Engine Braking - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 6Likes

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5100 View Post
Depends whether you want comfort or speed. If you like driving hard then having high engine braking is probably a good idea, but for me the constant slamming backwards and forwards is just tiring. So surely it's better for us to be able to choose how much engine braking we want?
Mike
That's what the throttle is for - feather it for light engine braking, close it for more. I do understand people like the ability to tune a bike to their needs and throttle by wire allows for a lot of electronic wizardry. I just wish Honda would spend a few bucks on the suspension instead of electronic stuff.
ORVdaveVA likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black99S View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5100 View Post
Depends whether you want comfort or speed. If you like driving hard then having high engine braking is probably a good idea, but for me the constant slamming backwards and forwards is just tiring. So surely it's better for us to be able to choose how much engine braking we want?
Mike
That's what the throttle is for - feather it for light engine braking, close it for more. I do understand people like the ability to tune a bike to their needs and throttle by wire allows for a lot of electronic wizardry. I just wish Honda would spend a few bucks on the suspension instead of electronic stuff.
I’ve heard of feathering the clutch but never before heard of feathering the throttle. It’s so sensitive at the bottom end, I doubt I’d be able to control engine braking via the throttle. And wow - it just shows how difficult it is for Honda to cater to all tastes because the reason I’m buying another Africa Twin is mainly because I think the suspension is just brilliant.
Mike
MPNM likes this.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

I wasn't questioning the benefit of engine braking, I only asked out of curiosity as to what was actually going on in the engine. As we know, trucks fitted with the old type exhaust brakes worked by the compression of the exhaust being released to the inlet on valve overlap at the end of the exhaust stroke. The compression stroke had no effect as after TDC the resultant cylinder pressure acts pushing the piston down. Other variants (ie Jacobs brakes etc) change the valve timing, effectively turning the engine into compressor. If the AT only works by closing the inlet butterfly, I could be wrong, but if this is the case, it seems little more than a token gesture.

I am sure there is a Honda technician out there that will answer my curiosity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 09:17 AM

I was under the impression that exhaust brakes on trucks are only fitted to those with diesel engines, which are not throttled (no carburetor blades, no intake vacuum). The closure of the exhaust path increases the backpressure, which has the same effect as closing the intake blades. But I could be mistaken.
The Honda variable engine braking feature can only work by keeping the throttle blades open a small amount, which would reduce the braking effect. It would appear that this may be beneficial in repeated very low-speed, small-throttle-movement circumstances, to smooth out the jerkiness.
RayCollington likes this.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowjack View Post
I was under the impression that exhaust brakes on trucks are only fitted to those with diesel engines, which are not throttled (no carburetor blades, no intake vacuum). The closure of the exhaust path increases the backpressure, which has the same effect as closing the intake blades. But I could be mistaken.
The Honda variable engine braking feature can only work by keeping the throttle blades open a small amount, which would reduce the braking effect. It would appear that this may be beneficial in repeated very low-speed, small-throttle-movement circumstances, to smooth out the jerkiness.
Presumably if this is what Honda are doing they could only open the butterflies when the throttle was fully closed (otherwise they knock their Euro emissions figures for 6 even though there would be modes where they would still be compliant)?
Mike
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 08:45 AM

I imagine the fuel is cut off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page