Dipstick troubles. - Page 3 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 7Likes

post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dascooter View Post
Manual is a bit confusing. Below is copied form the manual. Says when checking oil level to place bike in an upright position. Is that on the side stand or center stand?
Dascooter, I assume it means up-and-down, not on the stand. I don't have a center stand (or a paddock stand yet) so I put the side stand on a flat block so it's more vertical but still reasonably safe. Then it just takes a little push to get it straight up-and-down while I check the oil. I also position the bike so the right side is near the wall, just in case. But like most bikes, it's pretty easy to balance it with little effort.

dascooter likes this.

2018 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports - Manual.
Setup: Givi Tall Sport Touring Windscreen; Hepco & Becker Lower Engine Guards; Hepco & Becker Handle Bar/ Hand Guard Protectors; Hepco & Becker Tank Guard Soft Bags for OEM Uppers; HTTMT Kickstand Pad Extender (Red);
RAM Mounts X-Grip; Swegotech Forkshield; Touratech Zega Mundo Panniers and 2018 Rack (31/38L); Touratech 20mm Bridged Handlebar Riser; OEM center stand; OEM skid-plate, uppers and tires.

Last edited by garyh; 11-15-2018 at 11:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 09:36 AM

Great idea. I do not have a center stand yet either because of the recall. Block of wood a great idea.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigermike View Post
First time posting here so bear with me. I'm putting the AT down for the winter here in Minnesota for the first time (bought used in August), it slapped us pretty hard already. I warm up my garage with the bike in there all day. I drain the oil cold and replace the filter. I let it drip over supper. I come back and tighten up the drain plug. The manual says 4.1 liters with a filter change so I put in 3.5 qts and push the bike outside and run it for 10 minutes. I bring it inside and let it sit for 5 minutes and unscrew the dipstick and reinsert it to the threads. The thing reads like an inch over the top line. ????? Great, bad info in the manual. I pull off the skid plate and drain about a half a quart out, reinsert the stick again and it is over an inch still. I drain more out and again checking it it's an inch over. I'm pissed now so I completely drain it, that'll show it who's boss. Much to my dismay it still reads as too full. I tried putting it in at various angles and it still reads the same. I have no idea what could be causing this. I put the oil I drained out back in and left it. There should be enough oil in there to operate it but as far as getting a proper oil level I have no idea how I'm going to do that. Anybody else have this problem?
I can't believe everyone missed it.... right there in the first line! "putting her down for the winter" Heated grips and longjohn's for those sunny winter afternoons Tigermike...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 09:33 PM

Un-screw all bolts before you drain & oil filter, this is the best way to remove oil from engine & donít forget to put oil back in the engine. PS make sure you buy slippery oil , I have read a lot of research on oil & the slippery kind is highly recommended. 👍🤡🤡🤡🤡
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamnut View Post
I can't believe everyone missed it.... right there in the first line! "putting her down for the winter" Heated grips and longjohn's for those sunny winter afternoons Tigermike...
Jamnut, you don't say where you live, but I live a couple of hundred miles south of Minnesota, and after there starts to be frozen water on the ground, I'm done, too. Even thawed frozen water (with salt in it) is too much trouble. Besides, people in cars are fools on ice. Fools, I tell you!
jamnut likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page