Water pump leaking - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Water pump leaking

This has been going on since day one mile 2. Left over 2017 DCT bought 8-2018. Iíve monitored it closely since then and 3300 miles later itís getting worse. I didnít rush to the dealer at first due to the little clause in service manual about a little seepage as normal. But what Iím seeing now is far from what Iíd call normal. Itís all over the exhaust pipe and I smell it at stops.

Being a DCT model access to water pump looks a little more complicated to access. Which leads me to be concerned as to how much my local 4 wheeler dealer I bought it at will even know how to fix it. I can see this going down hill from the get go. I get bike back and leaks fixed but now the shifting is some how messed up since theyíll have to remove the entire DCT mechanism and clutch cover to get at the pump seal.

To think I bought a Honda thinking nothing would go wrong.

I plan to contact selling dealer today. There is another Honda dealer near me but I wonít walk in that place over a triumph purchase there last year. It had an issue with a gas tank brand new and they ruined any future business there with me over that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Contacted selling dealer. Conversation did not go very well. Told me 3 weeks backed up and wouldn't order one thing until bike was sitting in front of him. Which means it'll sit there 3 weeks before they even start working on it. Not sure how long parts take to get there as I didn't even get that far with him.

Looked up the parts online, studied the service manual procedure and pretty confident I can do this and do it right. It wasn't that bad but I can see how something could go wrong with sloppy technician working on it. I have a friend who is a Honda mechanic but is in Florida I am in MS. Contacted him about it and he said absolutely do it yourself if you have no faith in the dealership. This is the same dealer who over filled it 1/2 quart of oil at time of delivery because they didn't understand the oil check procedure on a dry sump motor.

So I guess I will order the parts online which equals about $220 and do it myself. Piss on the warranty which is worthless anyway.

2017 CRF1000 DCT candy apple red
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 11:13 AM

Good luck with the repair. This would be a good one to take pictures of and share here on the forum for other users. I think the lack of knowledge at dealers is a symptom of our times. I often ask questions about the bike that even 'experience techs' don't know - and I'm not making any claim to expert knowledge. Most external gaskets look like they can be done by someone with some mechanical knowledge, some patience and time. I'm sure you'll figure it out.
roy826 likes this.

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Ė Robert Louis Stevenson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 11:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfunkomatic View Post
Good luck with the repair. This would be a good one to take pictures of and share here on the forum for other users. I think the lack of knowledge at dealers is a symptom of our times. I often ask questions about the bike that even 'experience techs' don't know - and I'm not making any claim to expert knowledge. Most external gaskets look like they can be done by someone with some mechanical knowledge, some patience and time. I'm sure you'll figure it out.
I second taking photos and sharing your experiences with the forum. I am interested to see if you'll be able to determine the cause of the leak.
gvmumbral likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 02:38 AM

I had a coolant leak, and it turned out to be quite serious, and cost Honda alot of money in replacement parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by relz View Post
I recently noticed a dribble of (water/coolant?) down the right front side of my engine. It originates at a small hole, just under the right spark plug.

I was worried it might be a coolant pump weep hole (which I've never heard of until yesterday when I started reading around the subject), so I went in to my local garage to inspect the bike, still under warranty.
He says that judging from the location it seems to be a drain hole for the spark plug well. Perhaps some water got in there when I was cleaning my bike (very likely), and due to corrosion (?) it got that greenish tint.

Anyone else seen a similar leak?
Can/should I indeed relax and assume it's just a drain hole for excess water?
I couldn't find it mentioned anywhere in the shop manual...

I'd recommend making sure it's not something serious which requires Warranty intervention, before you dig into it on your own.

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime.", Burt Munro.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by relz View Post
I had a coolant leak, and it turned out to be quite serious, and cost Honda alot of money in replacement parts.

I'd recommend making sure it's not something serious which requires Warranty intervention, before you dig into it on your own.
I'm certain it is only the water pump which is a sealed unit which simply bolts onto the back of the right crankcase cover. I've done my homework on it through the service manual and with many years of past experience on engines. Seal is bad inside the water pump which is not a serviceable unit. This is the whole purpose of the little drain nipple off the back side of the right crankcase below the water pump. Only two things can come out of that nipple drain, coolant or oil. There are two seals inside a water pump, one to keep oil from the coolant and the other to keep coolant from the oil. The void between them is the drain hole.

BTW your leak was a whole different animal than what I have. I clearly have a water pump leak.

