Unsteady throttle response at low speed - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By TequilaSqueela
  • 1 Post By lee711
  • 3 Post By TequilaSqueela
  • 1 Post By lee711

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Unsteady throttle response at low speed

Hi everybody. New member and new AT owner. My stock 2018 with 500 miles is impossible to ride slow and steady. The throttle response is abrupt and jerky and is driving me mad. This is only a problem I associate with a poorly mapped aftermarket FI control not an OEM setup. Is there anybody who's had this problem and found a remedy? I've spoken briefly to my dealer and they look at me like I'm a nut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 06:13 PM

There are about a hundred posts on this topic. The consensus is fuel mapping for modern emission standards. The fix is to use the friction zone.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
feralzoid likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TequilaSqueela View Post
There are about a hundred posts on this topic. The consensus is fuel mapping for modern emission standards. The fix is to use the friction zone.

Tequila, what is the "friction zone"?

cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvmumbral View Post
Tequila, what is the "friction zone"?

cheers!

I think he is referring to the feathered use of the rear brake, the method used to aid smooth bike control at low speed because you have no clutch to slip.
gvmumbral likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 09:31 AM

Oh boy. I forget I'm one of like, three people who chose the manual version. Yeah, adaptation from other mentioned feathering the rear brake at low speeds while keeping the throttle higher to smooth the response.

The friction zone is the term for the degree Arc of engagement for the clutch lever used to modulate wheel speed while maintaining higher engine speed for parking lot maneuvers. It is standard terminology for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. So there is no remapping option available? (aftermarket of otherwise).
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 11:36 AM

Yeah, FZ, there are a bunch of threads on this topic.

But before you start doing anything drastic or giving up hope altogether, can I suggest you check your chain slack? Mine dropped to 63mm within the first 500 miles and getting that sorted made a difference. It exacerbates the sensitive throttle issue. I like my chain slack on the tighter side of the threshold—closer to 45mm (the ATAS range is 45-55mm, the standard AT is 35-45mm).

As I said in another post many months ago, adding just a touch of throttle fixes any of the herky-jerky stuff for me. The bike just seems to *always* want a bit of throttle and it’s not much for idling or coasting.

*However,* I found it got better over time as well. Maybe a bit of breaking-in along with me getting more used to it.

After doing a lot of slow-ride practice in parking lots it got to where I barely notice it anymore. And over time, I was able to idle along in 1st and 2nd with barely any lag or herky-jerky motion—while going from no throttle to just a tad of throttle.

The throttle is pretty sensitive down low, but with time and practice and proper chain slack it got to where I don’t even notice it anymore. Whether I’m in 1st, idling along, doing slow-riding practice, or in 3rd or 4th in traffic, off the throttle. And it’s all about finessing that throttle just a bit—you will get used to it.

It’s a great bike, man.

Hope you get it sorted and ride safe, Gary

2018 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports - Manual.
Setup: Givi Tall Sport Touring Windscreen; Hepco & Becker Lower Engine Guards; Hepco & Becker Handle Bar/ Hand Guard Protectors; Hepco & Becker Tank Guard Soft Bags for OEM Uppers; HTTMT Kickstand Pad Extender (Red);
RAM Mounts X-Grip; Swegotech Forkshield; Touratech Zega Mundo Panniers and 2018 Rack (31/38L); Touratech 20mm Bridged Handlebar Riser; OEM center stand; OEM skid-plate, uppers and tires.

Last edited by garyh; 02-11-2019 at 12:18 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TequilaSqueela View Post

The friction zone is the term for the degree Arc of engagement for the clutch lever used to modulate wheel speed while maintaining higher engine speed for parking lot maneuvers. It is standard terminology for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

Ahh.. makes sense, your phrase was lost in translation UK terminology would be "slipping the clutch" or "riding the bite point"
zippysworld likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee711 View Post
Ahh.. makes sense, your phrase was lost in translation UK terminology would be "slipping the clutch" or "riding the bite point"
he's right you know lol
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 05:12 PM

The most important thing is to develop a consistent slip within the friction zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page