are simply becasue the engine must be cold for checking the valves. Ideally, the bike must be let to cool down completely. Each time I would have the valves cheched, I would let the bike to the workshop overnight.

Bad thing with US and UK (and I pressume other countries as well) is that you pay by the hour; this is not the case in Greece.

A typical service on my Varaderos, including oil, oil filter, brake fluid, coolant change, K&N filter cleaning and valve check would cost me no more than 150-160 Euros. Best thing, I am with the bike all the time (ok, the mechanic is a good friend, but the costs are cross checked with other as well).

Just for oil change (filter included) the cost is 50Euros.

Last edited by Petros Galiatsis; 09-25-2018 at 03:34 AM.
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros Galiatsis View Post
In any case, for a trained person (and specifically a honda mechanic) should be some 15-20 minutes top to remove all the fairings; Let's assume another 10 for the gas tank ... valve check is 1/2 hrs job.
Valve check in the AT is way more than a 1/2 hour job, a few hours surely but I cannot tell how many. A lot of things need to come off, I checked to install a speedo healer when I did put a 43-tooth sprocket in the back (which made the speed reading even more inaccurate) and I gave up after I saw what needed to be removed, I will do it when I will do the valves. I do all servicing alone, and even in my trusty Transalp 650 doing the valves takes quite some time (2.5-3 hours with a couple of teas/coffee in-between).
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLGeorge View Post
Valve check in the AT is way more than a 1/2 hour job, a few hours surely but I cannot tell how many. A lot of things need to come off, I checked to install a speedo healer when I did put a 43-tooth sprocket in the back (which made the speed reading even more inaccurate) and I gave up after I saw what needed to be removed, I will do it when I will do the valves. I do all servicing alone, and even in my trusty Transalp 650 doing the valves takes quite some time (2.5-3 hours with a couple of teas/coffee in-between).
George, it took me 30 minutes to remove all the ATAS fairings when I installed the OEM fog switch; and this was the very first time I did this. It took me more to get them back together, but I would expect a trained mechanic that has done this a number of times to need less time.

When I say that the valve clearance check (check, not adjustement) is half an hour I refer to the task alone, not the removing of the panels, tank etc. Definitelly it is NOT a 8hrs work in my experience.

By the way, you say you went to 43 tooth....maybe you would like to open a new thread and share your experience with this sprocket change.
Speedo007 likes this.
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 05:19 AM

The Honda interval for valves is rather conservative, and I mention this having experienced a number of Hondas over the years. I would tend to check valve clearances on the AT every 48000km, and this is what I am planning to do with my bike, which now has 28000ml/45000km.

In fact, I doubt the inlet valves will need any adjustment given they are shim-type, these valve types may need a shim change at 100000km but rarely before. On the other hand, the outlet valves use screw-locknut adjusters and these need typically more frequent adjustment e.g. every 36-48000km in my Transalp 650. But in my experience, outlet valves tend to open up rather than close down, and it is closing down by largish gap that may have harmful effects to the engine (burnt valve etc).

I will report what I will find for my valves at 48000km but I believe that doing the valves every 48000km is fairly safe in this engine. And as always, you pays your money etc.
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 05:33 AM

Quote:
When I say that the valve clearance check (check, not adjustement) is half an hour I refer to the task alone, not the removing of the panels, tank etc. Definitely it is NOT a 8hrs work in my experience.

Checking the clearances, yes it is 1/2 hour - or a bit more if the job is done pedantically, checking precisely how much is the gap, keeping notes, etc. If a couple of valves need adjustment, then more than that. And in fact, much more than that if any shim in the inlet valves needs replacing, which will necessitate camshaft removal. But yes, 8 hours sounds too much.

Quote:
By the way, you say you went to 43 tooth....maybe you would like to open a new thread and share your experience with this sprocket change.

Petros, very briefly, it is "must do" change in my opinion, the standard gearing is way too high in the 1st/6th gears. I am talking of a manual 2017 bike, it is even higher in the 2016-17 DCT. BTW, if the speedo was not so much out in the first place (or had I installed a speedo healer), I would even dare go for a 44 tooth rear sprocket given I do a lot of off-road riding, although high speed riding on tarmac may then suffer a bit.
Petros Galiatsis likes this.
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

The 7-8 hrs needed are simply becasue the engine must be cold for checking the valves. Ideally, the bike must be let to cool down completely. Each time I would have the valves cheched, I would let the bike to the workshop overnight.

All bikes need to be left overnight so they can work on the bike when it's cold, so I'm assuming the 7-8h doesn't include the cooling down time.
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Really wondering if someone had them checked/adjusted at the dealers and how much was the invoice...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page