powercommander to cure rough low speed fuelling - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 5Likes

post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

powercommander to cure rough low speed fuelling

I would like to keep this thread purely about the powercommander rather than other methods of attempting to solve the problem (please )
I've done a search of all the subforums on here and it doesn't look like anyone has actually fitted a powercommander yet - if anyone has please shout up and tell us whether it works.
I am talking to Dynojet about fitting one to a 2018 model year bike. They say that they haven't got the kit out yet for the 2018 (but by implication it has been available for the earlier model).
They are also suggesting that for the DCT (because it can't be put on a rolling road dyno) the solution will be a powercommander 5 plus their autotune module. This is an expensive solution at over £500 but the Africa Twin is such a brilliant bike that it may be worth it if it solves the one imperfection for me (well the heated grips, and the crap outside air temp guage are a nuisance as well )
Whilst browsing their website I have come across what appears to be dynojet's equivalent of the RapidBikeEasy (which didn;t work for me). It's not listed yet as being available for the Africa Twin but I've asked them. Since it's just described as a fuel controller it may be more what we are after if all we are trying to do is solve Euro lean fuelling issues. http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...nder_pcfc.aspx
Mike
PS - I'm also exploring how insurance companies view these products and for this purpose (imroving low rev fuelling) it seems they are quite accommodating - but will report back
VaraderoTwin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 11:32 AM

Thanks Mike, will follow this out of interest. But I don't find that my AT has any low speed issues, even in London traffic. Are the manual versions better on this point maybe? If anything, I find the AT better than my Varadero who had to be in first gear at anything under 20mph lol.
As for the fuelling, I can't imagine it burning more fuel right now or else I'd only get 100 miles out of a tank!

Kawasaki ER-6N (KIA)
Honda XL1000V Varadero (sold, sadly)
Africa Twin 2018 manual,red (my new baby)
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaraderoTwin View Post
Thanks Mike, will follow this out of interest. But I don't find that my AT has any low speed issues, even in London traffic. Are the manual versions better on this point maybe? If anything, I find the AT better than my Varadero who had to be in first gear at anything under 20mph lol.
As for the fuelling, I can't imagine it burning more fuel right now or else I'd only get 100 miles out of a tank!
Well my other attempts to cure the lean fuelling (rapidBikeEasy and Hilltop's ECU remap) made no difference to the fuel consumption at all. This in itself made me suspect that they were not affecting the fuel ratio. But I had a great experience with powercommander 10 years ago solving the issue on a Versys.
But can I ask again that this thread is kept purely about the powercommander rather than whether people have or haven't got an opinion on whether their bike stutters/snatches/surges etc. as there are plenty of other threads about the problem.
Mike
PS - at the risk of not following my own advice - I don't think the AT is bad for this, I've ridden much worse bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Just received this from Dynojet (to pass on to my insurers). The claims that the MD makes for the product in the paragraph below, were completely justified when I used it on my Versys, and it made it a pure pleasure to ride instead of (occasionally) really irritating.
Mike
To Whom It May Concern:
The Power Commander is a product which fits in line with the OEM engine management.
It allows us to 3 dimensionally re-fuel the Motorcycle. In doing so the noticeable
difference to the rider is a smoother power delivery, no snatchiness at low throttle
openings, and more progressive and predictable acceleration. This ultimately makes the
Bike easier and more pleasurable to ride, more predictable and in some cases safer (a
snatchy throttle on slippery roads can be exceedingly dangerous. It must be noted that in
some cases small Horsepower gains may be made at peak power (usually less than 3%).
It is important not to mistake the Power Commander with “chips” or “chipping” on cars
where on Turbo cars the power can be significantly raised by raising the boost pressure of
the car.
Frank Wrathall
Managing Director
Dynojet UK Ltd
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 11:50 AM

I have a PCV in my cart for just this reason, but am hesitant to pull the trigger without more info. A fuel controller from Dynojet is in the works- and should be cheaper, to accomplish a similar goal, but the descriptions on the website just make it sound like it does the same thing, but less.

My only nagging issue with the AT is snatching throttle in stop and go traffic. I would love to hear a positive outcome with another PCV user on this.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Further update direct from Dynojet in the UK.
Long telephone conversation with their guy Richard who rang me. Apparently they have done quite a few AT's already but all the owners must be on ADV-rider rather than on here.
BUT - he says the 2018 bike is different. The 16/17 bikes could use a simple o2 eliminator but they are waiting for an o2 optimiser to be finished and delivered from the States which is essential before the powercommander will work with the 2018 onwards bikes..
They are busy producing a map that will work with the Powercomannder 5 plus this optimiser and when they know what bike it's for they will put that map in the Pc5 before it's sent out. That way he reckons we won't need a rolling road or to spend money on their autotune module.
Mike
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 06:17 PM

You can put the DCT on a rolling road dyno, you just have to be a bit creative & Im surprised Power Commander or any of the other tuning module companies hadn't thought of it.
All you need to do is purchase a spare ABS wheel sensor, unplug the front wheel sensor, plug in the spare sensor & temporary mount it to the rear wheel, by doing this the bike thinks the front wheel is spinning & the bike should work as normal
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetiboy01 View Post
You can put the DCT on a rolling road dyno, you just have to be a bit creative & Im surprised Power Commander or any of the other tuning module companies hadn't thought of it.
All you need to do is purchase a spare ABS wheel sensor, unplug the front wheel sensor, plug in the spare sensor & temporary mount it to the rear wheel, by doing this the bike thinks the front wheel is spinning & the bike should work as normal
Yes Dynojet said they'd heard about some shops doing something similar.
Mike
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 07:07 PM

RevZilla says the PC5 is compatible with the 2018 ASA. So that isn't accurate, I take it?

post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 04:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TequilaSqueela View Post
RevZilla says the PC5 is compatible with the 2018 ASA. So that isn't accurate, I take it?

Not necessarily untrue I guess. European bikes have to comply with different rules from those in the USA so it's possible that a PC5 works with a 2018 non-euro bike. However, the way Dynojet in the UK described the O2 sensor and OEM software working on 2018 bikes sounds like something that would be on all the bikes rather than just some, so it's possibly an error on Revzilla's part.
Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page