Even if Honda does it it'll still cost them money, flat labor rate plus parts which are 12 orings, gasket and a pump plus 3 sealing washers on a DCT cover that are copper and could be reused if you know how. I am not about to let the kid in the back of any dealership LEARN this procedure on my $14k motorcycle. After it is screwed up you are left dealing with the dealership, Honda will stand by and simply not do anything to correct the issue because the screw up will not be a "manufacturing defect". Trust me I have bought plenty of things that did in fact end this way whether it was a truck/car/TV or a motorcycle. I'm old and wise and lucky for me I have learned the hard way how quickly things can go wrong at this level.

This repair requires attention to detail you are not going to get at today's 4 wheeler oriented shops. The places are filthy and all that works there are young kids a dealer threw a uniform on and called a technician. Technical skills and pride in ones work went out the door along time ago in this country. I'll take my chances in my shop on my lift and on my dime.

Last edited by roy826; 01-10-2019 at 07:42 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 01:33 PM

Well, don't go knocking the Honda Warranty if you don't even take advantage of it. How do you know the service department won't do a satisfactory job of it? Have you contacted the Honda distributor? I can only guess why you also had issues at the other Honda/Triumph dealership.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy827 View Post
Well, don't go knocking the Honda Warranty if you don't even take advantage of it. How do you know the service department won't do a satisfactory job of it? Have you contacted the Honda distributor? I can only guess why you also had issues at the other Honda/Triumph dealership.

This is real discussion not made up stuff.

Yes Honda has been contacted you want the case number. I know who you are so tread lightly.

Do you really want me to go into detail about what happened at the Honda/Triumph dealer over the Triumph Tiger gas tank? Or should I just name this dealership for others to avoid in the near future?

Same thing can happen where I bought this leaking bike that came complete with half a qt of oil over filled in it because at PDI the person doing it didn't understand the oil check procedure on a dry sump motor and dumped more oil into thinking it was low. I have proof this happened. Luckily for me I go behind people to back check and discovered this error early on. Oil spilled at the time they over filled it was a dead give away since it ran down the engine case and looked to be an oil leak on the stator cover initially. That wasn't a leak it was spilled oil but the 1/2 qt over filled was real. I drained it out and it has been fine since. The pump leaking was present day one after the 2 mile PDI ride was performed. The bike had coolant spray all over the under side and on the black heat guard on exhaust pipe from the ride home in the back of my truck. The truck bed even had coolant drops on it clearly visible. That's right it had 2 friggin miles on it then. I wiped that off and the droplets of coolant just kept coming back. First oil change at 600 miles a nice dried coolant puddle was present in the skid plate directly under the water pump drain nipple. Knowing what I know now I should have turned around that day and hauled that thing back to YOU!

Ain't my first rodeo ride on a motorcycle working on them or riding them, now what else you got to add that is positive roy827

Last edited by roy826; 01-11-2019 at 08:00 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 04:48 PM

I do all my own work on my bikes, having learned from past experience that the dealer mechanics break 2 additional things for every one they are paid to fix. If it were me I would try to fix the problem myself rather than going through the hassle of using the dealer, even if the bike was still under warranty. But that's me. For what the pump cost, $105.48 online, https://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemp...nkcase-cover-2 , it isn't worth the time and concern with taking it to the dealer and hope the job was done right. But if the engine threw a rod or sucked a valve, while still under warranty, that might be something I would let the dealer take care of. Only because of the cost of the parts involved, but if they supplied all the parts I would rather do the work myself.

Current Bikes
2018 Royal Ehfield Himalayan
2017 Honda Africa Twin
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2005 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R1150RT

Last edited by azccj; 01-11-2019 at 04:54 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by azccj View Post
I do all my own work on my bikes, having learned from past experience that the dealer mechanics break 2 additional things for every one they are paid to fix. If it were me I would try to fix the problem myself rather than going through the hassle of using the dealer, even if the bike was still under warranty. But that's me. For what the pump cost, $105.48 online, https://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemp...nkcase-cover-2 , it isn't worth the time and concern with taking it to the dealer and hope the job was done right. But if the engine threw a rod or sucked a valve, while still under warranty, that might be something I would let the dealer take care of. Only because of the cost of the parts involved, but if they supplied all the parts I would rather do the work myself.

No doubt and Iím doing the repair myself. Almost all the parts are in my possession right now just waiting on the pump assembly and 6 orings and Iím set. These clowns specifically the troll above (the one hiding behind the screen name that I know) donít know how good I really am at working on my own stuff and pretty much the whole group I ride with. **** they bring all their bikes to me!

Iíve been on road race teams where we did engine swaps under an ezup at night with flashlights to make the grid the next day. A water pump is nothing to a real mechanic haha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page