DCT low speed manoeuvres - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 25Likes

post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

DCT low speed manoeuvres

I am liking the DCT gearbox in general, but I'm really struggling with low speed stuff such as tight U-turns. Never had a problem before on other Adventure bikes, so I am putting it down to the DCT box and the lack of a clutch to modulate speed.
Probably mostly lack of confidence on my part, but I need to get this cracked - do you have any particular techniques that you use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 09:06 AM

try dragging the rear brake a little, works for me
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 12:18 PM

Hi Maxply, I know what you mean as I was a little frustrated with my shoddy u turns etc.
You are dead right it is a lack of clutch confidence thing, the trust the DCT it copes with crawling pace well.
make sure you use the roll on the tyres by leaning it over well keep yourself upright and as keno351 said drag that rear brake a little if you need too it does help.
Shedracer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 05:32 PM

As Zippyworld says, thats my exact technique. Takes a while to adjust the lack of clutch, but once your use to it, itís fine.

One thing I donít understand with Honda, why didnít they put a rear brake lever on the left handle bar? Makes total sense to me and others alike, especially when you need to keep both feet on the ground, maybe on an incline, but also it would make slow speed manoeuvring a doddle.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 09:21 PM

Garage
I supply ample rear brake (as much as I need) when doing U-turns and slow maneuvers.
Found out that the ECU will slip the clutch if you're on the throttle and braking.
So while everyone says use 'little'; I say use as much as you need.
Once you have developed enough finesse with the throttle hand, you will need less braking.
Recently, I have moved onto tight full lock, U-turns using the front brake to turn the wheel even quicker.
aka MotoGymkhana.
Now, the rear brake is almost never used in slow stuff.
jamnut and Troops like this.

Quote:
2016 CRF1000LD, '15 NC700XD, '14 CTX700ND
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 12:15 AM

shedracer,
Honda did put a rear brake lever on the left side it's called the park brake, not to be used to stop the bike from speed, but works good in slow speed turns [u turns] sharp right hand down hill hair pins [ you can put right foot on ground]you can lock the rear wheel and slide the rear wheel, use it like clutch but in reverse, a ply a little throttle and use the rear hand brake to slow bike down.
I have used it all the the time in slow speed manoeuvring. Try it, if does not work for you don't do it. It is the one of the many advantages of the dct trany.
maxply try it, it may help.
jamnut and AT-Dragon like this.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input. I have tried using the parking brake on difficult uphill re-starts where I need both feet down & as you say it does help. Been out practising U-turns today and starting to see some improvement - will try the parking brake judiciously on U-turns on my next practice session.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 07:40 AM

Can honestly never say I have ever used the parking break.
mind you my bike sees the muddy stuff as a rare treat, mostly commutes/rides on tarmac.
Will try it on the A414 on run to work tomorrow just to see the looks on car drivers face lol
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippysworld View Post
Can honestly never say I have ever used the parking break.
mind you my bike sees the muddy stuff as a rare treat, mostly commutes/rides on tarmac.
Will try it on the A414 on run to work tomorrow just to see the looks on car drivers face lol
Whenever off tarmac it's a good discipline to get into to use the parking brake. Replicates leaving trail bike in gear.

As has been said...applying rear brake is the way to control low speed manouverability. Watch YouTube videos of the Californian Highway Patrol in their bikes.

Matter of practice.. familiarity with surface, adhesion, degree of brake application...

Over time you can blend with the front brake too...recognising that adhesion and keen angle are important to recognise.

Decent crash bars a good investment before you practice...and maybe try it on dry short soft grass....

Stuart
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 11:52 AM

Garage
Five good reasons you should not use the parking brake when there is a proper rear brake:
1. It wasn't designed for it.
2. Has limited braking power
3. The pads wear much quicker
4. May damage the rotor
5. There is a rear brake?
james.mc and zippysworld like this.

Quote:
2016 CRF1000LD, '15 NC700XD, '14 CTX700ND

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page